Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Update on (MY) Verdestein QUATRAC5 tire wear Yours may vary

Just reporting MY experience here.

Verdestein Quad5 tires. 175/55/R15 Frts. 205/60/R15 Rear

Fronts after 13,441 miles and careful measuring of treads, the tires now both read 8/9/8 (32nds). Now carry 15/16 PSI.
    The Rear after 13,067 miles reads 666 (32nds). Now carry 17/18 PSI.
    Always ride 2 up at +/- 390 total pounds.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Just reporting MY experience here.

Verdestein Quad5 tires. 175/55/R15 Frts. 205/60/R15 Rear

Fronts after 13,441 miles and careful measuring of treads, the tires now both read 8/9/8 (32nds). Now carry 15/16 PSI.
    The Rear after 13,067 miles reads 666 (32nds). Now carry 17/18 PSI.
    Always ride 2 up at +/- 390 total pounds.
    Thank you for this info ...... folks want to know the real life experience of tire performance ...............Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thank you for this info ...... folks want to know the real life experience of tire performance ...............Mike
    You are welcome
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's nice to know what they read NOW, is there any chance you recorded what they were when NEW?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I'm waiting on some results of the new Kenda K2 tire.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    It's nice to know what they read NOW, is there any chance you recorded what they were when NEW?

Sure.................10s across the board.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks.

That's what mine measured, too.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Default Update on experience with Quatrac 5 tires on 2014 RTL

Thanks to the travel restrictions and other things about the last year+, we haven't been on ANY extended trips since Sept 2019, but we have managed "local" travel for a few miles. In the past I have added my 2 cents to the site about experience with the Verdestein Quatrac 5 tires as recommended initally by BlueKnight911. This is just an update as of 04/10/21for those interested. To note too..........we ALWAYS ride 2 up, and at Spyder limits, if you get my meaning !!

Front tires
    Quatrac 5 - 175/55R15
    Tire Pressure - 16PSI
    Miles on tires - 15,637 miles
    Tread depth readings across tires - ALL 8/32.

Rear Tire
    Quatrac 5 - 205/60R15
    Tire Pressure - 18PSI
    Miles on tires - 15,263 miles
    Tread depth readings across tires - ALL 6/32.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to the travel restrictions and other things about the last year+, we haven't been on ANY extended trips since Sept 2019, but we have managed "local" travel for a few miles. In the past I have added my 2 cents to the site about experience with the Verdestein Quatrac 5 tires as recommended initally by BlueKnight911. This is just an update as of 04/10/21for those interested. To note too..........we ALWAYS ride 2 up, and at Spyder limits, if you get my meaning !!

Front tires
    Quatrac 5 - 175/55R15
    Tire Pressure - 16PSI

Rear Tire
    Quatrac 5 - 205/60R15
    Tire Pressure - 18PSI
    I had a lady on a FB spyder page tell me yesterday how wrong I was for having "car" tires on the front of my Spyder! Some just like to drink the Kenda Koolaid!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I had a lady on a FB spyder page tell me yesterday how wrong I was for having "car" tires on the front of my Spyder! Some just like to drink the Kenda Koolaid!
    More than one way now adays to get drunk
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

The Q5's on the front of my 2014 RTS have been great!!!!
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I'm in a few FB Spyder groups and the lack of Spyder knowledge and the misinformation handed out there is overwhelming. I have many times suggested this forum to them.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I'm in a few FB Spyder groups and the lack of Spyder knowledge and the misinformation handed out there is overwhelming. I have many times suggested this forum to them.
    Yup .. Totally baffling

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Front tires
    Quatrac 5 - 175/55R15
    Tire Pressure - 16PSI

Rear Tire
    Quatrac 5 - 205/60R15
    Tire Pressure - 18PSI
    That' s pretty impressive for wear considering your mileage .... I think they start at 10/32's ..... and I know your avg. load so it's looking good .....Thanks for much for the up-dates ..... I discoverd this tire about a year ago and have strongly recommended it since then ..... .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    That' s pretty impressive for wear considering your mileage .... I think they start at 10/32's ..... and I know your avg. load so it's looking good .....Thanks for much for the up-dates ..... I discoverd this tire about a year ago and have strongly recommended it since then ..... .... Mike
    As you know.............because of YOU I got these tires, and as always I appreciate your input and suggestions along the way.
    Stay safe !!
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Based on discussions on this forum I'm thinking of switching out my stock Kendas on my '21 RT. I do some fairly long rides and a 2,000 mile one this summer. Still have to question why I might be doing this but the info here sounds compelling. Presently have 1000 miles on the bike. It seems to track pretty well, some vibration perhaps still in the mirrors after the mirror "fix" so maybe that is tire balance, roundness, etc. Do plan at some point to get the Rolo alignment but would wait till new tires if I did so.

My question is, and I don't have prior Spyder experience to compare, what are the advantages I could expect from changing to the Q5s? Is it worth it or should I just rebalance what I have and get the Rolo. Also, should I stick with the stock 165-55-R15 or go with 175-55-R15? I plan to go to my Discount Tire dealer today and inquire if they have a small cone to balance that wheel/tire combination. I would take the wheels in off the bike.

Finally if I have the Rolo done at Lamonster should I consider the Baja Ron sway bar at same time? I understand the newer Spyders may not benefit as much from this as earlier models? Most of my rides are straighter roads vs a lot of curves.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    Based on discussions on this forum I'm thinking of switching out my stock Kendas on my '21 RT. I do some fairly long rides and a 2,000 mile one this summer. Still have to question why I might be doing this but the info here sounds compelling. Presently have 1000 miles on the bike. It seems to track pretty well, some vibration perhaps still in the mirrors after the mirror "fix" so maybe that is tire balance, roundness, etc. Do plan at some point to get the Rolo alignment but would wait till new tires if I did so.

My question is, and I don't have prior Spyder experience to compare, what are the advantages I could expect from changing to the Q5s? Is it worth it or should I just rebalance what I have and get the Rolo. Also, should I stick with the stock 165-55-R15 or go with 175-55-R15? I plan to go to my Discount Tire dealer today and inquire if they have a small cone to balance that wheel/tire combination. I would take the wheels in off the bike.

Finally if I have the Rolo done at Lamonster should I consider the Baja Ron sway bar at same time? I understand the newer Spyders may not benefit as much from this as earlier models? Most of my rides are straighter roads vs a lot of curves.
    I yield to others who have done things you refer to here. Most I have not. I will say "my opinion" is if you will only have 3,000 miles on after this summer, I would be using that time to think about what you really need to be happy with the ride and experiences you had. Just my opinion.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

I'll certainly have more than 3,000 after the summer but I agree don't rush the after market. Just want to optimize the ride where it makes sense esp for long trips where comfort plays increasing role.

Spyder Garage

Let me assist you on this post .... The Lazer alignment is done with the tires not moving, so even if your TIRES have issues, it WON'T effect getting an accurate Lazer measurement ...... I hate Kenda tires for a number of reasons ( found in my other posts ) ..... however I'm FRUGAL and if they were mine, as long as the problem is not Severe, I would wait until they wore out. This is going to occur at about 11,000mi for the rear, but the fronts could last 22,000 + miles...... Kenda's are weakly made but not dangerous .... " Q-5's " I have 165/60 R-15 size, this costs the least and there is NO good reason to Wider ....... try TireRack, Vulcan or Simple tire .... good luck .... No matter what AUTO you get - Peter & recommend 15 to 17 psi. front ( 17 if you ride aggressive ) .... 18-19 psi, ( 19 if you have a passenger most of the time .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that. Did speak with my tire dealer and he can get the Q5s even if he has to order from Tire Rack. Said he could mount those and do a road force balance. Will hold off on that for awhile. You are correct on the alignment, has to do with wheels not tires. Not sure I have symptoms of alignment issues at this point as it tracks pretty well.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that. Did speak with my tire dealer and he can get the Q5s even if he has to order from Tire Rack. Said he could mount those and do a road force balance. Will hold off on that for awhile. You are correct on the alignment, has to do with wheels not tires. Not sure I have symptoms of alignment issues at this point as it tracks pretty well.
    Among the many, many issues with Kenda tires getting them to balance has been a sore spot with many who have them ..... try a " Road Force " spin balance .... Good luck ....

Spyder Garage

I ordered Vredestien tires a month ago. The 175-55-15 were on back order talked to them today it might be another month they don't have 165-55 listed. Next best option for front tires?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by uralski View Post
    I ordered Vredestien tires a month ago. The 175-55-15 were on back order talked to them today it might be another month they don't have 165-55 listed. Next best option for front tires?
    Right here ... Will work perfectly.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I ordered Vredestine 165-60-R15 fronts for my '21 RT via Discount Tire. 3-4 day delivery. Stock was 165-55-R15 but slightly taller will still fit.

Spyder Garage

I ordered Vredestine 165-60-R15 fronts for my '21 RT via Discount Tire. 3-4 day delivery. Stock was 165-55-R15 but slightly taller will still fit.
    Thanks for that info on Discount Tire ..... I will add them to my list of sellers ..... I'm glad they are selling them now :clap.... Mike ..... Well I just went to their Website they don't list them