Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ragtop suggestions

I might be in the market for a ragtop. I want something sporty but doesn't have to be supercar class. It has to corner well and when I want to pass, well...I want to pass. I'd prefer an automatic but wouldn't turn down a stick. I'd like something relatively modern but doubt I'll get many/any of todays safety features because........my budget is around $12k. I might go as high as $15k for the right car.

I'm really not sure what to even look for. Obviously, one of the previous generation Miatas but I wouldn't know which ones are good and don't know what else to look for.

Suggestions?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mazda MX-5 Miata comes in an automatic. 2003-5 models are under $12k. Top rated convertible by Consumer Reports. Google for those for sale in your area.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Find a worn-out but undamaged C-3 and build it up the way you want it for 15K or under. However, if NC requires a smog certificate that may not be possible.

Spyder Garage

A few years back I had a BMW Z4. I don't remember the engine size but the one I had was the bigger of two available. It was fully automatic or manually shiftable. I loved it. It was a rocket ship that cornered like nothing I have ever driven. There is a surprisingly large amount of roominess inside. My biggest issue was getting in and out, especially with the top up. I'm a big ol' fat guy and the sight of me rolling out of the car was not a pretty one. Good used Z4s are well within your price point. Other than getting in and out the biggest issue is that maintenance is a bit more expensive than for a Mazda or Honda.

I do like the Hondas better than the Miata's but most I have seen have big price tags. Good luck on your search..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I might be in the market for a ragtop. I'm really not sure what to even look for. Obviously, one of the previous generation Miatas but I wouldn't know which ones are good and don't know what else to look for.

Suggestions?
    Bro, you and I are about the same size. Go ahead and get that miata out of your head. I sat in one a few years ago and thought it might work. What I didn't do was shut the door. When I went to take a test ride and shut the door, it was obvious it would not be a fit. For something modern, in the price range, and with some umph, I would say possibly take a look at the Nissan 350 Z. The fit will be somewhat tight for someone of our size, but not too small. I actually thought about one very seriously before getting my mustang. But I could not let go of my V8 obsession. You might be able to even get into a higher milage 370 Z, but a 350 should definitely be in your price range. Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Got your Sports Car - - - -

Here's what you need - Convertible, Sporty, and well within your budget - a 1965 King Midget Model III:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Very funny!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

1994 Mustang 5.0 GT convertible. First year with the pony back in the grill. Available in auto and at their current prices you can put as much mobey as you need to get the handling you want.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    1994 Mustang 5.0 GT convertible. First year with the pony back in the grill. Available in auto and at their current prices you can put as much mobey as you need to get the handling you want.
    I am a huge mustang fan. Currently I am on my 7th one. Yes, the 94, 95 GT was sometimes considered the B****** year. Due to the fact that you got the older drivetrain, but the newer suspension (new for those days). But I loved mine. But if you consider an auto, you might save up for a transmission rebuild. For a few bucks more, he could pick up a 99-04 new edge model with the 260 hp, which really was not too bad. But both of those still have a lot more old tech than he might be looking for. Here is a photo of my 94 5.0. The ultimate one for me was my 03 terminator convertible. The one car that I truly regret selling. But after I got into bike riding, I had to find a replacement. Now I have my 2017 C/S, and it will be around for a long time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Bro, you and I are about the same size. Go ahead and get that miata out of your head. I sat in one a few years ago and thought it might work. What I didn't do was shut the door. When I went to take a test ride and shut the door, it was obvious it would not be a fit. For something modern, in the price range, and with some umph, I would say possibly take a look at the Nissan 350 Z. The fit will be somewhat tight for someone of our size, but not too small. I actually thought about one very seriously before getting my mustang. But I could not let go of my V8 obsession. You might be able to even get into a higher milage 370 Z, but a 350 should definitely be in your price range. Good luck shopping.
    I wondered about the size of the Miata. Thanks for letting me know. The rear end of the ragtop 350Z has got to be one of the ugliest things I've ever seen but I guess I don't need to look back, eh? I've thought about a 'Stang but the newer ones are WAY out of my price range.

Spyder Garage

I wondered about the size of the Miata. Thanks for letting me know. The rear end of the ragtop 350Z has got to be one of the ugliest things I've ever seen but I guess I don't need to look back, eh? I've thought about a 'Stang but the newer ones are WAY out of my price range.
    Oh, you can get into the miata. But if you shut the door, have your cell phone and be prepared to wait on the extraction team from your local fire department. About the only thing that I have experienced close to that was getting into a slingshot, or one of the small lotus cars. As for the looks of the 350 Z, I kinda feel you on that. But with the same drivetrain as the maxima, I have confidence in the 3.5L engine. Besides, I still am not a fan of the F3 Spyders. But when I am riding it, I feel like there is nothing better to be had.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh, you can get into the miata. But if you shut the door, have your cell phone and be prepared to wait on the extraction team from your local fire department. About the only thing that I have experienced close to that was getting into a slingshot, or one of the small lotus cars. As for the looks of the 350 Z, I kinda feel you on that. But with the same drivetrain as the maxima, I have confidence in the 3.5L engine. Besides, I still am not a fan of the F3 Spyders. But when I am riding it, I feel like there is nothing better to be had.
    LOL. I went to a local Slingshot dealer about a month ago. I could (sort of) get in one but if I had to get out quickly, it wouldn't happen. I'm with you, there. Maybe if I was 100# lighter. I couldn't even get low enough to see the speedo. I'll have to see if there's a 350Z 'vert for sale anywhere around me so I can see how I fit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LOL. I went to a local Slingshot dealer about a month ago. I could (sort of) get in one but if I had to get out quickly, it wouldn't happen. I'm with you, there. Maybe if I was 100# lighter. I couldn't even get low enough to see the speedo. I'll have to see if there's a 350Z 'vert for sale anywhere around me so I can see how I fit.
    Don't forget the Chrysler LeBaron ......!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

It will be tight. Not uncomfortable tight, but glove fitting tight. I really thought about one for a long time. My neighbor had one before he moved. The one thing I do know is that the 3.5 engine in those things is pretty much bullet proof and with anything short of total neglect and abuse will last easily to 200k miles. For such a small car, it actually has pretty good room and still has a trunk. Two that I didn't mention, but could be options are the Saturn Sky and Pontiac version. But when the convertible goes down, it takes away quite a bit of your trunk space.

Spyder Garage

You could always look at buying something a bit older & restomodding it.... something classic, with a bit of character, that is relatively easy to mod/upgrade without detracting too much from its classic nature - saaay, a Triumph Stag, or better yet, for $15k maybe you could get TWO!! (You'll probably need a second one for those 'unique spares' anyway!! ) Lotsa great engine upgrades possible; suspension is pretty good to start with; brakes & driveline not too bad but still easy enough to upgrade if you want/need.

Then there's all those other Classic Brit convertibles, or maybe even an early Jap convertible, altho maybe not something quite as small as a Honda S600! Fun cars those, especially with engine & brake upgrades.... but they are tiny!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It will be tight. Not uncomfortable tight, but glove fitting tight. I really thought about one for a long time. My neighbor had one before he moved. The one thing I do know is that the 3.5 engine in those things is pretty much bullet proof and with anything short of total neglect and abuse will last easily to 200k miles. For such a small car, it actually has pretty good room and still has a trunk. Two that I didn't mention, but could be options are the Saturn Sky and Pontiac version. But when the convertible goes down, it takes away quite a bit of your trunk space.
    Between my fat arse and the fact that I carry, "glove fitting tight" may not work. I'll have to try one on. I like the looks of the Saturn Sky but it looks pretty small.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You could always look at buying something a bit older & restomodding it.... something classic, with a bit of character, that is relatively easy to mod/upgrade without detracting too much from its classic nature - saaay, a Triumph Stag, or better yet, for $15k maybe you could get TWO!! (You'll probably need a second one for those 'unique spares' anyway!! ) Lotsa great engine upgrades possible; suspension is pretty good to start with; brakes & driveline not too bad but still easy enough to upgrade if you want/need.

Then there's all those other Classic Brit convertibles, or maybe even an early Jap convertible, altho maybe not something quite as small as a Honda S600! Fun cars those, especially with engine & brake upgrades.... but they are tiny!
    I don't have a garage or the mechanical ability to really work on anything other than the basics. Good idea, though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/convertible/

Autotrader has a pretty good search engine. You can filter on price, transmission type, etc. It came up with options we haven't yet considered here, including the Toyota Solara and VW Beetle
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

One that I forgot to mention is a S197 mustang. That would be year model 2005-2010 with the 4.6 V8. They can be had for around or under $15k. They are pretty dependable and fun to drive. I had an 06 Roush and loved it. Good for us larger people who carry.