Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I guess I am confused. Lot of folks here saying that you can't go down on 3 wheels. My Spyder did not come with the anti being hit or hitting anything shield therefore I wear ATGATT. I will give you that going down due to rider error is greatly reduced but that is it. You can still get thrown from the Spyder very easily getting hit or hitting something else. I swear more people cut me off or pull out in front of me on my Spyder then my bikes.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Spyders can and will turn over. There have been a few deaths over the years. Not many though. Most deaths happen from ejection type accidents. With those, it usually does not matter what your wearing. The outcomes are usually not good.

The OP's subject line is "how do YOU dress for a ride?"

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    I wear tee-shirt and shorts typically for shorter rides or when cooler. But I do wear pants when hot out and for longer rides because the heat will burn my lower right leg otherwise. It happened with out trip to Colorado from Kansas. It was 100 out and I had shorts on. Ended up changing to pants because the heat was burning my leg\ankle.

But still typically just a tee shirt.
    I would be afraid of a bee going up my skirt!!!! And stinging some thing, near and dear to my heart!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty much an ATTGATT rider although I don't have armored pants yet. I usually wear thicker lined jeans. I have a light mesh armored jacket for the hotter days but if it gets above 90 I'm into a t-shirt or won't ride.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Maybe I didn’t make myself clear on the original post. That couldn’t happen could it? I totally agree that one should be safety up if they are going to ride on the highway. I wouldn’t leave home without it so to speak. But here in Lincoln for example today it is 96°. So in town, I don’t think I’ll hit a deer and will be going at a speed where I can avoid dogs, cats and other vermin. Now I know that if I get T-bones at an intersection, neither jeans or high boots are going to save my leg. But I still wear a good helmet of course, gloves, boots and jeans. But at 100° plus in the summer I am losing a lot of quality riding time. So my original question would be and still is, can I wear shorts while still have a good hand and head protection? But actually after thinking about it most of this afternoon this is probably a decision left to the rider himself. Have a great weekend.

Spyder Garage

Been there, done that and I got stung nine times by a wasp before I beat the damn thing to death. Sad thing is I didn’t get a T-shirt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    here in Lincoln for example today it is 96°.........can I wear shorts while still have a good hand and head protection? But actually after thinking about it most of this afternoon this is probably a decision left to the rider himself. Have a great weekend.
    It's 85 here in my neck of the woods today. I went out for a ride earlier. I pretty much ride 80% of the time just as you described. Shorts, long or short sleeve pullover shirt, and definitely Gloves, and Helmet. But that's my style when it's hot out. I ride for comfort when riding. On the highway, that's a totally different attire.

Weekends looking to be a good one here. ENJOY! We'll be out cruising as well.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    Maybe I didn’t make myself clear on the original post. That couldn’t happen could it? I totally agree that one should be safety up if they are going to ride on the highway. I wouldn’t leave home without it so to speak. But here in Lincoln for example today it is 96°. So in town, I don’t think I’ll hit a deer and will be going at a speed where I can avoid dogs, cats and other vermin. Now I know that if I get T-bones at an intersection, neither jeans or high boots are going to save my leg. But I still wear a good helmet of course, gloves, boots and jeans. But at 100° plus in the summer I am losing a lot of quality riding time. So my original question would be and still is, can I wear shorts while still have a good hand and head protection? But actually after thinking about it most of this afternoon this is probably a decision left to the rider himself. Have a great weekend.
    I don't distinguish between short and long rides; it's all the same exposure to risk and sunburn.

Long sleeves, ankle high shoes, long pants (not jeans) gloves and helmet.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Yea Pete, I believe I would rethink that one. Did you read the post where a couple went over on their spyder while turning and in reverse going too fast? Oops! If you're a young person and dump your ride people just laugh at you. If you're an old f**t and dump your ride people run to help you.
    I don't ever go fast or turn at speed while in reverse. So, I don't think that weird incident has a bearing on my thinking at all.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I guess then when a rider hits a deer at speed and the forcible ejection from the Spyder sends the him/her wearing no protective gear on an asphalt ride that can and has ended with serious or possibly fatal injuries we should just blame the deer and move on.
    Name one instance where someone got thrown from their Spyder from hitting a deer.

I think the only fatality that has been reported on SL was an instance where a Ryder swerved hard, let go and fell off. She died because she wasn't wearing a helmet from what I recall.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I have been down. Just sayin.
    On a Spyder? Or 2-wheeler?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I guess I'm not considered a serious Ryder. Other than a helmet I dress for the weather conditions, not the extremely remote possibility of sliding down the asphalt.

Spyder Garage

Name one instance where someone got thrown from their Spyder from hitting a deer.

I think the only fatality that has been reported on SL was an instance where a Ryder swerved hard, let go and fell off. She died because she wasn't wearing a helmet from what I recall.
    Actually Utah, if you read back thru it all, the ultimate 'cause of death' appears to have been the massive infection that set in as a result of all the lost skin directly attributable to the slide. Either way, it was a tragic result directly attrubutable to being thrown off a Spyder.... and it's not the only one, nor the only time a ryder has ended up parting company with their Spyder due to either hitting something or swerving hard to avoid hitting something! There have been a few here in Oz too, in town & at relatively low speed, with the major damage & ultimate CoD being the massive skin debridement & the reaction to all the road crap that got ground into that major & extremely important body organ!

Generally, I Dress for the Slide, not for the Ryde! but I do wear lightweight & breathable mesh type gear (with armour) in our 40+°C weather. The mesh keeps the skin where it needs to be; the armour minimises the broken bones!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2021 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Can't spell... sometimes! ;-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I am a newbie, never ridden a bike but middle age crisis setting in, I got a 2020 Spyder RTL, reason being, to take the wife along and enjoy. Starting out I equipped the Spyder and ourselves with every safety gear possible, from flashing head, strobe tail lights, to BRP led floorboard lights, and for us the usual gear plus a Hiviz Helite Turtle Airbags. I am so new, I almost crashed into a car taking a corner... there was two things that made us escape the accident, GOD and Spyder safety systems. The speed and angle of entering the corner was so fast, and became steep to prevent hitting the car, that I could hear my wife's scream, see the front of the car coming, and knowing within my mind that I messed up. As far as the Spyder, I concluded, it will not turn over, it just stopped in the corner, I mean stopped, ... and as you can imagine, I had to try and calm my wife down. Wearing the right gear is a must for me. This will never happen again...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Personally, I ride with a helmet, Hi Vis jackets, over ankle boots…..and a big smile.
    Wow......so you don’t wear pants, Chris? You must get pulled over a lot.......please don’t post photos.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JamSpyder View Post
    I am a newbie, never ridden a bike but middle age crisis setting in, I got a 2020 Spyder RTL, reason being, to take the wife along and enjoy. Starting out I equipped the Spyder and ourselves with every safety gear possible, from flashing head, strobe tail lights, to BRP led floorboard lights, and for us the usual gear plus a Hiviz Helite Turtle Airbags. I am so new, I almost crashed into a car taking a corner... there was two things that made us escape the accident, GOD and Spyder safety systems. The speed and angle of entering the corner was so fast, and became steep to prevent hitting the car, that I could hear my wife's scream, see the front of the car coming, and knowing within my mind that I messed up. As far as the Spyder, I concluded, it will not turn over, it just stopped in the corner, I mean stopped, ... and as you can imagine, I had to try and calm my wife down. Wearing the right gear is a must for me. This will never happen again...
    On anything other than a Spyder, with its inherent stability, exceptional braking and electronics nanny the outcome would have been very different, especially as a novice motorcyclist with a passenger.

Your safety gear didn't even factor into it, as I understand what you wrote.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input and I appreciate it. As for me riding around town and 90 to 100° weather it’s going to be shorts, T-shirt, tennis, gloves and a good helmet. I’ve investigated more motorcycle accidents than I would like to admit but, none of them, particularly severe injuries and deaths would’ve made a difference if they were wearing jeans, tall boots, or armor gear. What made the difference in many of them was a good helmet. So I must go on my experience in riding for a few decades and investigating accidents to make up my mind on what I’m going to wear at certain times of the year. Take care all and have a wonderful weekend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Wow......so you don’t wear pants, Chris? You must get pulled over a lot.......please don’t post photos.

Pete
    Maybe those are really tall boots...?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Name one instance where someone got thrown from their Spyder from hitting a deer...
    Steve Humphrey's (Roadster Renovations) late wife hit one at better than 50 wearing no protective gear, spent most of summer in hospital, family ultimately had to pull the plug.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

ATGATT and selected for the temperature.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input and I appreciate it. As for me riding around town and 90 to 100° weather it’s going to be shorts, T-shirt, tennis, gloves and a good helmet. I’ve investigated more motorcycle accidents than I would like to admit but, none of them, particularly severe injuries and deaths would’ve made a difference if they were wearing jeans, tall boots, or armor gear. What made the difference in many of them was a good helmet. So I must go on my experience in riding for a few decades and investigating accidents to make up my mind on what I’m going to wear at certain times of the year. Take care all and have a wonderful weekend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Steve Humphrey's (Roadster Renovations) late wife hit one at better than 50 wearing no protective gear, spent most of summer in hospital, family ultimately had to pull the plug.
    I went back and reread about that accident and from my reading of it, the deer hit her dead center, knocking Kathy off the bike (which continued on upright)

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...s-needed/page3 starting at post #70
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

On a Spyder? Or 2-wheeler?
    Two wheeler of course. So far, so good on the Spyders.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Ever been hit by a rock doing 60mph?
    Rock¿ how bout those bugs with “MYSUL” (Make You Speak Unknown Language) stingers! otherwise proper protection while remaining comfortable

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights