Spyder Garage

Default re calibrate on board comp after installing Angle sensor. without dealer

Got the sensor in after taking off the front sprocket. Doesnt flash "check trans" and the orange engine as much now, but still does. Have run about 300 miles cross country since installation.

Local dealer, of course is backed up for months, can't get an appointment for the BUDS computer to re du everything.

is there a owner way to reset it? turned 3 three times, removed it between turns. Did notice that stopping and popping her into neutral get rid of idiot lites for a few minutes. Also downshifting from 5th to 4th and upping back to 5th does it for a while.
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post
    Got the sensor in after taking off the front sprocket. Doesnt flash "check trans" and the orange engine as much now, but still does. Have run about 300 miles cross country since installation.

Local dealer, of course is backed up for months, can't get an appointment for the BUDS computer to re du everything.

is there a owner way to reset it? turned 3 three times, removed it between turns. Did notice that stopping and popping her into neutral get rid of idiot lites for a few minutes. Also downshifting from 5th to 4th and upping back to 5th does it for a while.
    BRP usually says .... after part re-placement have " BUDS " re-set .... sometimes yes but not nearly as often as BRP claims .... I had to change my GPS sensor on an 08 GS .... I didn't do BUDS and it all worked fine ..... Yes the angle sensor may be different but maybe not .... Other than the warning lights is the spyder tracking OK .... I would dis-connect battery cables, touch them together, re-connect using STAR washers.... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

touching pos and neg leads together without the battery? if off battery, there is no current...why would computer reset without 12v flowing? if battery was still connected likely main fuse would blow? I dont know enough about this computer to be dangerous.

been settling down a little. rides ruff in reverse and 1st. when trans lit pops on, i down shift 1 gear on my Semi Automatic and immediately up shift = gone. Popping it in to neutral at red light = gone. Rides fine otherwise: 200-300 mile weekend runs, no issue except for the idiot light.

auto mechanic pal things it might be a shot gear synchronizer? Shop is appt backed up for 2 months, thinking of getting it looked at in late Fall?
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post
    touching pos and neg leads together without the battery? if off battery, there is no current...why would computer reset without 12v flowing? if battery was still connected likely main fuse would blow? I dont know enough about this computer to be dangerous......
    Touching the disconnected battery terminals like Mike has suggested simply clears all the 'retained but not stored for posterity' memories in the various computer systems etc - so it won't lose your date/time/country settings; harm/empty your pre-set radio stations; mess up your standard ECU/TCU settings; dump any ROM records; or lose any 'stored failure codes' - but it will empty any volatile RAM records; dump any 'active fault' codes that haven't yet prompted a failure code/been stored in history; might lose any OBD/OBDII loaded 'flash upgrades' that haven't been permanently recorded; and it'll basically clear out all the extraneous stuff that might get kept around the place in various RAM or temporary storage chips etc just to make things quicker. A good example of that is the timed record for the 'shut down' process & the 'do I hafta press Mode again yet'?

The only downsides to doing this really are that 1. Fewer 'volatile records' like this exist in modern control systems than in earlier systems, so there's not so much likelihood of getting any real benefit; and 2. Those remaining records that can still be cleared this way are those 'usually not really important' things that nevertheless help make things like starting up again shortly after shutting it all down et all quicker than if you force your control systems to go right back to the basics & start again!

So by doing that as suggested, it might help clear things that are just being bothersome or possibly causing intermittent problems just cos they haven't been cleared yet &/or over-written with better/more valid data, rather than hanging onto an old invalid record that simply hasn't been over-written with something better that won't keep on causing any intermittent problems..... While it's no guarantee that it'll sort your intermittent issues, it is one more step along the way of making sure that it's not just an easy fix you've over-looked!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-22-2021 at 06:02 AM. Reason: recods?? :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Deleted

Spyder Garage

Anyone with the MPI 2 or 3 cable and a the correct valid BUDS licence can calibrate the sensor. Does not have to be the dealer. You could buy it yourself. But that is expensive just to calibrate one sensor. Your best option I think would be to find out if someone near you has BUDS and is willing to do it for you.

So how about it. Someone near the OP willing to help him out.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

dunno anyone in Ohio/SE Michigan. Hopefully someone will sound off?

Spyder Garage

thanks for the clarification!