Spyder Garage

Default Shocks versus sway bar

Just got back from LaMonster's in Nixa. Went for laser alignment and a sway bar. Mechanic suggested Elka shocks instead. I know, I know - more money - good salesman. I bought the shocks and he recommended not getting the new sway bar. Said that most bar replacements were an attempt to compensate for poor shocks. I know I am new to all of this (lifetime on two wheels) but does this sound accurate? The bike really feels much more "planted" and less sensitive to road irregularities. I can always add the stiffer bar later. Thoughts?
    2021 F3S Special Series , Grey / Black / Orange

Spyder Garage

My two cents, it all comes to personal preference, the swaybar is a good upgrade, I have a f3s build in 2019, with fox shocks, and a swaybar, and I am perfectly happy with em.
    even put less preload on the front shocks, cause with the new michelin tyres, the bike was to harsh. in the rear I have a fox rc2 shock, which took some time to get dialed in properly, but now my spyder performs as I like it.
    Elka's are good shocks, just keep in mind that they will need a little maintenance, after a few years, depending on how much you drive, shocks will loose performance overtime, but it goes gradually, so many people don't even notice that.
    But hey, how often do you change shocks on your daily driver... BRP offers a good package from the getgo, but we all want to personalize our stuff.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    My two cents, it all comes to personal preference, the swaybar is a good upgrade, I have a f3s build in 2019, with fox shocks, and a swaybar, and I am perfectly happy with em.
    even put less preload on the front shocks, cause with the new michelin tyres, the bike was to harsh. in the rear I have a fox rc2 shock, which took some time to get dialed in properly, but now my spyder performs as I like it.
    Elka's are good shocks, just keep in mind that they will need a little maintenance, after a few years, depending on how much you drive, shocks will loose performance overtime, but it goes gradually, so many people don't even notice that.
    But hey, how often do you change shocks on your daily driver... BRP offers a good package from the getgo, but we all want to personalize our stuff.
    .... Shocks/ Springs address a different area than a better Sway-Bar will ..... IMHO I would have just gotten the Sway-bar ... I have heard too many complaints about what can happen with HD shocks/springs .... maybe you won't have that issue...... I went a completely different route and achieved a much better all-around Ride ... I designed a bracket that moved the Shock/spring to a more up-right position and I'm very satisfied with the results ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The sway bar was 1st & improved the handling on my 20 RT. Less roll in corners and more stabile at speed. Did tires next - huge improvement in cornering speed. Did front shocks and now I keep up with my very spirited 2-wheelers (assist to PV3 & PC). Awaiting rear shock as final act.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Deleted

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... Shocks/ Springs address a different area than a better Sway-Bar will ..... IMHO I would have just gotten the Sway-bar ... I have heard too many complaints about what can happen with HD shocks/springs .... maybe you won't have that issue...... I went a completely different route and achieved a much better all-around Ride ... I designed a bracket that moved the Shock/spring to a more up-right position and I'm very satisfied with the results ..... good luck .... Mike
    Pics??
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Sorry no pics (I'm kind of a luddite). I don't have an opinion on this (one versus the other), I just had not heard that shocks made a stiffer sway bar less important. Thought maybe this was a topic that you had bounced around (pun intended). I am still at the point of gripping my bars so tightly that my hands go to sleep so I have a ways to go. Learning to relax at 70+ is harder that I would have thought.

Spyder Garage

I have a lot of respect for LaMonster but I think the salesman gave you incorrect advice. Upgrades in suspension/ride for me would be alignment, tires, sway bar, shocks. In that order. You're half way to "as good as it gets". Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Just got back from LaMonster's in Nixa. Went for laser alignment and a sway bar. Mechanic suggested Elka shocks instead. I know, I know - more money - good salesman. I bought the shocks and he recommended not getting the new sway bar. Said that most bar replacements were an attempt to compensate for poor shocks. I know I am new to all of this (lifetime on two wheels) but does this sound accurate? The bike really feels much more "planted" and less sensitive to road irregularities. I can always add the stiffer bar later. Thoughts?
    They told me the same thing and so far I'm quite happy with my '21 RT with the Elkas.I think it helps for posters to say what year/model machine they have so we can better determine the benefits of any of these upgrades. They convinced me on the Elkas even though more money and also reading the Elka website. But the tech did argue about my Q5 tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I have a lot of respect for LaMonster but I think the salesman gave you incorrect advice. Upgrades in suspension/ride for me would be alignment, tires, sway bar, shocks. In that order. You're half way to "as good as it gets". Good luck..... Jim
    You know what they say about opinions, I agree with the statement just not the order! Your going to end up with every one of them before your done, so go to the bank and getter done!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

LaMonster has more experience with Can-Ams than I have. As has been stated, it seems shocks address a different set of issues than an anti-sway /stabilizer /whatever/ bar. When turning, the Spyder is forced to the outside wheel. The sway bar counters that by forcing the Spyder towards the inside wheel. By forcing the front wheels to stay on the ground, the Spyder hugs the turn. Shocks...well, we know (or think we know) what they do. I put a BajaRon bar on my '21 F3 and it was a definite improvement. The front shocks are good to go for me. The rear is just okay...even with the occasional two-up shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Pics??
    Look at my Albums ... I have pics ( with explanations ) of the two versions I did ... one for the 08 through 12 frame and the other for the 14 to 21 frame ( RT & F-3 models ) .... If I had a Ryker to work on I could do the same ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    They told me the same thing and so far I'm quite happy with my '21 RT with the Elkas.I think it helps for posters to say what year/model machine they have so we can better determine the benefits of any of these upgrades. They convinced me on the Elkas even though more money and also reading the Elka website. But the tech did argue about my Q5 tires.
    If that Tech was against them ( the Q-5's ) ... then I would say He's clueless about tires .... and I would begin to wonder what else He/She was clueless about. .... It's not like Auto tires on Spyders is a new thing .... good luck ... Mike

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Look at my Albums ... I have pics ( with explanations ) of the two versions I did ... one for the 08 through 12 frame and the other for the 14 to 21 frame ( RT & F-3 models ) .... If I had a Ryker to work on I do do the same ..... Mike
    Looked. Can't find.

Found. Do not like this board software. Had to get on PC to find it.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Touchdown: hang in there till you get more comfortable with the Can Am. I went thru the same tight grip process for a while. It will get easier. You've got good shocks and may not need anything else. If you do, at least the stabilizers won't be overly expensive to add on.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Looked. Can't find.

Found. Do not like this board software. Had to get on PC to find it.
    Well that's disturbing news .... ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I just wanted all around improvement, so I went the all three route. Order was:
    1.) Tires (Q5)
    2.) Sway bar
    3.) Front shocks

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I did Q5s and front Elkas on my '21 RT. The other day I tried some serious side to side maneuvers at about 40 mph as if I was doing a tight cone course or doing obstacle evasion and I can't imagine a tighter machine. Like it was on rails, impressive. The nanny never spoke nor did a front tire get off the ground. I know some here have pushed it farther but this is a very stable machine. I weigh 170 lbs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    I did Q5s and front Elkas on my '21 RT. The other day I tried some serious side to side maneuvers at about 40 mph as if I was doing a tight cone course or doing obstacle evasion and I can't imagine a tighter machine. Like it was on rails, impressive. The nanny never spoke nor did a front tire get off the ground. I know some here have pushed it farther but this is a very stable machine. I weigh 170 lbs.
    The heavier sway bar will be most noticeable in hard cornering. Less lean to the outside because the bar pulls the inside down as the outside sags.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The heavier sway bar will be most noticeable in hard cornering. Less lean to the outside because the bar pulls the inside down as the outside sags.
    I should have added hard cornering to my list, no lean that I can tell. One thing Lamonster said was that a heavier sway bar may in fact impede the full advantage of the Elkas. I'm thinking this may be more true for the '20-21s as some say the bar is not that noticeable an improvement on those. I don't know for sure of course, just that the handling is superb once I got rid of the $40 OEM shocks.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ulflyer. I admit I am struggling right now. I may add a sway bar later but right now most of the improvement that I am likely to see will come from improvements in the nut behind the wheel.