Spyder Garage

Default Any Cicadas in Southern Ohio - St. Louis?

We’re leaving Saturday ( mom and dad, wife and myself) with 2 spyders and one toy hauler for a 7 week trip. Dads new toy hauler ordered last fall is still back ordered. So one toy hauler hence the tricky tie down thread. His toy hauler Was suppose to be delivered in May but now August. Should be interesting and like kids again. We’ll go to central campground area and run spyders from there and move on. We actually did this exact trip my senior year summer without spyders of course. Going to Ohio southern rally first next week. Then west to badlands, black hills, bighorns (depends on road construction), to southern glacier area, then Colorado, Utah, flagstaff, and dropping dads spyder off at his winter home is Mesa. Bring his old spyder back to sell or trade for another one for his summer home so run New Mexico, northern Texas, Smokey’s, wythsville area home. Been told the cicadas are really bad in southern Ohio right now. Are they? Said they are bad at St. Louis area. Are they? Care less about the noise. Face/ body impacts I dislike. We were out west 20 something years ago and hit locust on the old Harley and my wife was not happy with me. They should be gone on return trip from the south.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Don't know about St Louis, but none here W of Peoria. Also heard that they were in Indianapolis area.
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Spyder Garage

There are none in N. E. Arkansas / Memphis , Tn. area. if you happen to travel this part of USA.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am just south of Dayton, oHIo. I have none, but my sister, who lives just three miles away, has them ALL OVER.

I am headed to Indiana for this weekend, then to Zanesville the next, not looking forward to meeting all the critters.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Came up 35 thru SE Ohio last Sunday and did not see or hear any, but as soon as we headed west out of Dayton on I70 the noise was deafening. Surprisingly, only had a few hits to my windshield. I guess it may be a crap shoot on whether they'll be there when you go.

Spyder Garage

None in Chillicothe, Ohio, but twenty miles north and northwest they are bad. My sister lives near the small town of Orient in Pickaway County and they are driving her nuts.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    None in Chillicothe, Ohio, but twenty miles north and northwest they are bad. My sister lives near the small town of Orient in Pickaway County and they are driving her nuts.
    You’re the closest so far. Thanks for input on Zanesville.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Yeah, we fairly often get heaps of cicadas &/or locusts plagues here Down Under, but they usually only make a lot of noise & when they're moving across roads, can even block/damage radiators causing over-heating issues; we don't often have too much trouble with birds of that ^^ size here in Oz - ours're usually quicker'n that & rarely get hit straight on....glancing blows tho, they happen, and speaking from experience, that can be terminal (for the bird, anyway! ) as well as making for a bit of a mess on you/your vehicle!

That said, we do sometimes have collision issues with the bigger birds that feed on the abundant road-kill found along many of our major highways; birds like the biiig well fed Hawks & Kites that scavenge the road sides, or even worse, Wedge-tail Eagles that can get to about 1m long/tall, with a wingspan of something maybe a little less than 3m - the biggest, well fed-est eagles weigh in at maybe something between 5.5 & 6 kilos! Hitting one of them while driving a car/truck can be bad enough, but hitting one that's mis-judged it's take-off from feeding on an animal carcass while you're riding a Spyder or any other open vehicle/motorcycle can really ruin your day!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2021 at 11:31 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cicadas

They are In some parts of Indiana. I have not had any dealings with them so far. A buddy has had several Run- ins, with them. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

None in Durham, Maine!!! Have fun ride hard!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Do a search for brood x maps. I know they are in east central Illinois along Interstate 74. Basically near Danville. I’m pretty sure they extend south as well. I’m about 50 miles West of Danville and there are none here this year. Our brood is in 2024
    Longlegs rides again.