Spyder Garage

Default Another touring thread.

Well, do I need to be committed to an insane asylum or just need encouragement?

In a week, I begin a 17 day tour of the West starting in Indianapolis and heading to Sturgis then to Seattle then down to San Francisco then to Yosemite then to Lake Tahoe and then backed in Indianapolis - all on a 2019 Ryker Rally. Am I insane?

Spyder Garage

You are not insane just adventurous. Are you camping or moteling?
    I wish I could make the ride with you but working gets in the way.
    I was stationed in Tacoma and now live near Tahoe. You will be riding thru God's country.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

How many miles do you think you will end up covering?Interested in seeing how the Ryker handles the miles!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post

In a week, I begin a 17 day tour of the West starting in Indianapolis and heading to Sturgis then to Seattle then down to San Francisco then to Yosemite then to Lake Tahoe and then backed in Indianapolis - all on a 2019 Ryker Rally. Am I insane?
    No more than all the other crazies going to Sturgis

That's a lot of miles in a day of riding. More of endurance riding than touring. If that's what you want, then you're not crazy.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

17 days may be a stretch unless you do lots of slab. Assuming you ride (saddle time) for 8 hrs/day you'll travel 300-400mi/day depending on pace. Add in any sight-seeing and do the math.
    If you come up short, add more slab, ride longer/day or shrink route.

BTW, be sure to include Beartooth Pass on the way by. Just returned from a loop from NJ to Yellowstone. Worth the detour if you like mountain riding.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a buddy, a Navy SEAL, who rode a Bultaco across the country in a week. But, yeah, he was nuts.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

What model? I still an Alpina and a Sherpa T. My best trip was from Lincoln Nebraska to Key West, Cuba and back.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    What model? I still an Alpina and a Sherpa T. My best trip was from Lincoln Nebraska to Key West, Cuba and back.
    Well, this goes back to the '60s. Tom raced motocross so I think it was some kind of one-cylinder bike. I met him in Vietnam, where he told me that he'd ridden this bike from San Diego to Maryland to take it home before deploying. He said he was numb for days after... He also slept along the roadside on the trip, not having the money for motels, which I can completely relate to...but that's another story.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Only 3 days over 500 miles. Most 300 to 400. Overall about 6,500 miles. But, I planned such that they are all downhill!! Yes, we will do Bear Tooth.

Spyder Garage

Did I say I have 28,000 miles on my tryke?

Spyder Garage

Bon Voyage! Lots of boring plains but it's great therapy.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I live in Portland (for better or worse) and am very familiar with the NW and the coast to LA. If you want some tips on what to do and not to do, email me at zittenfields@Q.com. I'm more than happy to help.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did I say I have 25,000 miles on my tryke?
    In that case, I'm not sure what you're asking, actually.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Did I say I have 25,000 miles on my tryke?
    Ryker or Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Sanity is a perspective relative term at least get some good pics & souvenirs along the way if you care to try maybe additional achievement https://www.ironbutt.org/ ENJOY all the same

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Touring is great. Good luck on your trip. In a car, a person can average 50 MPH - 300 miles approximately 6 hours. On a motorcycle, more stops and for longer generally, add 3 hours to this estimate so a 6 hour day is approximately 9 hours. Just works out that way. This is unless you are doing the Iron Butt ride, and have to make the distance. Cheers
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Beartooth Pass is great, but there is a lot of construction coming down the south side. Also take Chief Joseph Highway into Cody

Only 3 days over 500 miles. Most 300 to 400. Overall about 6,500 miles. But, I planned such that they are all downhill!! Yes, we will do Bear Tooth.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

17 days!!! Come on, make sure you mount a go pro on the back of the bike, so you can revisit where you have been!!! Good luck and take a tube of prep H, and gold bond!! Have fun
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I actually prefer Monkey Buttons applied liberally

We will be doing Chief Joseph. Then, in Northern Idaho, Lolo Pass. Will be checking out Mounts Ranier & St. Helens and then heading down Washington and Oregon coast to the Avenue of the Giants in No. California. On way back, will head across Nevada on 50 "Loneliest Highway" than up to Bonneville Salt Flats then superslab home on 80.

Spyder Garage

I actually prefer Monkey Buttons applied liberally

We will be doing Chief Joseph. Then, in Northern Idaho, Lolo Pass. Will be checking out Mounts Ranier & St. Helens and then heading down Washington and Oregon coast to the Avenue of the Giants in No. California. On way back, will head across Nevada on 50 "Loneliest Highway" than up to Bonneville Salt Flats then superslab home on 80.
    Keep in mind, there are almost no ocean views from Hwy.101 in Washington, save for a few yards at Kalaloch. The best views along 101 are from Yachats (say ya-hots) south. With the limited time you have, I suggest you avoid the large cities as they are terrible traffic choke points. If you want a taste of CA Hwy.1, do the section south of Monterey. The section north of SF will eat up a lot of time, but if you are into doing tight curves, go for it. There's miles and miles of 'em. When in San Luis Obispo, you gotta stop in at the Madonna Inn and use the downstairs men's restroom.
    Want more tips? Email me - address in a previous post.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the ideas. I will not be able to make it South of San Francisco as we will be heading inland to Yosemite from San Francisco.