Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Camelbak

It has been hot enough around here (107 degrees) to warrant a Camelbak when riding. However, i wonder about using the Camelbak with the seat back i have. Any one use a hydration system with a seat back?
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

On my Valkyrie, I put mine in a tank bag. On the Spyder, I have a small styro cooler I put it into. It works great for me. I am in my 70s and drove across South Dakota in 90+ heat for 13 hours. Staying highlighted is the key!
    There are waterproof soft-sided bags made for cans that can easily be adapted to hold a camelback. https://rticoutdoors.com/shop/coolers/soft-sided

Spyder Garage

Look up motojug.com He makes a bag with6ft hose and bite valve u can mount on the passenger foot peg. It holds a gallon insulated jug. I bought a srainless steel insulated jug by Ozark Trail from Wal mart and have cold water all day, I love it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I have a BRP Comfort Seat with BRP Driver's backrest and I swear by my Camelbak Rogue. The Rogue has been discontinued and replaced by a new Rogue Light model. I routinely ride with the Camelbak if I am doing anything other than running errands except during the months Nov-March when I just throw a water bottle in the trunk. I also have bicycled many thousands of miles with Camelbaks and would not be without one.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I place mine in a tank bag. I wrap it in a large towel for both insulation and collecting the condensation. I run the hose out and clip it to the edge of the map pocket.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

How do you drink if you're wearing a full-face helmet? There's almost no clearance for a tube, let alone a bite valve, with my Arai Signet. (Modular helmets are not an option, as I really have a long-oval head and nobody makes a modular long-oval helmet.)

Spyder Garage

I can't answer that as I do have a modular helmet. Maybe someone makes an angled bite valve that would give you enough room.Sorry.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Baxter, your question prompted me to hit the garage, don my Neotec and try to get my angled Camelbak bite valve between the soup coolers. in short, for me, ANW. In reality I could probably worm the bite valve between my lips to take a drink but there's no way I would try it on the road except at a dead stop. For safety the only way for me would be dead stop, loosen chin strap, shove helmet upward, take a drink. OTOH, that method, even if I had to completely undo chin strap would take less time than a full stop, remove helmet, gulp, etc.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I decided to go with the Motojug. I would appreciate any pictures of the Motojug installed on your machine so I can get an idea how to do a Spyder. Their info on Spyder's is on the light side. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

The Motojug isn't going to solve the full face helmet problem.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

No it isn't tho when you order your Moto Jug ask him for his suggestion. The owner is a long distance rider and From pictures I have seen I believe he wears a full face helmet.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Look up motojug.com He makes a bag with6ft hose and bite valve u can mount on the passenger foot peg. It holds a gallon insulated jug. I bought a srainless steel insulated jug by Ozark Trail from Wal mart and have cold water all day, I love it.
    I contacted Dave of https://www.motojug.com/ and asked the questions being asked here. This is his response;

Re: concern with the bite valve and a full face helmet. I wear a full face helmet and it’s not an issue for me but I can see how some helmets there could be an issue. For example the Scorpion I wear there is plenty of space between the chin bar and my mouth. Like probably 1.5” or so. So for me it’s easy to feed the bite valve in from the bottom of the helmet to my mouth. If I was wearing a Schuberth helmet it would be tougher for me as that space is reduced but is still think I could do it. Someone mentioned an angles valve and I’ve had a few customers swap out the bite valve we provide to an angled one but to me personally I think they take up more room and you have to put it in sideways and twist it to get it to go into your mouth.

Another way to do it is to completely remove the bite valve all together. I did this on a trip not by choice but because somehow my tubing came undone and fell down and hit the road and pulled my bite valve off as I was in the middle of a ride. I had to ride the rest of my ride with no bite valve. I actually really liked it. It was easier to get the water out of and you didn’t have to bite on the valve to get it to open. Only downside is it’s not covered.

As far as mounting on a Spyder it takes a little bit more ingenuity. The Spyder has a lot of plastic and not slot of attachment points but we have customers on Spyder’s that do it. I believe most end up having to remove the seat and attach one of the security straps that go around the jug under the seat and around one of the frame rails running along underneath the seat. You don’t always have to use both straps we send ya. 1 is often times sufficient.

If anyone ever has any questions they can contact me at motojug@yahoo.com or call me at (435)767-8706 I’d be happy to answer any questions someone may have.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    I decided to go with the Motojug. I would appreciate any pictures of the Motojug installed on your machine so I can get an idea how to do a Spyder. Their info on Spyder's is on the light side. Thanks.
    Amazon has the CamelBak Repack LR 4 50oz belt pack (kind of like a fanny pack) you could wear around your waste in front. No back rest interference. doesn't solve the full face helmet issue though.
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I use a different brand of 'Camelbak' that either sits on & is bungied to the seat behind me or it's on the Rivco Rack mounted on the trunk, along with another for my pillion, and the Child Bride & I both have Full Face Shoei GT Air Helmets - fairly tight and close fitting with chin skirts, really not very much extra space in there at all... However, we simply feed the hose into the helmets just below our left ears/behind the chin straps, where the shape of most people's jaws leaves a natural hollow (yeah, on me it does leave a little bit of a 'pressed groove' in my beard once I take my helmet off, but it fits/works fine for me & the beard thing's not a problem at all for the Missus! ); then we run the hose around the bottom inside edge of the chin skirt so that it's tucked into the angle between the (vertical) helmet padding/chin bar & the (horizontal) chin skirt; leaving the bite valve sitting pretty much directly in front of our mouths so that all it takes is opening said mouth & grabbing it with the lips & tongue to pull it in and drink.... Doesn't interfere with anything, conflict with our intercom, or in any other way cause any problems - it's a whole lot easier than some of the similar devices I've hadta use over the years, and it simply works - works well even!

You just gotta look for ways FOR it to work, rather than waste time thinking about all the ways how it WON'T work!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

On the GL 1500 in my Iron Butt Challenge days I used an insulated 1 gallon water jug that I converted to a drinking device. Strapped it into the passenger seat. I did use an angled bite valve. Keep looking on backpacking websites and you will find one. I would seriously try to find a modular helmet that fits. You may have tried them all, but if not I would keep looking. I am not suggesting that you do this, but I would even consider trimming the foam to make a modular work. There are many reasons to wear a modular. Best of luck.

Spyder Garage

Go to MotoJug.com Go to the showcase page and drop down to the 21st row. You will see my Spyder and how I mounted my motojug. There are 2 sets of straps. I have one set of straps that go under the seat and around the frame under the glove box. The second strap goes around the passenger hand grab. There are also 4 straps with velcro on the bottom, I have them crisscrossed under the floor board and velcroed together. The mount is very secure and does not move at all.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    It works for me because I have a Neotec II. I just lift the face up, drink and then close the face. So far it works well.

Spyder Garage

Yes, but we modular wearers don't suffer the problem Fat Baxter has with his full face Arai (Post #6).
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Peter I like the over the ear down the side of the jaw idea. Just for fun I am going to try that even tho I have a modular helmet.
    BTW for those of you not using some sort of hydration system now , get a piece of hose and a bite valve
    (They are quite cheap) and try different routing methods,like Peter's or Dave from MotoJug. Something will work for you,but I can't stress how important hydreation is on these hot days on the Spyders/bikes especially for those of us in the older rider catagory. Camelback,MotoJug, whatever,but find something you can use with your choice of helmet. Once you understand the urgency you will find a solution.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You will see my Spyder and how I mounted my motojug.

There are 2 sets of straps. I have one set of straps that go under the seat and around the frame under the glove box. The second strap goes around the passenger hand grab.

There are also 4 straps with velcro on the bottom, I have them crisscrossed under the floor board and velcroed together.
    Just so I can easily find it again, here's that picture MotoJug on Pegasus1300 (2).jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I know right where it is Pete. If you ever lose it just let me know. In fact pm me and email and I'll send it to you.And some others I think I have.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know right where it is Pete. If you ever lose it just let me know. In fact pm me and email and I'll send it to you.
    I've been playing around with mounting options and think I like the passenger seat best. Bungie net secured to hand rails and the bottom 20" strap around the backrest. Still figuring it out.

I've been trying to upload some pics but I keep getting a message that I don't have the required permissions....
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Do you guys actually ride without stopping long enough to need 50ozs of water on board? My longest day of riding was 750 miles in a day. We got gas, a drink, bathroom break and snack or meal as required. If I drank 50ozs of water w/o stopping I would need another outlet tube. LOL
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    Do you guys actually ride without stopping long enough to need 50ozs of water on board? My longest day of riding was 750 miles in a day. We got gas, a drink, bathroom break and snack or meal as required. If I drank 50ozs of water w/o stopping I would need another outlet tube. LOL
    The issue for me is that I don't stop often enough. The desert Southwest is full of wide open spaces with no shade. I'm better off I think staying moving, but sipping water constantly.
    Last edited by AnthonyG; 07-02-2021 at 03:50 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 12tree View Post
    I would seriously try to find a modular helmet that fits. You may have tried them all, but if not I would keep looking.
    I have a truly long-oval head. No one makes a modular helmet for that shape. I tried a Neotec but it hurt my head too much.