Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    You are going to be reading both sides of the story here.

Have always been a firm believer in ATGATT until moving to the South where 90+ is very common in the summer. l have ATGATT for all levels of weather. But...

We are now in a climate where we can ride most days of the year. Also retired so have a lot of time to kill, and live in a beautiful riding area. A lot of days, a hundred miles is no issue. Currently we are over 25K a year on the bikes.

Now for some of the differences. We always wear helmets, gloves, jeans, and boots. In 70's, we usually wear high viz long sleeve sweatshirts. In 90's, I am down to high viz t-shirt. For trips on the highway, at minimum, the high viz mesh jackets come out. At highway speeds they are tolerable, going through towns at low speeds, they are not. It is a calculated risk, we drive defensively, as if everyone is out to get us.

We are both in our 70's and love to ride the Spyders. My Vulcan 900 was recently sold...so now its all three wheels. I do think we are ahead of the game with three instead of two in many safety aspects.

That's my story, and I am sticking to it.
    This is pretty much where I'm at with the exception of riding for short errands at speeds below 40 mph, then it's whatever I'm wearing at the time and usually helmetless unless it's cold out.
    By the same token I don't wear a helmet when on my bicycle.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They always say you will be in an accident 5 or so miles from home.....
    Well this was 7.2 miles from home....
    this was 8 years ago I was t-boned by a DRUNK, uninsured driver, in a stolen truck
    he did not have a drivers license or insurance, this was his 5th. DUI
    I was in FULL armor riding gear, I got a dislocated right shoulder and was run over with the right rear wheel.
    he went to JAIL I went to the hospital and was released. that is why I always dress for the slide....
    IMG_0499.jpgIMG_0486.jpg
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 06-04-2021 at 08:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I went back and reread about that accident and from my reading of it, the deer hit her dead center, knocking Kathy off the bike (which continued on upright)

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...s-needed/page3 starting at post #70
    The critical point is the lady was not wearing any protective gear. When we're not in a cage it is immaterial who or what hits whom, we lose. Even wearing full protective gear Kathy would have drawn the short straw.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Well, I have worn shorts, however, I have mesh armor that I wear underneath them. The armor is from Bonn Body Armor, https://www.bohnarmor.com/. They're kind of like football girdle pads! I have the long ones too. They even make a thermal set. You can just buy pants only (whichever you choose) and the pads can be switched out. Here in Houston its pretty hot when I ride home from work. I had shorts w/pads on one day and the sun really cooked me! I've decided when its hot, I'll just wear jeans without the armor. I do wear my Joe Rocket mesh jacket (which has become my new favorite) item. I also have a couple of the Bonn Armor shirts that I wear. I always wear my helmet, gloves, and motorcycle shoes (Alpine Stars). I commute 56-65 miles daily. My main concern when I'm riding is someone knocking me off my Spyder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The critical point is the lady was not wearing any protective gear. When we're not in a cage it is immaterial who or what hits whom, we lose. Even wearing full protective gear Kathy would have drawn the short straw.
    Exactly.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

In sub-ninety five degree weather I wear jeans and an armored jacket. Above ninety five I drop to a long sleeve cool and dry shirt and jeans. I never bother with boots, on a Spyder you don’t need ankle support, to solid tennis shoes do the job. I always wear a helmet. In hot weather heat stroke is more danger than being ejected from my Spyder. On two wheels Is ATTGATT, but a Spyder is much lower risk.

Spyder Garage

ATGATT. I had a crash on a 2-wheel and my gear saved my skin. Not a single drop of blood despite a broken collarbone and five broken ribs. I even wear an Helite airbag vest now. With jeans I wear kneepads. Otherwise one piece Aerostich. I feel naked if I don't have all body parts fully protected, like when I wear my hiking shoes instead of riding boots. I also wear a helmet when I ride my bicycle.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    This might seem like a weird question, but a lot of things are new to me when I started riding my Spyder. All years of riding Harleys another two wheelers, I always dressed for the slide and not the ride, which included jeans and heavy boots. The spider seems like a different animal simply because I see people wearing more casual clothing. How do you dress when your ride? I still intend to go full bore on long highway rides.
    When I rode those 2 wheel things, I had a one piece riding suit for the slide as you say. I ride with long sleeve wicking shirt and light weight to heavy weight athletic type pants. Still wear a helmet at all times. At first I wore the protective gear, but never gonna low side or high side the Spyder, thus relaxed my stance on ATGATT. Always wear boots.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What to Wear

I always wear a full-face approved DOT Helmet. A good set of boots, long sleeve shirt and pants. I definitely want to do the right thing for me.

Wear what you want and enjoy some ryde time.

Stay Safe and Stay Healthy. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

It's about feeling freedom while riding being free, living free. Let your conscience be your guide. To each their own. Live and let live. The same thing with helmets if you hit your head with a hammer then put a helmet on your head we all know which one hurts less.That's what being free is make up your own mind and live by it.

Spyder Garage

Always Helmet, Armored Mesh Jacket,Long Jeans, but when cruising, a t-shirt, and shoes( also Alpine-stars), don't care much for gloves, but have them always ready. Attgat when going highway.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

i usually ride when its 70 degrees or above, i never right at night, and i ride in shorts, sneakers, and tank-top, or t-shirt, usually no helmet , unless i go into NY state, and i usually dont go over 50-60 MPH..
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

We have a lot of deer as do most of you. I rode 380 mi yesterday in 90 degree weather. Full ATGATT, modular helmet, jacket, pants, light boots and . . . Alpinestar Tech Air 5 vest. It is a little warmer but not too noticeable. The optional wind wings on the RT are very functional. Plan a 2,000 mi trip later this month. It will be Mad Max on a lot of roads this summer with everyone breaking free.

To maintain focus over 8 hours I used half strength GU energy drink in water (I use for cycling events) 45 oz, and two power bars. The brain needs glucose on a regular basis to maintain focus. The energy drink has added Amino Acids to help maintain focus. Took a break every 1.5 hrs.

Spyder Garage

I don’t understand the thinking of wearing armor on the highway only or on long trips. IMHO you are statistically safer on the highway than you are when just tooling around town.

That being said, having spent much more time off road and dual sport type riding I was firmly ATGATT. I’ve even experienced EMS cutting my expensive armored compression shirt off of me...ouch! When I started doing more pavement oriented rides I started wearing Bohn Amour top and bottom a pretty good compromise in comfort and protection. Even so my biggest concern was laying down my bike and the resulting slide on the pavement.

I truly feel that a collision with a vehicle, deer or cow that a helmet is your best protection and that body armor is going to do little good for a significant impact. As such I have not been as ATGATT since moving to the Spyder, minimum tho is ALWAYS helmet, gloves and boots. I don’t wear body armor on the Spyder since the slide factor is virtually eliminated. I see my dress style for riding as a calculated risk that I’m willing to take.

Another thing that I’ve never been able to understand are those that think that standard denim jeans are some sort of protective gear, they will shred in a heartbeat in a pavement slide.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I don’t understand the thinking of wearing armor on the highway only or on long trips. IMHO you are statistically safer on the highway than you are when just tooling around town.

That being said, having spent much more time off road and dual sport type riding I was firmly ATGATT. I’ve even experienced EMS cutting my expensive armored compression shirt off of me...ouch! When I started doing more pavement oriented rides I started wearing Bohn Amour top and bottom a pretty good compromise in comfort and protection. Even so my biggest concern was laying down my bike and the resulting slide on the pavement.

I truly feel that a collision with a vehicle, deer or cow that a helmet is your best protection and that body armor is going to do little good for a significant impact. As such I have not been as ATGATT since moving to the Spyder, minimum tho is ALWAYS helmet, gloves and boots. I don’t wear body armor on the Spyder since the slide factor is virtually eliminated. I see my dress style for riding as a calculated risk that I’m willing to take.

Another thing that I’ve never been able to understand are those that think that standard denim jeans are some sort of protective gear, they will shred in a heartbeat in a pavement slide.
    completely
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

In summer I wear the sena Calvary and my Klim full mesh jacket. I know it’s not the total safest helmet but it’s something. Even at 98 that jacket doesn’t keep heat in. I wear a cut off shirt under it or a fully vented MX jersey. On super hot days I’ve actually wet the jersey and the wind keeps me really cool. Klim has excellent armor! I have both the induction and maramesh. On long touring days I have fully vented pants too. I’ll put shorts under them and good to go. Jeans on most days though. I’m not worried about the slide on 3 wheels. If I’m thrown they should stay together on the roll vs sliding with the bike. I had a really bad accident 3 years ago. Cracked a carbon fiber helmet and tore through my armored tekvest. Both saved my life! And no it wasn’t my fault either. Tboned at 35mph. Never stood a chance.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sox, Crocs, leather chaps and a helmet. Nothing more, nothing less.

Spyder Garage

I wear jeans/regular pants, modular helmet, gloves, hi-top riding sneakers, and my Helite Turtle airbag vest or TekVest that I wear while snowmobiling.

On hot days, I will wear a long-sleeved, white athletic shirt that wicks away sweat. This is actually a way to stay cooler vs exposing more skin.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

In hot weather I wear short sleeve shirt( Sun screen on arms, neck), jeans, socks, boots, full face helmet, leather gloves. Rain gear is always on the bike.

In cool weather ( fall) I wear a long sleeve shirt, jeans, socks, boots, heated jacket ( I wear the heated jacket when I ride the sled, off topic) back on topic, Can-Am Jacket. gloves.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    ...IMHO you are statistically safer on the highway than you are when just tooling around town.
    The problem with statistics is you just don't know where you stand. Forty-eight years ago on US-13 on the eastern shore of VA if it hadn't been for the God-given brain and driving skill I was awarded somewhere along the line, a family of four would have been wiped out in a head-on collision at a combined impact speed of 100. On my motorcycle I would have been dead meat under any circumstances. No matter how hot it gets I can always shower after a sweaty ATGATT ride.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The problem with statistics is you just don't know where you stand. Forty-eight years ago on US-13 on the eastern shore of VA if it hadn't been for the God-given brain and driving skill I was awarded somewhere along the line, a family of four would have been wiped out in a head-on collision at a combined impact speed of 100. On my motorcycle I would have been dead meat under any circumstances. No matter how hot it gets I can always shower after a sweaty ATGATT ride.
    It's all about personal risk tolerance and assessment.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

With a 100 mph impact on a motorcycle you are dead meat with or without ATGATT. But again that is a calculated risk that anyone who rides has decided they are willing to take.

Spyder Garage

Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but with the heat today I rode in shorts (usually wear jeans) and sandals (again not the norm), but I was comfortable and enjoyed every minute. But now my feet have tan lines, and I got a little burnt…. I’m thinking personal protection might have to include the sun…
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

The truth of the matter is that if you get knocked off your Spyder in just about any fashion, you're gonna slide after hitting the deck.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

ATGATT. My wife and I both love our Aerostitch Roadcrafter 1 piece suits that we had custom fit at a "pop-up" AS store. It does get hot here in AZ though and the Stitch is only good to about 80. Above that we both have mesh armored jackets and wear kevlar jeans with Bohn body armor pants under them. When it gets too hot we either don't ride or I just remember the old adage "I'd rather sweat than bleed".