Spyder Garage

Default BRP Connect - Sygic GPS starts but then says "App not available"

I have a 2021 RT Limited, iPhone connected to BRP Connect (bluetooth and USB) and Sygic GPS installed on the phone. When I go into BRP Connect on the Spyder, it shows the icon for Sygic (and it is not greyed out), I select that icon, Sygic starts on my phone, and then I get a message that says "Check phone" (there is no message on my phone), and then I get a screen that says "App not available". I am using the 7-day trial premium version of Sygic so I should have all of the capabilities loaded including CarPlay. Any ideas on why the "App not available" in BRP Connect? Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

With Sygic for the first 7 days yes you should get all the features ... I am just finishing my 7 day trial and used BRP connect on my 2021 sea to sky. I had to learn a couple things ... first you have to have both Bluetooth AND the usb connected in order to use the app. Second, my iphone did just what your did ... I read some other forums and there was recommendation to clean out the cavity where the plug goes in on the phone - so I looked in the cavity with a flashlight and decided I didn't need to - well long story short in frustration I ended up taking a safety pin and digging about in the phone cavity and to my surprise small amounts of lint came out. When I plugged my connector in after that it also seated tighter than before and since then no issues. I also had to learn that once you plug your phone in and start BRP Connect and the screen goes dark and BRP C takes over if you shut off the bike or even if you touch your screen and you have to re-engage BRP connect.

So in short - even if you don't think you need it, clean out the phone plug in cavity, connect both bluetooth and usb from the glove box, don't touch the screen after BRPC takes over and remember to restart BRPC if shutting off the bike

One other thing , if you use sygic maps online to make a route and send it to your phone so it will open in Sygic Navigation it will NOT work with hotmail/outlook. I found this out the hard way - I sent a route to my gmail and it opened right up in the sygic app on my phone - that is a very nice feature.

I like the GPS coming through my display - I have a Garmin also and struggle with sun glare and seeing the screen. Compared to a $400 GPS Sygic seems to be a good choice if you don't mind the learning curve!

Hope this helps!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sygic has had an update. If the icon in the dash is greyed out then when you open for the first time you should see a popup for approval. (it might be different on Androids)

Sometimes you need to shut everything off (even the phone) and then turn back on. It clears the phone.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Two things come to mind. For me, it seems to work when you start the app first and then plug your phone in and start the pairing process. Secondly, the connector cable seems to be sensitive. With me, I have several go quality USB to Apple cables that work and several that do not. It seems to be necessary to have either an actual Apple cable or a very high quality equivalent.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I tried cleaning the port on the iPhone, tried starting the app first, and tried 3 different cables (two were genuine Apple). Still the same "Check your phone" and "App Not Available" errors. So I tried installing and using Genius Maps and REVER; same result for those apps as well! But music (including playlists) work so it seemed the bluetooth and USB connections were OK.

I finally got Sygic and Genius working but not REVER. I eventually found and checked iPhone Settings/Privacy/Local Network, and found that for some reason the local network access for Sygic and Genius were turned on but that access for BRP Connect kept getting turned off somehow. If I go into settings and make sure BRP Connect is turned on in the Local Network setting then the two GPS apps load and work as advertised. There is no entry there for REVER so that one is still giving me the same errors (although that's not really a problem for me since I'm more interested in the GPS navigation apps than a tracking app).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dbh999 View Post

I finally got Sygic and Genius working but not REVER.
    Rever is broken on BRPc. Has been for awhile.
    My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kissfan View Post
    Rever is broken on BRPc. Has been for awhile.
    Thanks, that will save me from wasting time trying to get it to work.

Spyder Garage

DBH999 - please let us know your thoughts on using Sygic and Genius! I would be curious which one you find best.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, that will save me from wasting time trying to get it to work.
    No worries. I should have expanded... it's been probably 6+ months since Rever broke. It's on their end, not BPRc. And I (and countless others) have emailed Rever, but they don't seem to be in any hurry.

As an aside... as a previous software developer that's been in high-tech for 40+ years... I find it appalling the lack of quality control/testing in today's software. BRPc isn't ever tested properly. And they never test the apps they allow to run. AccuWeather has been broken on BRPc for over a year now.
    Oh, and food.

Spyder Garage

Just sent another email to Rever. Their response is promising...

"Our integration in BRP is slightly outdated and we are waiting on approval from BRP with our updates."

Here's hoping BRP gets off their butts and approves it.
    Oh, and food.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eschmid2 View Post
    DBH999 - please let us know your thoughts on using Sygic and Genius! I would be curious which one you find best.
    I have 5 more days of the Sygic premium trial (needed for turn-by-turn directions). Genius says I need to buy the North America Naviagation Pack in order to get turn-by-turn directions but I just entered a destination and a voice gave me directions for my first turn, so maybe there is a trial period for Genius that it doesn't mention anywhere. I'll load a relatively close destination Tuesday and ride there with Sygic and get directions for the return trip with Genius. Another thread that discusses the pros and cons of these two apps is at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...on-of-GPS-Apps .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eschmid2 View Post
    I know you didn't ask me, but for the sake of the discussion I'll give my .0000002 anyway. I've tried Genius, Rever (before it broke) and Sygic. I think by far and away, Sygic is the best. It's far from perfect and not nearly in the same category as Google or Apple Maps, but for a phone app it's actually pretty good. I've used it on a couple of trips and had a phone based app on at the same time to compare directions and maps, and I think it stood up to the test.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

DBH999 - thanks for your feedback - I have been using Sygic for about 7 days now and just paid for the annual premium service, I am really liking it and love the GPS in my display. Ive been going mostly in small weekend trips will have to try Sygic and a weekend tour soon. Doing the planning / scouting for that now!

Spyder Garage

I eventually found and checked iPhone Settings/Privacy/Local Network, and found that for some reason the local network access for Sygic and Genius were turned on but that access for BRP Connect kept getting turned off somehow. If I go into settings and make sure BRP Connect is turned on in the Local Network setting then the two GPS apps load and work as advertised. .
    Thanks dbh999 - my Sygic has been working great, got an update then had same issue is in your OP, looked at the setting and same issue. Fixed in 5 min. Love this forum !!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP will drive you crazy, a distraction, mine is just 'there', it does nothing. Love my Spyder, but just wonder why BRP made this 'thing' they call BRP Connect.