Spyder Garage

Default Picking up a 2015 Spider Tue - now Home!

Never owned a Spyder only sat on a few. But been riding bikes for 50+ yrs. I have lower back problem, L4, L5. So thought I would buy a Spyder SE6. Have to drive 500 miles to get it but nice country drive from Oregon to Idaho. Only pictures of the Spyder but well cared for...sorta.
    Little story: It has 1,688 miles on it. Bought new by older gentleman, didnt care for the ride much.
    Bought by another older gentleman with back problems like me. But passed away few months later. Now another older gentleman with back problems (me) is going to give it a try. Hope there isnt a pattern here. Is there anything I should be aware of before paying my $15,500?
    The End
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-06-2021 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Fixed - 2015 not 2016 ;-)

Spyder Garage

and

A few pictures would be nice once you bring it home.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully your the older gentleman that get to "ENJOY MANY MILES & SMILES"

The 2016 did NOT have the DESS problems of the 14 & 15...
    From 2014 to 2018 some had air compressor problems...But don't worry $$$$ will fix that...
    You may want to put auto tires on and a sway bar...Ride it first and frackel from there...

ENJOY

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Hopefully your the older gentleman that get to "ENJOY MANY MILES & SMILES"

The 2016 did NOT have the DESS problems of the 14 & 15...
    From 2014 to 2018 some had air compressor problems...But don't worry $$$$ will fix that...
    You may want to put auto tires on and a sway bar...Ride it first and farkle from there...

ENJOY
    +1

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Well, sorry all, its a 2015. Maybe I should proofread what I write. But I should enjoy it anyway. DESS is that something I need or dont want? It may need tires. just by age alone. Car tires more better?
    thanks for Da help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by twocams View Post
    Well, sorry all, its a 2015. Maybe I should proofread what I write. But I should enjoy it anyway. DESS is that something I need or dont want? It may need tires. just by age alone. Car tires more better?
    thanks for Da help.
    I had a 2015 RTL before trading in on a 2020 RTL. You'll love it. Keep in mind your initial oil change isn't due until 3000 miles, so it's a virtually new machine!! Check the tires for any dry rot from sitting. Other than that, just enjoy it.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

..... DESS is that something I need or dont want? It may need tires. just by age alone. Car tires more better?
    DESS is the Security System that makes the Spyder useless without the key! Great when it works; a right PITA when it doesn't, and cos some brainiac decided that the pre-2014 DESS worked as well as it did, they'd 'improve' it for the 2014 & on models, it really was a PITA for many owners of 2014 & 2015 Spyders - so much so, that quite a few had their DESS disabled! Check out this thread:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...highlight=DESS

As for the Car Tires question, there's a LOT of discussion here about them, whole Shed Loads in fact - but the reality is that the rims our Spyder/Rykers run are actually CAR RIMS, so the ONLY alternatives to the OE Spec Kendas (which are widely considered one of the most 'problematic' things about our Spyders/Rykers and recognised by many of us as the poorest excuse of a black round thing used to keep the metal bits off the road; and that's without even considering their shortfalls as an 'actual tire' ) ends up being just about any reputable brand auto tire run at a (lower) pressure suitable for the (lighter) load in a size that'll fit safely on the rims & that has load & speed ratings equal to (not bloody hard! ) or in excess of those on the Crapendas

However, I'll freely admit my bias - as you may gather, I'm not a fan of the OE Spec Kendas AT ALL!! In fact, I've just had a new owner call up asking what to do with their brand new Spyder that's been delivered wearing a set that are sooooo poorly constructed they aren't able to be balanced without MASSIVE amounts of weights; but upon further investigation, the balancing thing may be a bit irrelevant anyway, cos it appears that two of the three tires aren't even round and the tread doesn't run straight around the circumference besides! But for my two bob's worth, if it's still got the OE Spec Kendas on it, and especially if they are the 2015's originals, then I'd be seriously wary of ryding it very carefully any further than the nearest place/tire fitter to get a set of new CAR tires fitted!

All that said, my 'slightly enhanced' 2013 RT Ltd with the V-Twin motor is a bloody fantastic ryde that I seriously doubt I'll be able to give up until I can't crawl aboard & operate the controls any more!! Yeah, the 2015's 1330 engine might be a bit lazier & less peppy, but the 1330's have scads of torque right off idle, and despite the largely Customer Service & Dealer shortfalls some encounter, they are a great machine that for most, will really deliver on the Miles of Smiles promise!

Ride More, Worry Less!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Never owned a spider only sat on a few. But been ridding bikes for 50+ yrs. I have lower back problem,L4,L5. So thought I would buy a Spider se6. Have to drive 500 miles to get it but nice country drive from Oregon to Idaho. Only pictures of the Spider but well cared for...sorta.
    Little story: It has 1,688 miles on it. Bought new by older gentleman, didnt care for the ride much.
    Bought by another older gentleman with back problems like me. But passed away few months later. Now another older gentleman with back problems (me) is going to give it a try. Hope there isnt a pattern here. Is there anything I should be aware of before paying my $15,500?
    The End
    with everything Peter ( Post # 7 above ) said. If you are mechanically inclined the DESS module can be changed by you for About $ 134.00 ( part price ) .... And $15,500 is a bit high unless that Spyder is a 2015 LTD model..... Some dealers will put on NON-Kenda tires, some won't .... If you can bring the Front tires to any Auto tire shop with tires of your choice they can mount them and probably balance them also the rear is a bit harder to do .... but there are U-tube video's on how-to .... if you tire brand & size info PM me ..... good luck & ....Mike

Spyder Garage

thanks for Da help.
    Welcome from another newly introduced to the Spyder world, only 2 months. I have the 2014 RT LE. Change the oil, 6 years is too long for any oil to be sitting in an engine and there are so many parts that like to use clean oil. Brake fluid flush as well. Dot 4 brake fluid will absorb water and the brake system on a Spyder likes nice clean brake fluid. Mine didn't have the belt tensioner. Had that intermittent vibration between 90 to 120/130 KPH, installed belt tensioner, gone. Magic Mirrors have been installed, next thing to the holy grail - well worth the investment if you do any work yourself. These items are predicated on having the RT LE. Coolant can wait, but have done at the 3000 mile mark. Ride and enjoy. Cheers
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

FYI
    I just installed the new Kenda Kanine KR20 Front Tires on my 2015 RT and so far they are great. Had a tire dealer install them, one tire has no weights and the other has 1/4 oz weight. I can run 90 mph on the interstate and no vibration, no bounce. $133.00 for the pair.

Spyder Garage

Add replace the air filter to your list. I bought a 2015 last summer with low miles and there was a mouse nest in the airbox. Low miles are nice but then you have to wonder how the machine was stored all that time. If someone throws a cover over it and forgets about it for a couple years the mice are going to have a field day.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MAn wait till you get it home and give a good once over. You may never have a DESS issue wait on that. Tires are still like new. Make sure pressures are set. Run fresh gas thru it. Ride it and have some fun.

Spyder Garage

I have a 15 RT. VERY happy with it. I came from years and miles on Beemers, and with my wife's 08 RS. If you haven't already, read the do's and don'ts. It drives much different than a 2-wheeler, and I will not go back.

Above comments are good. The RT is a fantastic machine. Enjoy!
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

I did the same kr20 front and rear they work fine
    richie spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    MAn wait till you get it home and give a good once over. You may never have a DESS issue wait on that. Tires are still like new. Make sure pressures are set. Run fresh gas thru it. Ride it and have some fun.

The one thing to be aware of given your concern about riding comfort is there are many options for making the riding position and seat itself more comfortable. But ride it for awhile first then come back here with specific questions.

There are many of us old geezers out on this forum, so welcome to the relatively safe world of Spyder riding.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner

From someone who has lower back issues too. I think you will enjoy the 2015 Spyder.

That being said have you already purchased the Spyder?

(Sounds like you have purchased this Spyder.)

So If you are able do this, I would change the engine oil and filter. Check/change the air filter (if needed). Replace the Brake Fluid. Definitely check out the Tires. Inspect the Drive Belt.

If these repairs are not your field of knowledge then have a Spyder Dealer do them.

Get a thorough inspection by a Spyder Certified Mechanic. This means finding a suitable Spyder Dealer.
    This is for peace of mind and hopefully no problems with your Spyder.

Then Ryde your Spyder and enjoy your Time.
    Stay Healthy and Stay Safe. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Do you know how far it is from Boise Id. to Grants Pass. Or.

We got up Wed morning (June 2).In Boise Id. My ridding buddy & I had met the couple selling the 2015 Spider RT. The nite before, the father had passed & they were selling for their mom. There was over $600 of extra parts that were not even put on the bike. Also oil/ filter. So I gave her full asking price. We went to U-Haul to find a trailer to put the Spider on to tow back home. Well guess what, her front was so big she wont fit anything in their yard. Then after an hour we find out that nothing in their yard can be taken out of state....what?
    So we decided to go into Oregon to find another U-Haul. After ridding my new toy 218 miles I had never rode before, I wasn't impressed. It felt like the 2 front tires were fighting each other. It was a very hot day on the tarmac must have been 100 deg. Sorry, didn't know it had a temp gauge till next day. We got to La Grand Oregon & decided to " I just wanna ride", home. Got a hotel room. Friend took my truck and drove home.
    On the 3rd I rode threw the Columba River Gorge. It was kool with white caps on the river. The wind blew all day long but it was cooler than Wed. Stayed a nite in Salem Oregon hoping to be home Friday. My hands were getting cold, there was overcast and fog over the Cascade Mt range.
    I needed to stop for a while anyway. Got back on the Spider & noticed the heat switch. Knew it was there just didnt think about it, warm all the way home 739 miles total. Now with 2429 miles on speedo. DSC00012 (1).jpgDSC00014.jpg
    Thanks for all the advice. I was a Heavy Equipment Mechanic then NCOIC for 20 yrs in the USAF. So I will be doing 99% of my own work. It has a new sway bar on, Ill get some new tires. It runs well on the freeway but in curves on the road it gets scary. Maybe just me? Just doesnt track well?
    We are home & "surgery" will begin soon.

Spyder Garage

Read the operator's guide VERY THOROUGHLY! From your description of your ride home you're experiencing first miles on a Spyder but one of the things you should have verified is if the machine has had a laser alignment using the Rolo system. You can find dealerships that have the system at this link but it may not be fully up to date:http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealersor.htm. Good luck, ride safe!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jay for the heads up. I was at Water World Boats couple days before picking up my Spider. They had a Can Am rep. there for test rides. But they only had demo rides at 1330 & 1530 hrs. I was there at 10am couldt wait around for hrs.
    I changed the oil today on the Spider. When it came to the oil filter It all looked familiar. My 1997 328I BMW/ girlfriend Z3 have the same oil filter type canister & cap with 3 Orings & torqued cap at the same 25 N. So if it works so well for BMW It must be good for Can AM Im thinkin.