Spyder Garage

Default Communication in Extremely Rural Areas With NO Cell Phone Signal

I am planning a trip through the state of Washington through the mountains where there is no cell phone coverage for many many miles and on several state forest roads that are well paved but not traveled much at all. My question is has anyone taken the steps to get a satellite phone, just taking your chances, or other? Thanks for your ideas and advise!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Get a Spot tracker. You can send emergency help requests via satellite w/o the expense of satellite phone.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Agreed. This is the most common way of doing it in the adventure riding community. There are several brands with differing features that can be purchased for minimal cost compared to a sat phone.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Lots of options.

I use a Garmin inReach Explorer, an older model. Works well for tracking, contacting people and emergencies. It depends on your pocket book, and what features you want.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

You can rent a satphone from most satellite phone dealers. I have done it a number of times.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

I lived in Washington State for more than 60 years. There are very few places I have not been in the state. Cell phone reception was never an issue or even a consideration for me. The one or two times when I needed assistance, I just dealt with it. Remember, there really was life before cell phones..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
    Lots of options. I use a Garmin inReach Explorer, an older model. Works well for tracking, contacting people and emergencies. It depends on your pocket book, and what features you want.
    Interesting product https://discover.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/personal/

Requires service plan https://discover.garmin.com/en-US/in...#subscriptions
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Get a Spot tracker. You can send emergency help requests via satellite w/o the expense of satellite phone.
    Another interesting and more affordable piece of 'kit' https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/spot-50off-promo?
    (requires a service plan)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

All, thanks very much for all of your advice and experience sharing different options. I really like the satellite text messaging options and with Fathers Day around the corner maybe some special deals coming like UtahPete posted

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eschmid2 View Post
    I am planning a trip through the state of Washington through the mountains where there is no cell phone coverage for many many miles and on several state forest roads that are well paved but not traveled much at all. My question is has anyone taken the steps to get a satellite phone, just taking your chances, or other? Thanks for your ideas and advise!
    If you are travelling in 'mountainous terrain', be aware that satellite phones may not always work too well either! Unless you have a clear & unimpeded view of enough sky that has a satellite in view or passing over so that you can actually receive/send a satellite signal, your Sat phone can be nothing more than an expensive paper weight! And in those deep valleys between high mountains, that might not always be the case - even a dedicated GPS might not work too well in spits & furts for the same reason!

Here in Oz, where about 95% of our population lives in about 10% of the landmass (which is pretty close in size to the lower 48) along the coastal fringe, there's little reason to expand the cell-phone network beyond the populated areas & along some major highways, so the bulk of the country has little or no cell-phone coverage. That means a dedicated GPS unit is far more useful to us Ozzies who travel outside the cities than a phone, be it cell or satellite; and even tho most of our 'Outback' or 'Bush' is of the 'wide open' variety, sat-phones really don't help all that much due to their inherent need to 'see' enough sky/communication satellites to establish that 2-way link, which is not always the case. Even out on the plains there's enough in the way of hills & gullies & dunes, sometimes trees etc too, that we don't always get that 'clear view of the sky'; and especially along the Great Divide &/or in our High Country, unless you are near the top of one of the hills (we don't really have too many 'mountains' here on Oz! ) that's just not always possible! However, due to their 'lesser need' for a continuous 2-way signal connection, GPS units usually work fine, albeit with occasional short drop-outs; and those Spot Trackers & Messengers & their ilk can (usually ) provide a regular enough update to keep those at home informed of your whereabouts & safety. I know of a fella who recently had a dirt-bike prang & badly broke his leg while he was riding alone out in the bush amongst some deep gorges, well beyond cell-phone reception but not really too far from 'civilisation' - his Spot Device alerted home & ultimately triggered a successful helicopter evac!

So while I often travel in areas well beyond cell-phone coverage, and I do carry & occasionally use a sat-phone, it's really not the 'always reliable' communication device that many erroneously think they are, often leaving me with no signal for a few hours or so; but my GPS & Spot Messenger rarely drop-out for more than some seconds - occurrences of a minute or more of 'no satellites' or not enough satellite signals to let them work are pretty rare, even in the deep gorges of the Great Divide & just as deep valleys of the High Country. And I've had pretty much the same experience everywhere I've travelled in the World, too - altho Denmark was great for both GPS and sat-phone use, but then, it is rather flat...

Food for thought maybe?! Over to you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-07-2021 at 08:30 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Another interesting and more affordable piece of 'kit' https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/spot-50off-promo?
    (requires a service plan)
    I have owned a Spot and currently own An Inreach Mini. Research Spot before you jump into that pool! I’m satisfied with my Inreach. Garmin bought Inreach and over time Garmin seems to be tweaking their service plans and removing benefits which ultimately seem to serve to increase cost, IMHO. But overall it works well especially if you download the Earthmate app to use in conjunction with the Inreach. I don’t carry it often using the Spyder, but always had it with me when adventurer and/or dual sport trips since I was in areas without cellphone reception fairly often which has not been the case on the Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where are these areas with no cell service?

Maybe I can finally get away from all these scam calls.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Peter, very excellent info and very appreciated! Thank-You. All is now leaning for no sat phone but a gps type messenger - will be looking to compare and contrast SPOT and Garmin now, thanks everyone for sharing !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Where are these areas with no cell service?

Maybe I can finally get away from all these scam calls.

Go west young man, go west! They’re out there but fewer and further between. But seriously if you press the SOS button it will automatically supply your lat and long to the monitoring company and therefore be provided to nearest first responders. It can also be set to auto notify your emergency contacts. Other than emergencies it can be used to communicate with family and friends by text when not in cell reception areas and can allow family and friends to track you in near real time.