Spyder Garage

Default Strike 4 Against My Dealer

I test road a Sea to Sky and liked it (except for the color). The dealer didn’t have any others and it would be a month or more to get one, so I ended up purchasing a Marsala Red Dark edition, just what I wanted, from another dealer an hour away. It was the easiest sale the dealer ever had.

I picked it up a few days later and when the salesman went over it with me, he pulled a baggie out of the trunk with a tumbler lock in it and said, “Oh yeah, this is an extra lockset in case you buy a trailer”. I thought cool, but I’ll never use it and wondered why Can Am would include it?

I got it home and went for a ride that night with my wife, when we got to our destination, I opened the trunk to put her helmet in it and discovered it was missing the lock. I tried my key in the “extra” tumbler and it didn’t work. After several calls to the dealer and much delay, I just learned that the tumbler cannot be re-keyed and that I need to bring the bike in for 3 ½ hours of labor to replace all the locks on the bike. Strike 1

I knew I wanted a belt tensioned and asked my salesman if my bike had one. I was told that it didn’t, and that they are on backorder, and it couldn’t be done in time for me to pick it up with the bike. So I ordered one. I just removed all the Tupperware to discover that, sure enough it had a factory tensioner installed. I removed it and installed the one I purchased since it was billet aluminum and had a double roller bearing. I now have a factory tensioned for sale. Wish I hadn’t gone through all that work to learn something I should have been told. It wasn’t a hard job, just time consuming. Strike 2

I liked the S2S seat and ordered it for my RT Limited. When it came in, I drove 2 hours roundtrip to get it. I brought it home to find the dealer goofed and ordered me a non-heated comfort seat. A week later I returned it (another 2-hour round trip) and picked up the new seat. I got that home and discovered it was heated, but 1-piect for a 2019 Spyder RT. I finally received the correct comfort seat, delivered to my home today. It’s nice. I still have to return the 2nd wrong one. Strike 3

At the time I picked up my seat, I picked up the passenger armrests the dealer ordered for me as part of my purchase. I got them home to discover, in the unopened BRP box that there were 2 left armrests. Back to the dealer to exchange a left for a right one in a box that had just come in to the dealer. When I got there and they opened the box, they found it was missing the left armrest entirely. I am supposed to get the correct left armrest tomorrow. This time the dealer swears they physically checked it. Strike 4

It is going to be nice on Saturday, I have the bike mostly back together and hope to ride.

I hope my luck changes and that my new ride serves me well!

I’ll keep you posted. 😊
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I hope it go's good for you from here on!!! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Only one question, why are you buying from the dealer when you can order them yourself and save the headache driving a 4 hr round trip?

Spyder Garage

Most dealers around here will give bike purchasers a 10% discount on accessories, at least for a little while. Then they seem to forget all about discounting. I think accessories can be purchased on-line from independent sellers for less money even considering dealer discounts. Parts and service are a big money maker for dealers. But you would never know it by the way some dealers treat customers..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

The dealer from Heck! Four tries and four screw ups...kind of makes one wonder.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The dealer from Heck! Four tries and four screw ups...kind of makes one wonder.
    And the crazy part is it is a really nice (looking) dealership. Ditto to the service area - clean, well stocked, organized, etc. It is both the dealership's fault and BRPs fault - in terms of quality control. I ordered the parts with the bike (and got some discount) - they should have been in when the bike arrived - but they weren't. So I was stuck with having to go back and get them.

Spyder Garage

Personally I try to avoid dealerships for anything other than original purchase. From my experience any part can be had at less price pretty much anywhere else and I do all work on my bikes due to less than acceptable experiences with both bike and car dealerships. As an added bonus, the intimate knowledge of your machine learned from working on it yourself can be invaluable if you end up in a situation far from your source of service.

Spyder Garage

Oh wow. That is crazy

Spyder Garage

Default It gets worse!!

Quote Originally Posted by pyuchem View Post
    Oh wow. That is crazy
    So, I finally get the left passenger armrest upright (when I ordered them they came with 2 right hand side armrest uprights). I installed the upright and then the left hand side armrest (horizontal part that the arm rests on) - and discovered it had a manufacturers defect!! So, back to the dealer to swap my defective left armrest with the one in the package that the left upright came from. It's finally on and working, whew!https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...s/banghead.gif

I like the bike. I'm getting used to it.

It certainly does not have the fit and finish of a Goldwing or BMW. And the quality control is pretty dismal. That, I am disappointed in.

I am still waiting for my drivers backrest and for the new locks to come in so they can swap them all out!
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.