Spyder Garage

Default GPS recommendations?

I gave up trying to pair my phone with the 2019 RTL dash gps... never could figure it out and was disappointed when I learned I had to purchase sygic or another. I miss my garmin. Y'all have any recommendations? I'm looking at the Zumo XT. TIA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StillKickin View Post
    I gave up trying to pair my phone with the 2019 RTL dash gps... never could figure it out and was disappointed when I learned I had to purchase sygic or another. I miss my garmin. Y'all have any recommendations? I'm looking at the Zumo XT. TIA
    Unless you describe your parameters for a gps, the recommendations will be all over the place.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Garmin Nuvi Has been on all my bikes and cars for several years. Works great.

Spyder Garage

Garmin Zumo XT is on sale direct from Garmin right now ($100 off so $399)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Garmin Zumo XT is the newest one from Garmin and many members here have got one and seem to like them so far. They are on sale right now at Garmin also. https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat...12f4f8f26c60c6 and you would have to get a way to mount it try this from Lamonster Garage http://www.lamonstergarage.com/gps-mount-2/
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

If you are one of those folks that is looking to save some money and go with an alternative type GPS then there are folks using rugged smartphones such as Duraforce Pro as a GPS - maps need to be downloaded to the phone, does not require cell service just a google account. Here is a thread form another forum going through some of the details: https://advrider.com/f/threads/ultra...guide.1206076/

I was able to easily get my phone to connect through BRP Connect and bought Sygic and really like it. I make routes online and send directly to the phone and they can be saved in favorites. I had already decided if it didn't work out I would go the rugged cell phone route. The rugged cell phones are waterproof , can take high temps (I think 130 F) have a more modern android operating system etc etc ... A Garmin will cost you $400 . The post above also covers how to load free maps on to the phone ... depends on if your into this kind of thing but since you asked !!

Spyder Garage

The XT gets good reviews. If my 595 dies, I'll be looking at the XT. If you have RAM hardware you can put a mount on the bars until you find a more elegant placement.
    I don't like putting all the eggs (gps) in 1 basket. Cell service in remote areas is iffy and Garmin sats give 2nd source.

WARNING! Do not run both Garmin & phone mapping routes together! Guaranteed frustration wondering who to follow and you will be yelling at your devices.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Garmin Zumo 595LM mates with BRP Connect and can use BRP Spyder mount. I have one and it works great. Goes thru rain, extreme heat and snow (so far)!
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Currently Sygic is under $20, compared to the cost and mounting of a Garmin, Why? https://eshop.sygic.com/en/
    https://www.sygic.com

The BRP Connect app has links to tutorials.

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Unless you describe your parameters for a gps, the recommendations will be all over the place.
    What parameters would you recommend for GPS? Responders will state the one they have whether it's a Garmin, Tom-Tom, Magellan etc. or cell phone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    What parameters would you recommend for GPS? Responders will state the one they have whether it's a Garmin, Tom-Tom, Magellan etc. or cell phone.
    Cheapest or fanciest?
    Easy to use or complex?
    Known brand or off-brand / cutting edge / novel?
    Focus on urban locales vs complete coverage of outlying areas?
    Greatest database of POIs, or compact?
    Supported by phone apps, computer based mapping or not?
    BT integration with other devices or not? How well does it integrate?
    Full complement of available maps for north, central and south America or not?
    Free updates on maps or subscription based?
    How often and how accurate are the updates?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

On my wife's 2018 F3L she has the Garmin 595 with sunshade and on my 2020 RTL I have the Garmin XT. The XT is so much better with a display that is easy to see in bright daylight. No sunshade needed! I paid $499 for mine and still consider it a bargain compared to previous Garmins. At $399 I'm considering getting one for my wife.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your replies, lots of great information, I appreciate it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Cheapest or fanciest?
    Easy to use or complex?
    Known brand or off-brand / cutting edge / novel?
    Focus on urban locales vs complete coverage of outlying areas?
    Greatest database of POIs, or compact?
    Supported by phone apps, computer based mapping or not?
    BT integration with other devices or not? How well does it integrate?
    Full complement of available maps for north, central and south America or not?
    Free updates on maps or subscription based?
    How often and how accurate are the updates?
    Thanks for the answer. The reason I asked is I that the only parameter I have ever seen (on this or any other site) was a question regarding how long a particular GPS unit will last on battery power. And I couldn't think of any except maybe cost and weatherproof.
    Anyway thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Let me just suggest AVOIDING the Zumo 396.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

The Zumo XT is a significant improvement over previous gen Garmin units. MUCH faster processor for smooth interaction and quick response and a color display that is plainly readable in bright direct sun with no shields or hoods required. Its an amazing upgrade from older Garmin units and any phone ap.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StillKickin View Post
    I have the Garmin I use in my car (not the water proof motorcycle type for lots of $$) I installed the ram mount with USB ports and bougth a water proof hooded case that fits my phone or Gramin. Have used this method on several motorcycles and now my Spyder. Works great for me and half the cost.
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green