Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Just to clear the air (hopefully) I’m not opposed to ATGATT or if that’s your thing, but what I am opposed to is the seemingly bombardment of some members INSISTING that I “dress for the slide” and that I’m being stupid if I don’t. I don’t know how you feel about it, but this constant “bombardment” in my mind is a form of censorship (correct me if I’m wrong, but censorship is against forum rules). I dress the way I want to, and it is NOT anyone else’s business as long as I’ve broken NO laws. It doesn’t matter whether you APPROVE or not! Just my 2 cents on the subject. Wear what you want and enjoy the ride!

This used to be a pretty laid back site. Now I’m not so sure!

I wouldn't blame Spyder Lovers. Some of these topics are started for the friction they will cause. Proper gear, oil and tires seem to bring out the emotions in people. Some of the answers get my emotions going also, but I just scroll on by. After all they are entitled to their opinion too. (even if it's not right) LOL
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JamSpyder View Post
    I am a newbie, never ridden a bike but middle age crisis setting in, I got a 2020 Spyder RTL, reason being, to take the wife along and enjoy. Starting out I equipped the Spyder and ourselves with every safety gear possible, from flashing head, strobe tail lights, to BRP led floorboard lights, and for us the usual gear plus a Hiviz Helite Turtle Airbags. I am so new, I almost crashed into a car taking a corner... there was two things that made us escape the accident, GOD and Spyder safety systems. The speed and angle of entering the corner was so fast, and became steep to prevent hitting the car, that I could hear my wife's scream, see the front of the car coming, and knowing within my mind that I messed up. As far as the Spyder, I concluded, it will not turn over, it just stopped in the corner, I mean stopped, ... and as you can imagine, I had to try and calm my wife down. Wearing the right gear is a must for me. This will never happen again...

~~~~excellent first post JamSpyder. Although I will be turning 65 in a few months and have ridden year in & year out ever since 1974, I remember the first time I narrowly beat the odds like you described here except my close call involved entering an expressway on ramp at too fast of a speed. I had to turn away from the lower guard rail post that lined this entrance ramp on my right. I remember thinking if I turned the handlebars too far away from the guardrail, I would low side into it. It turned out to be a balancing act, one of which trying to keep from side swiping the guardrail and the other extreme was turning away too much. I ended up hitting the guardrail with the outer end of the right foot peg. I never fell but my right foot that happened to be inside of a leather boot was pinned between the motorcycle (72’360cc Yamaha 2 stroke enduro) and the guardrail. The Lord his self certainly played a role that day

Wifey and I had a get off (low side) in Michigan a few months before we both moved to the lower Fla. Keys in 1985. We were riding our new 1985 250cc Elite Honda motor scooter This one too involved a freeway, but this time, an exit ramp. We were coming up to a left turn. There were two left turning lanes we were in the right lane. In the left lane stopped was a commercial van. He didn’t see us coming up to the light and as the light turned green to go, he ended up going into our lane mid turn and forced us off the road where we low sided. Luckily, we both walked away from that one but, unbeknownst to my wife, she would have knee pain later in life. The chickens have come home to roost so to speak, and why the other driver’s insurance representative was so quick to offer us at the time what we thought was a generous check. Considering the pain and problems Helen has had with her knee, that generous check turned out to be a pittance

We’ve both worn one piece Aerostich suits riding in the lower Fla.Keys sweating our Pa-toots off. I’ve owned three one piece stitch suits over the years. My next one piece stitch suit will be the lightweight one they are building now

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    I wouldn't blame Spyder Lovers. Some of these topics are started for the friction they will cause. Proper gear, oil and tires seem to bring out the emotions in people. Some of the answers get my emotions going also, but I just scroll on by. After all they are entitled to their opinion too. (even if it's not right) LOL
    You are right on the money. I like your "but I just scroll on by" comment.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just to clear the air (hopefully) I’m not opposed to ATGATT or if that’s your thing, but what I am opposed to is the seemingly bombardment of some members INSISTING that I “dress for the slide” and that I’m being stupid if I don’t. I don’t know how you feel about it, but this constant “bombardment” in my mind is a form of censorship (correct me if I’m wrong, but censorship is against forum rules). I dress the way I want to, and it is NOT anyone else’s business as long as I’ve broken NO laws. It doesn’t matter whether you APPROVE or not! Just my 2 cents on the subject. Wear what you want and enjoy the ride!

You should probably check the Forum Rules again BBB - 'censorship' per se doesn't get a mention. In fact, there are a few things specifically excluded, which I guess most would call some degree of 'active censorship', wouldn't they?! But the ATGATT question isn't one of them, so it is generally open for discussion (within the Forum Rules) & I don't believe it's being censored in our Forum Rules or otherwise.

But the Rules ARE pretty clearly based around TWO things - 1. It's Lamonts place, and we've all been invited in to enjoy the features & facilities just so long as we abide by his rules for the place & our behaviour - after all, it is his 'internet home' that we are using, so even if he's not here atm, it's still only polite to behave in the manner he expects; & 2. We are basically being called upon to play nice & keep it polite - and since we are all adults here, surely we should be able to disagree on things without ending up in a slinging match or punching it out in the carpark!

But speaking of your perception of those INSISTING, maybe it's cos as Moderators, we get to see all of the contentious stuff, some of which we do act upon before too many others get to see it; but I personally feel there's far more ANTI-ATGATT 'INSISTING' going on than the opposite! I'm certainly not aiming this at you BBB; but it seems to me that even when there's a civil discussion going on about what to wear/why some do or don't, there's a 'select few' members here who pretty much always jump in & quite stridently INSIST that their views that there's no need for ATGATT on a Spyder; the risk of a slide isn't there; if you get hit then ATGATT won't help anyway; etc, etc, etc are the only views worth considering And while I don't want to put the other Moderators on the spot, I really don't think I'm alone amongst the Mods in feeling that, particularly about this subject!

Me, I'm generally an ATGATT kinda guy (altho there are a few exceptions/occasions/circumstances... ) and I'm generally happy enough for others to do their own thing/make their own choices; but I do tend to object when people start pushing the 'but we're ryding Spyders, none of that motorcycle stuff applies' crock! And THAT, I'll likely argue against every time!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peter Aawen,

Is it your contention, then, that the safety factor of a Spyder over any 2-wheeler is sufficiently negligible that it should not even be considered when discussing what level of protective gear to wear?

If so, then we disagree, that's all. If not, then I'm mystified by your statements.

Either way, I don't understand why you're so het up about it.

What I can say with certainty, though, is that somehow my choice of words in this discussion has upset you and for that I am truly sorry.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Agree completely, Brucie. Some out there certainly believe that their way is the only way because their intelligence is so vastly superior to everyone elses. Unfortunately, that attitude usually shows the opposite

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Bike gear always. Ride for the slide not the ride or something like that
    I also add that, until we can chose when I'll have the accident, I'll be the fool and wear ATGATT. Having been an ex emergency service worker (Fireifghter w/ Rescue) you see things happen to people that could so easily have been avoided, and these are 3 that stick in my mind.

• An MC rider like myself, baked onto the black baking road surface on a VV hot day, screaming their head off while bystanders tried to alleviate his pain by removing him. But like mince in a "non" nonstick frypan, he was stuck there for god knows how long due to LOC, then being found, then an Ambulance called. The ambulance was responded from the nearest town 80km away (25-30 mins). He dressed in suitable attire in his mind - shorts and Tshirt - had he at least had jeans and jacket he may have minimised his "outcome" and hospital stay.
    • One of my acquaintances wore thongs (I think US ppl call them scuffs?) a low speed slip on his XL250 at an intersection gave him cause to put his foot down. The flimsy rubber strap between his big and 2nd toes, carved his foot Two Thirds the way along, he was a successful footballer - until that point in time.
    • A mum in a car with 4 others - they had their seat belts on - but she chose to nurse bub. I cant recall if it was a stolen vehicle or just some Ar$%wipe, ploughed into them at a closing speed of 160 km/hr (they were doing 40, A'wipe 120km). Bub hit the dashboard, then the floor then wedged up under the dashboard just micro seconds before the whole front end collapsed in and sealed the deal. We cut mum and dad out, but bub.... Had she been in suitable protection she'd be listening to mum and dad talk about the incident today

Mine - sitting at roadworks on the slope of a hill - dry weather - in a line of traffic. Suddenly a tanker used to carry liquids is jackkniffed and skidding down the hill trying to avoid us all in the line. Who knows what he was doing prior, but we were lucky because some years before the exact same incident played out about 10km away, only the truck didn't miss the line-up and concertinaed all 4 cars between him and the two trucks at the head of the line

None of these ppl planned to have an accident, some will also rightly reason that no one would have survived some of these, but the point is no one gets to decide IF or WHEN it will happen. The only decision you get is how do I prepare for the possibility personally. Besides we all see ppl and shake our head in amazement
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Peter Aawen,

Is it your contention, then, that the safety factor of a Spyder over any 2-wheeler is sufficiently negligible that it should not even be considered when discussing what level of protective gear to wear?

If so, then we disagree, that's all. If not, then I'm mystified by your statements.

Either way, I don't understand why you're so het up about it.

What I can say with certainty, though, is that somehow my choice of words in this discussion has upset you and for that I am truly sorry.
    I'm not het up about it Pete, and I'm not going to argue with you or even try to explain any more about the reasoning behind my choices, I've already explained myself & my reasoning ad nauseum, so if you still don't understand that, there's nothing I can do! And as I've said more than once, we're all adults here, so I'm happy enough for others to make their own decisions about this!

But as a Moderator here, see my previous post in this thread; amongst a few others, that was a veiled warning aimed squarely at YOU! So you should realise that all the Moderators here are waaayyy more het up about YOU not accepting that others have a differing view and then letting them! There's not a thread on this subject that goes by where you don't aggressively jump in and start insisting & arguing about why others shouldn't be bothering with ATGATT when ryding Spyders, even when people try to explain their rationale behind their choices! You've done it again in the post I quoted here. Just let it be... PLEASE!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2021 at 07:24 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I also add that, until we can chose when I'll have the accident, I'll be the fool and wear ATGATT. Having been an ex emergency service worker (Fireifghter w/ Rescue) you see things happen to people that could so easily have been avoided, and these are 3 that stick in my mind. .....
    Similar to askitee I worked EMS for many years in the Colorado mountains along I-70 and the resort areas. I understand the personal decisions and I don't tell others how to make theirs nor can I understand other's perception or toleration of risk. But when you see the victim, family and friends adversely affected by one's decisions not to use available safety gear and mitigate the injury, be it use of helmets, seatbelts, ATGATT, etc. and you see this in the field and emergency rooms it presents a factual basis on which to make certain safety decisions. Not saying you should change your beliefs, just offering another perspective. Nothing bad happens until it does.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2021 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    July 9, 2021
    I must admit that I wear the same clothes as I would driving in my car in the summer. Short sleeve shirt, shorts and sneakers. Of course I hope that I have no accidents. I did notice that many of the cycle riders I see are wearing long shirts and jeans, which does make sense if there is an accident. Most of them are two wheelers. I haven't even seen any Spyders lately on the roads in South Jersey. I wonder why ? There is a Canam dealer only 20 minutes from me in Bensalem, Pa. ( East Coast Cycle Center )

Almost 8 years now and I do the same, shorts and sneakers. I can’t stand being hot when riding, so I dress comfortably. Aware of my surroundings all the time so “hope” for no issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Almost 8 years now and I do the same, shorts and sneakers. I can’t stand being hot when riding, so I dress comfortably. Aware of my surroundings all the time so “hope” for no issues.

I do wear gloves and a helmet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'm not het up about it Pete, and I'm not going to argue with you or even try to explain any more about the reasoning behind my choices, I've already explained myself & my reasoning ad nauseum, so if you still don't understand that, there's nothing I can do! And as I've said more than once, we're all adults here, so I'm happy enough for others to make their own decisions about this!

But as a Moderator here, see my previous post in this thread; amongst a few others, that was a veiled warning aimed squarely at YOU! So you should realise that all the Moderators here are waaayyy more het up about YOU not accepting that others have a differing view and then letting them! There's not a thread on this subject that goes by where you don't aggressively jump in and start insisting & arguing about why others shouldn't be bothering with ATGATT when ryding Spyders, even when people try to explain their rationale behind their choices! You've done it again in the post I quoted here. Just let it be... PLEASE!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Like a fool, I was about to post my opinion until I read the moderator view which got me to thinking... These arguments, er I mean discussions, have been around almost as long as I've been riding motorcycles and that's 50+ years. Of course things get more heated now that people can air their gripes, er I mean opinions in basically an anonymous way. I It is and has been the same bs just a different forum, different day, different way to gripe. No thanks, I'll keep my opinion to myself...it's nothing new under the sun. Can't wait for tomorrow cuz there's no rain in the forecast for a freakin' change...yay!! Never mind, carry on if you must.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I first started riding there wee no laws saying helmets must be worn. As a matter of fact, in my area, lower mainland of BC, there were no helmets...the major bikes were BSA, MATCHLESS, ROYAL ENFIELD and others. No Japanese bikes whatsoever... But I digress..... I have never been big on AT GATT and that probably because I am from a different era. If you want AT GATT, by all means get it and wear it. I’ve read a lot of posts on this forum talking about “Mesh Jackets”. I’ve never heard of a mesh jacket, soooo I went to a bike shop in the area here to find out about them. They had only one brand and only one style. It was a Joe Rocket motorcycle jacket and was pricey. I tried it on and wound up purchasing it. For me, a temperature in the low to mid ‘80° is HOT and wearing a jacket is just too much. I went out in that temperature today, wearing my new Joe Rocket mesh jacket and OMG what a pleasant surprise. The mesh not only allowed free flowing air, but it actually felt as if it were cooling the incoming air and AT GATT proponents, it has built in armour. Am I recommending AT GATT, NO. I am suggesting those that haven’t tried a mesh jacket to check them out.....you may be pleasantly surprised like I was. And please, please, please.....Don’t start another war of words. This is only MY thought on MESH JACKETS.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Just bought my first mesh jacket and I agree with bigbadbrucie. A very pleasant surprise. It's been very hot here in the West(SoCal). Went on a two day ride down in San Diego County where the temp ranged from 90 to 102. The mesh jacket was a life saver. Stayed comfortable and still maintained my personal decision for ATGATT.

Life is not good or bad, it's just Life. Deal with it!

2018 F-3T, 2016 2500 Ram 4x4, 2020 VW Cross Sport, 2012 Travel trailer

Spyder Garage

Well everyone else can wear what they please. As for me I wear ATGATT because I took the slide in “74”. Spent a full year in the Hospital. Hit and run, the guy left me on the side of the road. I was on a Super Glide at the time. Coma for three days, three broken vertebrae, compound fractures both Tibia and Fibula of both lower legs, and completely skinned back from my shoulders to my to the top of my butt from the eighty foot slide that I took. I was wearing a t-shirt . Had I a proper jacket may have helped wit the back.

Spyder Garage

Highway I wear helmet, jeans, and riding jacket year round. Country back roads helmet, jeans and depending on temp, t-shirt or riding jacket. Just running a mile or so to the store, whatever I have on at the time and usually no helmet.

Spyder Garage

Despite being a rider for close to 40 years, I have yet to come to a good answer for myself. I ride for the pleasure of it, nothing more. And I find that I can’t enjoy a ride when I feel like heat stroke is on its way. I wear ankle covering short boots, jeans, gloves (but sometimes the fingerless ones) and always a helmet (usually 3/4 helmet, sometimes modular) but a jacket only sometimes. Under 75 degrees is easy, I wear my Klim mesh jacket and feel safe and comfortable. But when it is over 85 I usually just wear a nylon long sleeve t-shirt for coverage from the sun but optimum airflow. Over 90 I usually leave the bike in the garage and take an air conditioned car. And I’ll admit that for a short ride in town I may wear a regular t-shirt and tennis shoes, and leave the gloves off as well. About the only things that are “all the time” items are jeans and a helmet.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Made the switch from full armored leather jacket to a Carhartt Full Swing heavyweight textile non armored riding jacket in black... Hi Vis vest over jacket...wrangler blue denim carpenter jeans...Hi Vis gloves with rubber palms...Black brushed leather over ankle steel toe boots...Z1R Solaris Modular helmet with the inside retractable sun visor in white...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I guess I'm not considered a serious Ryder. Other than a helmet I dress for the weather conditions, not the extremely remote possibility of sliding down the asphalt.

Guess I am the same, I dress for the weather, not for the chance of a crash or flying fish

Spyder Garage

I dress based on the weather. A comfortable rider is an alert rider, and an alert rider is much better than a fully geared up hot/cold/wet/miserable, distracted rider. I'm all for gear, but I also believe in being comfy and alert so I can be as defensive as possible
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bbolee View Post
    Guess I am the same, I dress for the weather, not for the chance of a crash or flying fish
    Me too. but always a helmet. I Spydered to the market today in 98deg heat, almost killed me. I guess I'm gonna hafta be a Autumn/Winter rider cuz I bought all the heated gear last year before I spent last Fall/Winter in hospital with Covid.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I've been riding Spyders for 10 years and usually wear what the weather is?? I do wear shorts and tee shirts almost the entire summer and no issues.. do have a helmet cuz it is our law.. maybe I'm in the minority but I ride very confortable HOWEVER VERY VIGILANT FOR THE IDIOTS ON THE ROADS!
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I'm personally an ATGATT guy but something has caught my attention in this thread that many may not think of. A few have indicated they wear more protective gear on the hiways and in rural areas than in town. While it's true, you are generally going faster away from town, it is also true you have a greater chance of being involved in an accident in town. Every intersection, every driveway, every vehicle you encounter are potential sources of creating a hazardous situation for you. Those situations are exponentially greater than when riding out of town--just food for thought.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I'm personally an ATGATT guy but something has caught my attention in this thread that many may not think of. A few have indicated they wear more protective gear on the hiways and in rural areas than in town. While it's true, you are generally going faster away from town, it is also true you have a greater chance of being involved in an accident in town. Every intersection, every driveway, every vehicle you encounter are potential sources of creating a hazardous situation for you. Those situations are exponentially greater than when riding out of town--just food for thought.
    I believe the statistics say that most accidents happen within 5 miles of home. IMO: one should be prepared for an accident anywhere, anytime. How riders are dressed for it, is up to them.

We are hearing about what they wear in this thread. And as usual, its soup to nuts.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red