Spyder Garage

Default 2021 RT - remove side body panel

Anyone removed the large black side body panels on a 20/21? I have a workshop manual, but it is not very clear.

I need to have a look at (and maybe change) the rear shock to see if I can find the source of the loud squeak when I put weight on, and release weight off, the RT, which I mentioned in an earlier post. Yes, it is covered under warranty, but the dealer is nearly 5 hours away, plus Sydney is in lockdown so I can’t get in anyway. The dealer is more than happy to cover any screw ups I make under warranty. I’m tempted to use the opportunity to upgrade the rear shock to an M2 or Elka if I do decide to remove it.

I know how to remove the painted side panels, but not sure how big a job it is to remove the large black panel and whatever else to get at the top and bottom shock bolts……I have changed shocks previously on the F3-L, but top access wasn’t too difficult, and it did not have auto air and positioning sensor.

Any assistance greatly appreciated

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Do a search on google there are a couple of videos there or you can search here. Look in the how to section.

I have removed mine and it's no big deal but having only done it once on the drivers side only I don't want to tell you something wrong. Just use common sense and remove everything you see that's holding it on, remove the floorboard and be careful on the front parts and do not force anything.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Lamonster has a good video that shows exactly how to remove side panels. The video itself has to do with installing fog lights or a GPS. I don't recall which but they're easy to find on his website.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    Lamonster has a good video that shows exactly how to remove side panels. The video itself has to do with installing fog lights or a GPS. I don't recall which but they're easy to find on his website.
    Thanks Arion……yeah, I already know how to do those painted panels. It’s the big black panel underneath them that I have to remove, to let me get at the upper rear shock bolt.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Do a search on google there are a couple of videos there or you can search here. Look in the how to section.

I have removed mine and it's no big deal but having only done it once on the drivers side only I don't want to tell you something wrong. Just use common sense and remove everything you see that's holding it on, remove the floorboard and be careful on the front parts and do not force anything.
    Thanks K80…..I am now wondering if I should indeed order an aftermarket shock to install while I have the panels off. Since I plan to replace (or get the dealer to replace) the rear shock at some time anyway, now may be the correct time, to ensure minimal downtime . The only ones the Aussie shock dealers have are Elkas, and I have been hearing some bad stories from this site about poor shock quality with leaks after 12 months, which is a concern, so I’ll have to think that through. Trying to get M2 or others delivered out here is impractical due to the weight of the shocks re shipping costs.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Thanks K80…..I am now wondering if I should indeed order an aftermarket shock to install while I have the panels off. Since I plan to replace (or get the dealer to replace) the rear shock at some time anyway, now may be the correct time, to ensure minimal downtime . The only ones the Aussie shock dealers have are Elkas, and I have been hearing some bad stories from this site about poor shock quality with leaks after 12 months, which is a concern, so I’ll have to think that through. Trying to get M2 or others delivered out here is impractical due to the weight of the shocks re shipping costs.

Pete
    Have you checked out the Aussie made IKON shocks?? A bunch of Albury (or was it Wagga? ) locals who were with Koni started up on their own when Koni shut down, and they do some pretty good shocks! Might be worth a call https://www.ikonsuspension.com/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Have you checked out the Aussie made IKON shocks?? A bunch of Albury (or was it Wagga? ) locals who were with Koni started up on their own when Koni shut down, and they do some pretty good shocks! Might be worth a call https://www.ikonsuspension.com/
    I didn’t know they made Spyder shocks, Peter, and the 2014- RT is on their list. That will fit the ‘21. I’ll give them a call….. many thanks

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

It would be good to have a local company near, when you have to have them rebuilt! That's the thing with a rebuildable shock, you do not throw it away when it starts to act a little weak, you rebuild it! And having a local outfit close is great! You'll just take it off and take it over and drop it off! It don't take long I have sat and watched my shock guy do mine in about a half hour per shock.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    It would be good to have a local company near, when you have to have them rebuilt! That's the thing with a rebuildable shock, you do not throw it away when it starts to act a little weak, you rebuild it! And having a local outfit close is great! You'll just take it off and take it over and drop it off! It don't take long I have sat and watched my shock guy do mine in about a half hour per shock.
    It would be Mikey, if Harrington ( where Peteoz lives) was anywhere near Albury (where IKON is)!

You forget how big Australia is, and that we don't have tiny States like so many of yours over there!! Sure, Peteoz might actually live in the same State as IKON, but they're still over 700 km apart, sooo let's say, about 9 hours of fairly solid ryding!! His 'local' dealer, who's only 5 hours ryding away, is closer!

But they are a bloody good shock, and a lot closer than anything from overseas!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Thanks Arion……yeah, I already know how to do those painted panels. It’s the big black panel underneath them that I have to remove, to let me get at the upper rear shock bolt.

Pete
    Ah, I didn't appreciate the panel you were describing. Our Spyders are 2400 miles away at the moment so I couldn't go to the garage and stare at The wife's Sea to Sky.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I just took mine off again this morning to have access to the seat strut. There's really nothing to it. Remove the painted panels, remove the passenger and drivers floorboard/foot rest, remove the Rotax panel at the floorboard(there is one of those tiny plastic screw thingy's up front, make sure to take it out. Remove the clips and attaching screws from the panel along with the bottom front saddle bag clip/bolt. There is one hidden clip that you just pull on the panel to get loose and be careful down at the floorboard area as there is one piece that snaps around the tubing. Then just slide it out.

Takes maybe 20 minutes after you have the painted panels removed.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    Ah, I didn't appreciate the panel you were describing. Our Spyders are 2400 miles away at the moment so I couldn't go to the garage and stare at The wife's Sea to Sky.
    No problem, Arion, I appreciate your input . I probably should have included a photo with an arrow as it can be hard to describe exactly what one is after, in words.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I just took mine off again this morning to have access to the seat strut. There's really nothing to it.
    Thanks very much for the detail and tips, K80. I am waiting to hear if Ikon (an Aussie competitor to Wilbers, Elka etc), have any RT shocks in stock. If they do, I’ll get some delivered and kill 2 birds with one stone. The dealer is getting his head tech to give me a call to describe the process in detail, including pressure release of the air bag etc, in the next day or so.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.