Spyder Garage

Default Replacing the Starter on 2013 RT Limited - how?

I have run past my ability to proceed.

I have a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited and i believe my starter has failed. The story this far is this: It failed to start, When I attempted to start the system stabilized and I hit the Mode switch, stepped on the brake and hit the starter button. The starter attempted to turn over the engine but woudn't. I released the start button and the gages , display, lights and everyhing just goes berserk until turn off the key. I could hear the solenoid click. The battery was fully charged but I had it checked and it was week. I replaced it with a new battery but the same thing happened.

I read about suspect grounds and found nothing. SOO.. I disconnected the starter cable from the solenoid and tried the start routine. As expected the solenoid clicked and the gages were happy since they had not been hit with a heavy battery draw. I first disconnected the battery completely from the bike and using a fully charged auto battery I used jumper cables to connect that battery negative to the engine frame and the positive cable to the bikes starter cable which was not connected to the solenoid. I then connected the positive lead to the positive cable to the starter. Then I shorted the cable to the positive post When I did that the starter again attempted and failed to turn over the engine. It was alive but wouldn't turn over the engine. If the starter had been good it should have turned the engine over.

The only thing I could think of was that there might be a compression release on the engine that was normally used when starting but I found no such indication. Just to be sure I hooked the bike battery back up but left the starter cable disconnected at the solenoid. I again went thru the starting drill and when I hit the start button I also touched off the starter from the other battery. Same result. So I don't think there is a compression relief.

I am now convinced the starter is bad. Now my immediate problem. I CANT FIND THE STARTER. I stripped off the side and upper body panels but not yet the front/trunk panel. If replacing the starter is something I could do without special tools I want to do it. I need help. I'd like to be riding but I can't get an appointment at the dealership until the 21st of June.

Please redirect me if I am all wet on my diagnosis or help me find and replace the starter.

Spyder Garage

Reid you can find the location of the starter using the BRP parts list. it is on the front page top left corner.

Spyder Garage

Here's the Cheap Cycle Parts fiche for it, the same diagram as BRP's: https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...tric-starter-1. CCP should have free shipping at the price of the starter.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Have you tried removing the back spark plug to see if the motor turns over.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Have you tried removing the back spark plug to see if the motor turns over.
    Agreed. The problem is not the starter motor from what you have described. It's something amiss in the engine causing a HUGE current draw on the battery by the starter.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.