Thread: 20 years...

Spyder Garage

Default 20 years...

630,720,000 seconds..
    10,512,000 minutes...
    175,200 hours....
    7,300 days.....
    20 years......
    On June 9, 2001, while working in Manhattan and sitting in a parked car, I was involved in an accident which would change my life, and the lives of my friends, family and coworkers forever. I was left permanently disabled when a vehicle struck our car. I only remember eating a cheeseburger deluxe, fries, gravy and of course a diet coke cause I was watching what I ate..lol.
    I don't remember driving to the location, but I remember telling knock knock jokes to my coworker.
    I don't remember last week, last month, last year, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. I now have a memory for about 5 days. My speech, balance, reading and writing are not too good. But, I'm alive. And, I ryde when I can. And thanks to Can Am, it's how I was able to get one thing back that I figured was gone too. And,I found SL...Which is pretty cool to.
    Never settle. Doctors don't know everything. And, never give up...
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Glad you are here with us.
    Keep riding and maintaining a positive mental attitude.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default You can do it

.......YOU CAN DO IT!!!! ..........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    ...... My speech, balance, reading and writing are not too good. But, I'm alive. And, I ryde when I can. And thanks to Can Am, it's how I was able to get one thing back that I figured was gone too. And,I found SL...Which is pretty cool to.
    Never settle. Doctors don't know everything. And, never give up...
    . No 'accident' like yours for me, Vader, but in my case it's now 36 years 6 days & some hours since the 'event' that permantly changed my life in much the same way; only I do vividly remember pretty much everything about it, even if I can't recall so many other things, especially from 'before'!

I scored a 'Blast Induced Traumatic Brain Injury' that's turned out to be 'the gift that keeps on giving' (where's that sarcasm emoji when I so badly need it! ) and have had soo many 'most likely caused by' events since that I've been told waaay too many times to count that 'most who have [insert applicable terminal event here] don't ever make it to the hospital, let alone recover like you have!' that it's no longer a surprise to hear....

So for me, as for you, pretty much every day is a Great Day, and every day that I get to spend with my family &/or go ryding is a bonus. (My Spyder has made it 'easier' to ryde at will/wherever I want, even if it's not really quite 'essential' to doing that...) And every time I visit another Doctor they learn something new - not usually anything that'll help me per se, but if it helps someone else avoid 'this', then that's gotta be a good thing, doesn't it?!

All of which means that for those who might get a bit sick of me writing 'Ryde More & Worry Less!' I'm truly sorry, but you're just gonna hafta get used to it, cos I reckon that every day that I share with my family, friends, &/or Ryde is a wondrous achievement for taking that attitude to heart and I'm gonna keep on sharing it whenever I feel the need/think it appropriate! Good on you Vader, and keep on proving to everyone how wonderful it is just to still be doing those things that give you joy! .
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2021 at 11:25 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

yes, Can-Amīs are offering the best way to carry a wheelchair with you, in my eyes better than "normal" trikes :

modified 2020 F3-S for paraplegics including handbrake, wheelchairmount etc.
    2020 F3-S , pedalbox black

Spyder Garage

Vader and Peter - you are both truly inspiring gentleman and I feel very honored to be part of this group that you are both members of and contributing to. I appreciate you both sharing your stories and giving us the opportunity to reflect on our own lives so we may feel so grateful for what we have and to put those things worrying us today into perspective. Thank-you again gentleman and hope you are both having a wonderful day!

Spyder Garage

RIDE ON!!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a carbon copy of me, except mine was from a brain infection. I still stutter, my memory is crap and my balance it’s still not the best. But I’m happy to be alive and thank God for my Spyder. Be well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Glad you are here with us.
    Keep riding and maintaining a positive mental attitude.
    Thanks very much..
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter!
    For some, like us, quiting is not an option. My wife was chatting with me the other day. Explaining how far I have come, what the doctors and professionals had warned her about my care, and that we should try and accept the fact I may never speak, walk or be able to care for myself. She said when they told her that, she replied, " You don't know him, or us. He will walk again..he won't quit.". And..she was right.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eschmid2 View Post
    Vader and Peter - you are both truly inspiring gentleman and I feel very honored to be part of this group that you are both members of and contributing to. I appreciate you both sharing your stories and giving us the opportunity to reflect on our own lives so we may feel so grateful for what we have and to put those things worrying us today into perspective. Thank-you again gentleman and hope you are both having a wonderful day!
    Thank you for the kind words...
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    Sounds like a carbon copy of me, except mine was from a brain infection. I still stutter, my memory is crap and my balance it’s still not the best. But I’m happy to be alive and thank God for my Spyder. Be well.
    Thanks, crazy how long it's been for me, and the fact I can recall the events of the day and days prior to my accident in such detail, yet, I have no memory of rehab, wheelchairs, walkers or last week!
    Better than a dirt nap though...
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kudos to you guys.

Spyder Garage

Vader and Peter, Bravo Zulu! Keep on charging on.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Vader and Peter, Bravo Zulu! Keep on charging on.
    Many thanks!
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Kudos to you guys.
    Thanks a lot!!
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Default My modified F3 limited

I was a lineman and got electrocuted in 2008 and lost both arms. But I ride a F3 very modified and it is my escape. I love it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capthook74 View Post
    I was a lineman and got electrocuted in 2008 and lost both arms. But I ride a F3 very modified and it is my escape. I love it.
    Just so friggin awesome that you can ryde! I, salute you!
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Thanks

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You guys give me a new perspective when my knee and hip start hurting a little. God is so good and I have so much to be thankful for!!

THANKS for the post!!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    You guys give me a new perspective when my knee and hip start hurting a little. God is so good and I have so much to be thankful for!!

THANKS for the post!!
    Thanks FCD...

As I said the other day, when a friend was reminding me just how far I have come, how wrong the doctors were and how tough it must be to me some days...my reply was, "Its better than a dirt nap". He laughed and said, "That is exactly why I love you so much. You have said that same thing to me dozens of times. But, you don't remember you have! Sure you had some bad days, some really tough ones that I was witness to, but your attitude has not changed since the day after your accident. You are the most positive person I know!" That was a buddy I have known since 1982, when he moved into our school district. He and I are very close. We both chose professions that few dare to do today. We both have been through more than most folks have, or will or should ever have to deal with. But, though it all, we still try and help others when we can. We still check in on each other multiple times a week..by phone now since we live an hour from each other..and we always remember to think of those who are not as fortunate as we are.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...