Spyder Garage

Question Radio has poor reception & lots of static - anyone else?

Just bought '21 RT Limited (2nd RT I've owned) noticed that I am getting a lot of radio static and stations fading in and out( like the signal is weak) on most stations. Brought it back to the dealer to have it checked out and he could find no problems. Always had strong signals on my old bike and I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue with the new bikes? Thanks in advance for any input!!

Spyder Garage

Same on our new RTL. Guess I was spoiled by the radio (and all audio) on our '06 GoldWing.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Forget the radio and plug in your phone to a USB port.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

yup. my 21 wont pick up any stations at all
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

This may sound strange. I have had my 2020 Spyder RTL for over a year and have about 16k miles. Have never even turned on the radio or listened to music. Can't here it anyway going down the highway. Too distracting in the headset.

Spyder Garage

Some say that they have found a connection some where under the seat that they have found unplugged from the factory!! may want to poke around and find where the antenna plugs into the harness
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Our 21 RTL made 2/21 had radio reception issues. On another thread I saw someone took there’s to a dealer and they found the radio antenna plug under the passenger seat unplugged. I checked ours. It was connected but not fully seated. I unplugged it and found the female side of the plug inside bent over. I used a dental pick and worked it back into shape. Plugged connection together with a locking snap. Reception is much improved now. Appears to have solved our reception issue.

Spyder Garage

I pulled on the antenna on our 20 RT and it came out of the rubber boot. It had never been threaded into the connector. Probably another thing the dealer “forgot”. You might check that too.

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the good info..I'll be doing some checking

Spyder Garage

I don't think it is limited to spyders. I have an Acura MDX I bought new and the reception is terrible. Of course Acura says nothing wrong. I listen to my music on my phone more now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kingz View Post
    I pulled on the antenna on our 20 RT and it came out of the rubber boot. It had never been threaded into the connector. Probably another thing the dealer “forgot”. You might check that too.
    I also had the antenna never been threaded into the boot issue on my 2021 sea to sky

Spyder Garage

Today, I pulled the topcase and left saddlebag plastic. Then pulled the antenna to discover it is 6mm x1 thread stud threaded into the mount. Went to O'Reilly and bought a 31" black, spiral wrapped antenna with assorted adapter studs. But it was 6mmx1 also, so I just cut the head off of a 6mm x 1 x 1" bolt, screwed it into the new antenna bottom and into the mount. Added a short piece of rubber tubing, a grommet, and some shrink wrap to keep water oug and make it look factory again. Stations now come in clear that I expect to, with much less noise and more volume. Plus, to handle my MP3 files, an old LG phone with non-provisioned SIM is now paired as BRPC's demanded phone. I can play my MP3s through it, and nog have the bike complaining when I want to change inputs.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c