Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I like the idea of using a hidden unchipped key that would allow you to unlock the storage compartment that hides a chipped key.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

A follow up question on un-chipped keys, will they unlock the frunk the same as the OEM key, ie pushing down on the key while in the ignition and turning towards the frunk icon?

It seems they would since that is all mechanical as far as I know vs software/chip dependent like actual ignition procedure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    Maybe I知 making a simple problem more complicated. I have been looking for a place to hide a spare key for my RT. After several evaluations I finally realized that on the right side of the dash I have a blank cover that pops off. I simply wrapped the key in a plastic bag slipped it in and put the cover back on. One thing I didn稚 think of until this morning Is will the programming from the spare key interfere with the programming of the key in the ignition. I知 not very good at explaining this but I hope you understand what I知 trying to ask. Thanks so much, Peter
    The Spyder key does not have a battery in it. So the range is extremely limited. I tested my 2013 ST and found the range is about 1.5 inches max. I assume yours will be the same. The chip is different but the technology is the same.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

A cut standard key will unlock everything and will also turn the power on for everything but you cannot start the engine.

Spyder Garage

Here is a picture of my unchipped key. JMA ZA 9P1. Don't have to grind the corners off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    A follow up question on un-chipped keys, will they unlock the frunk the same as the OEM key, ie pushing down on the key while in the ignition and turning towards the frunk icon?
    Yes. You just need to make sure the head of the X270 is cut back to near the shape of the OEM key to allow it to go deep enough to turn to unlock.

Just for the fun of it, I held my chipped key next to the X270 and turned on the ignition with the X270. The code was read from the OEM key and the Spyder started right up. Then I put the chip key in my pocket and drove away! Well, I didn't actually drive away, just pretended I did!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Donbmw View Post
    A cut standard key will unlock everything and will also turn the power on for everything but you cannot start the engine.

Oh-Oh, I was hoping that an unchipped key would not turn on the dash. Therefore, I assume you could then release the electric parking brake and roll the Spyder away!!
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by knobby View Post
    Oh-Oh, I was hoping that an unchipped key would not turn on the dash. Therefore, I assume you could then release the electric parking brake and roll the Spyder away!!
    I never gave it any thought but you are correct. That's why even the unchipped key needs to be kept where an unscrupulous passerby won't likely find it.

But the parking brake being set isn't a real deterrent anyway. Think of all the discussions here about how to release the PB when the PB motor doesn't work!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)