Spyder Garage

Default Anyone else discovered oil Porosity on their new engines? 2020 RT

I bought my New 2020 Spyder RT at Dealer “A” in February of this year, it had 1.2 miles on it. After I got it home, I found the Valve cover heavily corrected and oil leaking on the exhaust. I brought it back to Dealer “A” and they replaced the valve cover and troubleshooted the oil leak to the best of their abilities. It still leaked after dealer “A” “fixed it”, So now I enlisted the help of dealer “B” With the direction of BRP it was determined to be coming from the oil pan in the middle of the engine. They gave the go ahead to remove the engine to make the repair. Just to make sure everyone understands removing the engine is major, it requires you to strip off every component and panel in the center section and front of the bike. They removed and replaced the gasket and serval internal O-Rings on the matting flange. This whole process with dealer “B” took more than a month. Last week I was told that they would have it all put back together and have it running. Which they finally did. The only problem is that it’s still leaking from a new place. So now I’m back to square one with an oil leak and no bike. I have asked PRP to please just replace the engine or the bike. Unfortunately for me they said no, we don’t want to replace your engine. Apparently, the fix is to take some special epoxy and use it as a barrier to prevent oil from leaking from the area on the case where the porosity is. Any one else seeing this issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As I stated in your other post that is a H.S repair. Why not just put bubble gum on it.

Spyder Garage

Another Spyder owner who posts on SL experienced an engine porosity problem and BRP replaced the engine.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Would be nice if I could get in contact with him.

Spyder Garage

Here's the link. Read Post #71. Good luck!

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This porosity engine issue was seen on several 2014 1330 back when first introduced...I just recently seen another new owner of a 2020 or a 2021 that had the same issue but BRP replaced his complete engine...As far as I know BRP replaced all the engines back in 2014...I seen one at my dealer being replaced and it was a MAJOR task...

I WOULD NOT BE ACCEPTING A EPOXY FIX...

larryd

Spyder Garage

Is that H.S.= Horse ***** or Highly sanctioned repair? LOL

Spyder Garage

Does Ohio have a "Lemon Law"?
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Yes sure does. I will most likely use it if I don’t get a new engine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Another Spyder owner who posts on SL experienced an engine porosity problem and BRP replaced the engine.
    What is engine 'porosity'? I've never heard of such a thing in metal.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

What is porosity you might ask? Porosity in metal is a manufacturing defect that can leave your engine vulnerable to a wide range of potential problems like an oil leak. Why does this happen? As metal cools and hardens, it also shrinks. This shrinkage may result in the formation of pores, which could adversely affect the metal’s structural integrity.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rolick22 View Post
    What is porosity you might ask? Porosity in metal is a manufacturing defect that can leave your engine vulnerable to a wide range of potential problems like an oil leak. Why does this happen? As metal cools and hardens, it also shrinks. This shrinkage may result in the formation of pores, which could adversely affect the metal’s structural integrity.
    That's interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

GM had trouble with aluminum pickup wheels that leaked for the same reason. The fix was to apply silicon sealer to the inside of the wheel. Which is also H.S.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

This is at least number two, that has had this problem with that year!!! Good luck guy's!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...I enlisted the help of dealer “B” With the direction of BRP it was determined to be coming from the oil pan in the middle of the engine. They gave the go ahead to remove the engine to make the repair. Just to make sure everyone understands removing the engine is major, it requires you to strip off every component and panel in the center section and front of the bike.

They removed and replaced the gasket and serval internal O-Rings on the matting flange. This whole process with dealer “B” took more than a month. Last week I was told that they would have it all put back together and have it running. Which they finally did. The only problem is that it’s still leaking from a new place. So now I’m back to square one with an oil leak and no bike. I have asked PRP to please just replace the engine or the bike. Apparently, the fix is to take some special epoxy and use it as a barrier to prevent oil from leaking from the area on the case where the porosity is.
    Isn't the oil pan separate from the engine block? If so, wouldn't it make sense just to replace the oil pan rather than the entire engine? What am I missing?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That was the first leak. I think it was right where the oil pan meets the two halves. Now the new leak is some place different then the first leak. I’m really uncertain where the second one is at this point.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That was the first leak. I think it was right where the oil pan meets the two halves. Now the new leak is some place different then the first leak. I’m really uncertain where the second one is at this point.
    Where would they apply the epoxy then? What a conundrum.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hope to find out

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 RTL and had a leak when new that seemed to go away, until I did my 2nd oil change at 7000 miles. The oil was running down the front of the engine on the right side and running along the bottom of the engine on the right side. The dealer replaced the oil cooler o rings/gasket. First ride 150 to 200 miles no leak, 2nd ride 150 to 200 miles oil was back but not as much. I stripped off the plastic on the right side and started it up and taped my throttle at 2500 to 3000 RPM's. After 20 to 30 minutes of watching and wiping I found a plug by the oil filter housing leaking a very small amount. I got an allen wrench on it and tightened it about 1/8 turn and the leak stopped. I've been about 700 miles since and found it dry after each ride. It was the allen head screw between the filter housing and the wire loom in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red