Spyder Garage

Default First oil change

Greetings, I just bought a 2018 RT SM6 with 450 miles. Looking through the manual it states first oil/filter change should be at 3000 miles. I have also read on this forum that the first oil change and subsequent changes should be 6000 miles? Could someone clarify this for me please?
    On another note, the ride home was enjoyable, except for the stiff breeze. It really seemed to move the bike around a lot. We stuck to country farm roads for our first ride, I didn’t think it wise to ride the highway.

Spyder Garage

3000 first or after 1 year. 6000 miles after if BRP oil. They say 9000 but that’s to long for me. 8500-10000 if ams oil. I change 8500 with ams.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Engine Oil

First off, Do you have an 'Owners manual' for your Spyder? If not you can download one from BRP. The 'OM' has all the information about the oil and miles/year that are BRPs requirements. SO after the initial 3000 miles oil change. You do the '9300 miles' OIL CHANGE as per BRP.

The Spyder is your 'Baby' so if you want to change oil at less miles you can do so.
    I usually change my oil at once a Year. Because I only get about 6K or 7K miles per year. If are the person that gets out there and enjoys Ryding, You may have to do two or three oil changes a season.

I Hope this helps you with making Engine Oil Change choices.

Worry less and RYDE More. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

You can spend your money any way you want and change your oil and filter as frequently as you want or follow the service intervals in your operators guide that call for oil and filter changes at 9,300 mile intervals after the initial change. The Rotax engineers know what they're doing. Be certain you use oil meeting the API service code(s) specified in your operator's guide and follow the instructions for checking the oil level.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As oils and engine technologies improve we may live long enough to see a 12K or 15K oil/filter change requirements. Some filter manufactures are already at that point. I've submitted several oil samples from my spyder at various milages including the 9,300k suggested limit of usefulness. All have come back indicating still useful, even the 9,300K sample. I'm running Amsoil 10W-40W and Baja Ron's high flow filters. You might think about having the dealer's service department do your first 3K mile service and have them sign your owner's manual. They do more than just change your oil and filter. They safety check a number of items on the spyder to make sure everything is adjusted properly and functioning as it should. At least they are supposed to do that when your spyder comes in for its first service.

Spyder Garage

Some people on this forum have told me it's bad to change the oil before recommended interval. Yeah right. First is the most important to me. After that I'll probably do once a year.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood View Post
    Some people on this forum have told me it's bad to change the oil before recommended interval. Yeah right. First is the most important to me. After that I'll probably do once a year.
    X's 5 In the First oil change 95% of engine debris is filtered out .... I drove mine home from Ill. and changed it immed. ( it 1500 mi.) I would have changed it Sooner if couls have ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Can’t go wrong following the owners manual however if you want to do the first oil change early I would make sure to go with the factory oil… the engineers feel that 3000 miles for the first oil change is ok for proper break in. If you do an early oil change remember that factory oil is semi-synthetic… using a full synthetic might not allow the break in procedure to finish which could cause oil consumption down the road.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FLJester View Post
    ...If you do an early oil change remember that factory oil is semi-synthetic… using a full synthetic might not allow the break in procedure to finish which could cause oil consumption down the road.
    Don't know about motorcycle full synthertic oils but Porsche put that line to bed with Mobil 1 many years ago when they were still producing air cooled engines and installed it on the assembly line. I'd be willing to bet there would be a large font warning in the operator's guide if such were the case with Spyders. Even synthetic oils have come a long way since original introduction.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    As oils and engine technologies improve we may live long enough to see a 12K or 15K oil/filter change requirements.
    I know it's not directly applicable to Spyders, but the recommended oil change interval of the 1990 Acura Legend I had was 15000 miles. That was before synthetics were an everyday off-the-shelf item! Unfortunately someone stole and wrecked the Acura when it was at about 90k miles so I have no idea how many miles were left in it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I drove 10 wheelers for a gentleman in my younger days and he of course required each of us to lube maintain and change oil/filters on each of our trucks. He however only changed the filter on his personal company pickup truck. I enquired about that and he said oil only gets dirty but it doesn't wear out. He'd just changed the filter on a regular basis and added oil. My wife's new jeep has a transmission that never needs an oil change. You can't check the oil or add oil, it's a closed system with a
    no-millage lifetime warrantee.

Spyder Garage

Your first oil change was due long ago. It was at 3000 miles OR ONE YEAR which ever comes first. That 2018 is LONG overdue.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame