Spyder Garage

Default Mini Mate Momentum Trailer - your experiences? Feedback?

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a new Mini Mate camper. At the ripe ol age of 67 I've decided the MM would be a great way to see the Country during my retirement. Most traveling would be one up. I'm interested in hearing pros and cons on the MM. Why you decided on the MM...or why you chose another brand. Any input on the MM and/or Spyder RTL camping in general would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

2F5F4D6F-D1DB-417A-95F4-BDF133A08C40.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Flspyderpilot View Post
    I am very close to pulling the trigger on a new Mini Mate camper. At the ripe ol age of 67 I've decided the MM would be a great way to see the Country during my retirement. Most traveling would be one up. I'm interested in hearing pros and cons on the MM. Why you decided on the MM...or why you chose another brand. Any input on the MM and/or Spyder RTL camping in general would be greatly appreciated! TIA
    My two cents of a worthless opinion:
    I researched the MM ….kool, but expensive for a tent on wheels
    My option was to buy a trailer from WWW.USATrailerstore.com
    I use this to haul my tent and gear. Cheaper ,more viable option. Just a thought.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I considered the minimate, along with others, including the one bikerchris mentioned. I ended up buying a Lees-Ure Lite, which is probably the most expensive one capable of being towed with a Spyder.

There are several considerations, the first being what you are willing to spend. Our starting budget was $3500, but we soon realized the features we wanted were only available in this trailer and just could not find any used ones within 1000 miles of us, so swallowed hard and bought new for over $6k including taxes.

We needed the larger size, because we travel as the two of us and at the time had two small dogs to accommodate as well. We wanted something quick and simple to set up because we didn't want have to wrestle with poles, etc in the dark, in the rain, at the end of a long riding day. I wanted a fiberglass body for longevity and stiffness. I wanted to be able to safely carry extra gear on top of the trailer; now I'm using that surface to install solar panels. I wanted good running gear including wider tires and compliant suspension.

I hope that helps in your deliberations.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My wife and I are Lee-sure Lite fans. I have had several cargo and tent trailers and like the LL the best of all. I pull the LL and my wife pulls a cargo trailer but if I was traveling alone the LL has plenty of cargo space, especially for one person. I also carry a Solar panel and charge a solar generator to power my wifes Cpap. In 2019 we did a coast to coast and back ride covering 26 states, 11,000 miles and 66 days on the road. We are both 70 and plan on riding and camping for several more years. We had planed to ride to Fairbanks up the AlCan this summer but will need to postpone to next summer.
    IMG_2451.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    My wife and I are Lee-sure Lite fans. I have had several cargo and tent trailers and like the LL the best of all. I pull the LL and my wife pulls a cargo trailer but if I was traveling alone the LL has plenty of cargo space, especially for one person. I also carry a Solar panel and charge a solar generator to power my wifes Cpap. In 2019 we did a coast to coast and back ride covering 26 states, 11,000 miles and 66 days on the road. We are both 70 and plan on riding and camping for several more years. We had planed to ride to Fairbanks up the AlCan this summer but will need to postpone to next summer.
    IMG_2451.jpg
    We're hoping to do extensive touring in the northwest this summer so maybe we'll meet up somewhere. My wife pulls the RT-622 with her Spyder. I also use a cpap at night so need to keep the onboard battery recharged. You used to pull a dog trailer I think, as did we.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you can, go through a setup and take down operation a time or two to get a feel of how much time is involved. And make a comparison of the cost of the trailer vs motel cost for the number of times you will use it. I have what I call 'my tent on a trailer'. It's my regular trailer with a fold down tent add-on, all of which I made myself so it's not as well organized for setup and take down as a commercial unit would be. What I've concluded is the time involved in using a tent trailer just isn't worth it for me if I'm going to be primarily doing one night stops. A several night stay in one place is a different story.

This summer parks with RV or tent spots are booked solid. You may find it easier to find motel lodging than camping spots.

As long as you're aware camping while traveling cross country may not be Nirvana, go for it!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Camper for a Spyder

I towed a Minimate with my Honda ST1300. That said the Spyder is more than capable of towing a tent trailer. I did not have electric brakes nor do I think they are needed on a Spyder
    A couple of good friends tow Leisure Lites with Honda Trike and a Goldwing. As for setup and convenience the Leisure Lite is #1 for 2 up camping. Very quick to setup and has great interior space. Great ventilation. Both the MM and LL require setting up with leveling jacks.
    The Minimate is a superb choice for solo camping. Had all the space I needed and had an awning that zipped in place giving me a shade over the door area. I built a small table that I used with a floor mount in the MM. Also wired the MM for hookup to shore power for my CPAP.
    Given my choice I would get a Leisure Lite. Given my budget I plan to get another Minimate.

Check out: www.motocampers.com
    for more information. Also deals on camping gear for sale
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Thanks Pete! The LL was my second choice, but delivery times and prices out of Canada were hard to pin down. Open Road Outfitters is a MM dealer here in FL, and Dale has been very helpful. Enjoy your travels!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Super....I'm a few clicks behind you...and I too look forward to camping/traveling for several years. I really enjoyed all your posts about your cross-country trip and look forward to the same from your AlCan trip. I would love to do the AlCan, but I'm not sure the Spyder (RTL) is up to tackling the rough parts of the road. Belt drive, etc. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Safe travels. Greg

Spyder Garage

several years ago a group of Spyders made the journey to Alaska, we were slated to go but my work got in the way and now that I am retired we are going next summer. I will make sure that we have the missing belt guards installed and if the roads are muddy due to rain we will just camp until the weather changes and they dry up. We will have a open travel schedule and I'm planning on taking at least 4 weeks if not more.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    several years ago a group of Spyders made the journey to Alaska, we were slated to go but my work got in the way and now that I am retired we are going next summer. I will make sure that we have the missing belt guards installed and if the roads are muddy due to rain we will just camp until the weather changes and they dry up. We will have a open travel schedule and I'm planning on taking at least 4 weeks if not more.
    I really enjoyed following your cross country trip last year. Look forward to following you again..... Ride safe. Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flspyderpilot View Post

I have the Bunkhouse. Great plus king bed and lots of extra room (6x6) to put chairs inside plus you can get to storage area without opening whole camper setup

Spyder Garage

Default AlCan

I did the AlCan in 2018 on a Harley Road Glide. The roads were just fine except when they were redoing portions of the road. They do a great job of maintaining the roads in Canada. I think a spyder would have no problems on the AlCan. I plan on doing it again when the pandemic situation gets better. My friend did the AlCan in 2012 and he felt
    the roads were much better in 2018.
    Last edited by Snoozer; 10-09-2021 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Spyder Garage

what about the timeout camper .20210804_110520.jpg20210804_110520.jpg
    2019 f3t , titanium