Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire HUB removal ..... do I take it off as well?

When I bought my 2014 RT, I knew it would eventually be needing a rear tire replacement. After this riding season I figured it would be a great time to replace the tire. And, many thanks to those who have suggested tire types for replacement. So I'm asking this question in advance.

I have watched a few "how-to remove rear tire" videos, but the one question I have is "do I need to remove the HUB, or leave it on, to have the new tire installed"? I have seen one video where it was removed, and another that wasn't.

I asked our local Honda Dealer ( parts dept. ) about this and they had no clue what I was referring to. I then called a not-so-distant Can Am Dealer and Parts Dept guy stated to bring the entire wheel in and, if need be, they would take off the hub. So still not sure.

So, looking for some clarification here. TIA!

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

do I need to remove the HUB, or leave it on, to have the new tire installed
    I then called a not-so-distant Can Am Dealer and Parts Dept guy stated to bring the entire wheel in and, if need be, they would take off the hub.
    I am pretty sure you got the answer in the quoted text.
    Last edited by Eckhard; 06-04-2021 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Update
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Before BRP made the HUB non-removeable, most folks did ..... but it wasn't necessary ..... so NO you can leave it on .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    I am pretty sure you got the answer in the quoted text.
    You are correct, I'm sure I did get the answer I sought. But, knowing myself, I'm not one to stop at that answer, especially when there are good people on this forum to ask who have most likely been down this road already.

After watching a few videos and educating myself of how the uninstall / install procedure went, I can easily do this task. I just felt the need to question it further, seeing that the hourly rate is a bit on the high side here in my neck of the woods, and if I can save time and MONEY, I surely will.
    I'm sure if the Dealer had their way, they would rather I bring the Spyder in and have them do the whole tire change procedure. $$$

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Before BRP made the HUB non-removeable, most folks did ..... but it wasn't necessary ..... so NO you can leave it on .... Mike

Mike, Thank you!

I wasn't sure as there are videos showing different methods. And, as this would be my 1st rear tire change, I didn't want to seem uniformed of this procedure taking the tire to be replaced.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
    You are correct, I'm sure I did get the answer I sought. But, knowing myself, I'm not one to stop at that answer, especially when there are good people on this forum to ask who have most likely been down this road already.

After watching a few videos and educating myself of how the uninstall / install procedure went, I can easily do this task. I just felt the need to question it further, seeing that the hourly rate is a bit on the high side here in my neck of the woods, and if I can save time and MONEY, I surely will.
    I'm sure if the Dealer had their way, they would rather I bring the Spyder in and have them do the whole tire change procedure. $$$
    Truth be known ... I would be very surprised if any dealer wanted to invest the kind of money a Hydraulic tire changing machine will cost !!!! .... I'll bet most dealers just take the tire to the nearest " tire changing shop " ..... jmho ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2021 at 11:48 PM. Reason: coat = cost