Spyder Garage

Default F3 Valve stems too short for TPMS! Help!!

I have a 2018 F3 Ltd. When I went to put on my TPMS I found the front tire valve stem only stick out of the tire rims about a half inch, not enough room to my TPMS on. What are people doing to get their TPMS on? I know I could go get longer valve stems put on. Is there another option?

Thanks
    Rick
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

I don't have an answer for you other than replace the stems, but BRP must of found a China outlet for those stems for cheap cause even checking the air pressure is a challenge sometimes

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

When I went to front car tires, I had them (a real tire shop) install longer valve stems to facilitate easier tire checks and air ups. BTW, I just check the air with a digital gauge prior to a ride. That was worked for almost 70 years of riding.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

A friend just picked up a 2017 F3L and the front valve stems are way short also, We found these at NAPA but they dont have a cap that fits because of the stem valve design.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NTH9...ABEgLH2_D_BwE&

same as the above that WW has

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    When I went to front car tires, I had them (a real tire shop) install longer valve stems to facilitate easier tire checks and air ups. BTW, I just check the air with a digital gauge prior to a ride. That was worked for almost 70 years of riding.
    Checking tires prior to a ride is a smart idea, but doesn't help much when you pick up a nail in the middle of a long ride. I've been riding over 50 years now and there's been plenty of times I've felt my bike squirm a bit and then I wondered if it was a tire going down. My wife and I have both used TPMS for about 10 years now and have real-time psi at a glance. Very cheap peace of mind. Over the years we've recognized a couple of slow leaks within the first 2-3 psi lost. I don't like all sorts of tech involving our bikes, but I think TPMS is great for preventative safety.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

I guess I have been lucky. Riding since 1952, only twice have I picked up something that punctured a tire, but I caught it during a pre-ride preflight inspection. I have had friends get a flat on a ride and they were able to pull over safely without going down. Your last sentence is confusing to me....are you saying TPMS prevents flats? As for me, I concentrate on the ride - meaning I am paying attention to what the bike is doing and the road. No music, no phone. That has worked for 8 decades.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

I guess I have been lucky. Riding since 1952, only twice have I picked up something that punctured a tire, but I caught it during a pre-ride preflight inspection. I have had friends get a flat on a ride and they were able to pull over safely without going down. Your last sentence is confusing to me....are you saying TPMS prevents flats? As for me, I concentrate on the ride - meaning I am paying attention to what the bike is doing and the road. No music, no phone. That has worked for 8 decades.
    Of course, TPMS doesn't prevent flats. By "preventative safety" I meant that TPMS allows the rider to realize a tire is losing psi before it becomes a safety issue. I'd much rather notice the very first psi drop than wait till it's down 10 psi and feeling low. This whole discussion is probably more of an issue for 2-wheelers than 3-wheelers.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Those 2 times that you noticed the puncture in your pre-ride inspection you simply found a problem that happened DURING you last ride. (unless it happened while sitting still after your last ride) That's my point.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

You are correct that those punctures happened during a previous ride, thankfully there was no air loss. Thankfully, I do PreFlight inspections. If TPMS gives you peace of mind, all the better.

Spyder Garage

Your advice about concentrating on the ride is more crucial to survival than my preference for TPMS. TPMS is optional, but concentrating on the ride is essential! Congrats on 70 years and here’s hoping you’ve got a bunch more to come.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have digital gauges been around that long?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Have digital gauges been around that long?
    I had to invent my own. I regret I didn't patent it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

About a month ago, I was riding my new BMW R1250GS at about 1250 miles on it and a big red warning light popped up on the screen with a note that said "pull over immediately and check your tires. Low air pressure", scrolled the screen and it told me the rear tire air pressure and its deviation from optimum. Slowed down from 115 and pulled over. Was 3 miles from home. Saw a bid screw in the tire. Started the bike back up to watch the rate of real time air loss and figured that I could easily make it home before I got home. Ordered a new tire.......and happy now. The TPM on the Beemer is very accurate.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

It is really very rare to get a puncture on a "leading" tire because it's rare that a screw or nail will be poised to strike. What happens most is the front tire will hit a laying object and kick it up so it will puncture the rear tire. Old timer storied the rear tire happenstance. Since the Spyder has three "lead" tires, a puncture should also be rare (but we won't completely discount a kick up that can travel at an angle). I don't cotton to the added expense of the TPMS systems on cars much less bikes. Plus they are not reliable and require batteries and balancing. if you get a puncture on a bike you will know soon enough from the ride. In a car no problem mostly and a three wheeler either.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

So I am still in my quest to solve this problem, but have come up with another question. I now have a set of FOBO2 TPMS! Since it seems like the answer points to changing the valve stem, is there such a thing as T-valve stem that will work ? If so where can I obtain them? Will metal ones upset the overall wheel balance?

Thanks for your Replies!
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

I used metal T- valve stems. I hated that any time my TPMS said a tire was low I had to go thru the hassle of taking them off filling the tire resetting the TPMS and the app. So I put the T-Valve stems on. But sometimes they leaked causing the TPMS app to go off. I got tired of the hassle so I took them off took the T stems off and went back to manually checking my tires. Much better.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtotten View Post
    I have a 2018 F3 Ltd. When I went to put on my TPMS I found the front tire valve stem only stick out of the tire rims about a half inch, not enough room to my TPMS on. What are people doing to get their TPMS on? I know I could go get longer valve stems put on. Is there another option?

Thanks
    Rick
    I've had a similar issue. My TPMS (Sykik brand) no longer reaches far enough to push the valve head down. I had new tyes fitted all round and the guys replace the valve stems with each new tyre so I have to wait.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I have an RT and the valve stems are very short on it also and I thought they wouldn't work, but with determination I was able to screw on the FOBO sensors without a problem. Are you sure they won't work? The short stems with the FOBO sensors is certainly safer than having the sensors hanging out on a long stem.

Spyder Garage

Default Valve stems

Rick,
    just a tip here. If you're using the FOBO Bike 2 TPMS or any other for that matter they suggest in general to not use on rubber stems. Now you can get by with that if the stems a stiff and most likely won't flex.
    I use FOBO TPMS (original style) and I removed my wheels and added 1" metal stems and works just fine. It's worth it for a better stem and allow the TPMS to mount and not have issues. Better yet, the air chuck will mate up better in general and not interfere with the wheel.
    Below are pictures of my stem/sensor........

Quote Originally Posted by rtotten View Post

Thanks
    Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 F3T , Pearl White