Spyder Garage

Default Can I Add a USB to 2014 RTL without using T taps?

Has anyone successfully added a USB port to the dash switches or elsewhere without using T taps - via accessory. How was it wired?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-05-2021 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How do I?' Question not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Spyder Garage

One option is to eliminate the analog fuel and temperature gauges and rely on the digital display. Some folks replace the temp gauge with a volt meter and you could put a USB receptacle in the left side. The diameter is 52 mm. Sorry, don't know squat about the wiring but I'm sure some folks can advise and I believe you won't have to use T taps but can plug directly into existing wiring that powered the analog gauges.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Was hoping to keep those gauges. Perhaps someone has another option. Thanks for the ideas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Al View Post
    Has anyone successfully added a USB port to the dash switches or elsewhere without using T taps - via accessory. How was it wired?
    What do you mean about not using T taps?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The easiest place to run wires to the dashboard area is the speaker grilles.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All four of the switches on the dash, even if there is no switch installed, have a connector underneath that have both switched 12v and ground connections. I think you can just plug a spade connector into them.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Didn't know that - I'll explore that option. Thanks