Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spare key storage.

Maybe I知 making a simple problem more complicated. I have been looking for a place to hide a spare key for my RT. After several evaluations I finally realized that on the right side of the dash I have a blank cover that pops off. I simply wrapped the key in a plastic bag slipped it in and put the cover back on. One thing I didn稚 think of until this morning Is will the programming from the spare key interfere with the programming of the key in the ignition. I知 not very good at explaining this but I hope you understand what I知 trying to ask. Thanks so much, Peter

Spyder Garage

I was going to carry my spare key in a zipped pants pocket but your idea is good as I've had that cover off, a speaker cover on my RT. Wondering the same thing.

Spyder Garage

FWIW, my spare, unchipped key is in my wallet which in always on me. It's an Ilco X270 blank that has been cut and beveled to allow it to be pushed all the way into the ignition lock. Spare chipped key? No one's business but my own.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I used a 1/2 in thick piece of plywood - trimmed to fit - for the bottom of my Frunk ... for added strength .... I keep a spare Ilco X270 key under the board.... Since my DESS module is history ... this un-chipped key can be used for operating the Spyder ... My Frunk has a separate cable for release .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    FWIW, my spare, unchipped key is in my wallet which in always on me. It's an Ilco X270 blank that has been cut and beveled to allow it to be pushed all the way into the ignition lock. Spare chipped key? No one's business but my own.

yup in chipped-less spare in wallet: DIY key holder card;
    cut pice of coroplast to size of driver license; keys pushed down into either side
    DD9D3019-B5BA-4599-84F1-601017F83397.jpeg definitely handy if ever had keys in jacket pocket tossed in locked frunk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Same here.

Spyder Garage

My spare key is on a ring with a mini garage door remote. The little one is the key for the Lidlocks. After closing the garage door, that goes into m riding jacket zippered pocket.

DSCN3000.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have an Ilco key velcroed to the inside end of the mirror. With Magic Mirror mounts it's easy to remove. I use that key to open the seat so I can get to the toolkit. I can then open the rear trunk and use the screwdriver to remove the seat back, behind which is where the chip key is. Secure? Somewhat. But crooks don't like to spend time getting a vehicle started so I figure any shortcoming in security is more than offset by a crook's desire to be quick and not want to go through all the steps to get to the chip key. For me, if I ever lose my usual key all the steps to retrieve the spare sure beats walking to a dealer!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I use a Nite Ize keyholder, perfect size for the Spyder key.
    IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Wate...4&sr=8-17&th=1
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Maybe dumb question (had a physics teacher who said there are no dumb questions, only, sometimes, dumb answers). What does a chipped key do that an unchipped key not do? Will an unchipped key start the Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Newbie questions here, does this Ilco key have to be ordered online and then cut locally or is it something that any key maker will have?

Will the Ilco unlock the trunk (I have a 2021 RTS if that makes any difference)? I’m more worried about losing the key and being stranded than I am about theft so I’d like to have a trunk only key and have the OEM spare hidden inside the trunk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Maybe dumb question (had a physics teacher who said there are no dumb questions, only, sometimes, dumb answers). What does a chipped key do that an unchipped key not do? Will an unchipped key start the Spyder?
    All BuRP products come with a security system they call Digital Encoded Security System (DESS), on sleds, PWC's the DESS is built into the tether, on the Spyder it's in the key. Basically it's an RF chip that's built into the key or tether that communicates with the ECU to allow a machine to start, also in the case of a sled and PWC it acts as a kill switch in the event of a rider get-off.

An unchipped key will not start a stock machine.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

IF a Spyder has a functioning D.E.S.S. security system it's the Chip in the OEM key(s) that allows the Spyder to be started. An unchipped key will unlock everything on the Spyder that the OEM key(s) will lock and unlock, even the ignition, but unless the D.E.S.S. has been disabled the Spyder can't be started.

The Ilco X270 blank can be purchased at many hardware stores and the store can cut the key to match the OEM key. The picture is my beveled key.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Use a realtor lock box up under one of the panels. They are combination locked with long enough hasp to clip on a structural part. Wrap the rod with leather if it rattles.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Just passing on a suggestion from a PM to me...

You might want to think twice about posting the location of the key. Anyone can read this thread.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Just passing on a suggestion from a PM to me...

You might want to think twice about posting the location of the key. Anyone can read this thread.
    - and remember, not that I really think Spyders are all that attractive to the low-lives out there, but if you can think of somewhere to hide a key on your Spyder, then the crims can think of where to find it!! I've seen this occur waaaay more times than most would believe possible on other vehicles; even included a 'security component' in some of the Training I used to deliver, and I'd look for the keys people thought were safely hidden on their vehicles - never met one I couldn't find within about a minute, except one that'd fallen off.... So I reckon that anywhere that you might think is safe to stash a spare key actually on any vehicle is a risk!

My spare key is hanging around my neck, or if I'm travelling 2-up, then it's with the Child Bride.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    True, but everything in life is a risk. How great, in reality, is the risk that someone who knows which Spyder is mine, and does not own a Spyder, and wants to steal a Spyder, is going to be reading this thread? Pretty minuscule risk in my estimation.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I have to be missing something ..... do people not wear pants with pockets anymore ? Spare key is always in the pocket .
    2019 F3 S
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    True, but everything in life is a risk. How great, in reality, is the risk that someone who knows which Spyder is mine, and does not own a Spyder, and wants to steal a Spyder, is going to be reading this thread? Pretty minuscule risk in my estimation.
    Agree 100%

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PGDoug View Post
    I have to be missing something ..... do people not wear pants with pockets anymore ? Spare key is always in the pocket .
    Ha, 19 posts it took to guess where mine was/is. If they want my extra key they'll have to dig it out of my cold dead pocket.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PGDoug View Post
    It's one less thing to clutter a pocket or get left behind on the bathroom sink the only day you need it. Storing it on the Spyder means it'll always be available. I take it you've never left home without it!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Just passing on a suggestion my friend.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

WOW!! For a simple subject, it sure got heated fast. It's come down to the politics of "have the key on your person" vs "hide the key on your bike." I cant wait until this election is over.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spare Key

I keep a spare key for my Spyder on a lanyard that is worn around my neck.
    No problem with 'a pain in the neck' set up.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    WOW!! For a simple subject, it sure got heated fast. It's come down to the politics of "have the key on your person" vs "hide the key on your bike." I cant wait until this election is over.
    I can see nobody has included a prison pocket yet! Can that be thrown in the vote here?

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black