Spyder Garage

Default 1400 Miles later - EVERYBODY should ride Iron Mountain Highway in South Dakota

Hey all,

Returned yesterday from a 1400 mile trip out to South Dakota and back. My Spyder ST was a rockstar, solid and amazing even with the 100+ degree weather. Ride partner is a die-hard 2-wheel guy but even he was a bit jealous of the third wheel on our return trip, which was brutal - 80mph speed limits across the plains of South Dakota with temps between 100 and 104 and a 40mph gusting crosswind. Three-wheels was definitely a benefit.. I got pushed around a bit but at least I didn't have to ride 400 miles partially leaned into the wind while negotiating every other vehicle on the road and how it might change the wind sheer.

If you're every in the mood for an amazing road though - right next to Mount Rushmore is Iron Mountain Highway. It's a fantastic winding, moderately technical road that isn't as heavily traveled as Needles Highway (which is also quite good). Despite the weather and the wind and all of that we very nearly went back to do Iron Mountain a second and third time and would have if we didn't need to start heading back home. I set up a dual-camera system on the Spyder and will have a video of Iron Mountain soon.. point to point it was about a 30 minute ride up and down Iron Mountain including these cool pigtail bridges.

Great trip all in all! Definitely keeping Iron Mountain on my "when in the area" list for the next time I pass through South Dakota.

193773434_10159356640579099_3263762737174657561_n.jpg
    193901353_10159356640454099_8600634290347138304_n.jpg
    193759233_10159356640649099_3526258838791320759_n.jpg
    194317515_10159356640184099_4058925950510183317_n.jpg

2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Next time you’ll have to try Vanocker and Spearfish Canyons, Nemo rd, Hwy 85 from Cheyenne Crossing to Newcastle…..
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I agree with Iron Mountain Road as a must ride while in the Black Hills.

Spyder Garage

Yes. A fantastic ride. Iron Mountain Rd. is a must do.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Outstanding!!! How far is that highway from Deadwood? I'm headed to Deadwood in mid-July (after the 3-wheel rally...darn). Thanks for the pix...look forward to the video! Greg

Spyder Garage

I have done all of those several times, but Iron Mountain Road is my favorite. A nice leisurely ride through some beautiful country. Will be the in 3 weeks to so do it all again. Staying in Keystone as a base. Tentative plans are to do Yellowstone (again) on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Next time you’ll have to try Vanocker and Spearfish Canyons, Nemo rd, Hwy 85 from Cheyenne Crossing to Newcastle…..
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

We did Spearfish Canyon as well, and Needles Highway. Adding the others to my list for next time
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flspyderpilot View Post
    Outstanding!!! How far is that highway from Deadwood? I'm headed to Deadwood in mid-July (after the 3-wheel rally...darn). Thanks for the pix...look forward to the video! Greg
    IrnMtn.jpg

Not far.. the North End is pretty much right at the East entrance to Mount Rushmore. We went from South to North and then continued up into Rapid City for the night.
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

About an hr depending on traffic. A straight shot down 385 from Deadwood, then a left at three forks on Hwy 16 to the Keystone Wye, or go right into Hill City then come in on Old Hill City rd or Hwy 244. The turn off for Iron Mt. rd is just outside Keystone before you get to Mt. Rushmore.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

About an hr depending on traffic.
    I'm a little jealous of your ability to just go hit those roads whenever you feel like it. Your local Can Am dealership in Rapid City was pretty sweet also and helped me out by breaking the welds on the screws holding the silencers in my Akrapovic muffler so I could remove them (which drastically changed that exhaust system for the better)
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Video added to the main post
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Come to the Deadwood 3 Wheeler Rally and ride all of them and more. I love riding these roads as well as the prairie to the north and west and the little towns and out to Devil's Tower, the Bad Lands to the east,Pompeii's Pillar and so much more.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Next year.. I hope to make it out to the 3-wheel rally. Conflicts this year
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The first part of this video has Iron Mt. rd from a little different perspective. https://youtu.be/dySi7tWslkA

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Here is a great video, on the areas tunnels. Bruce https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dySi7tWslkA
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles