Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How do you dress for a ride?

This might seem like a weird question, but a lot of things are new to me when I started riding my Spyder. All years of riding Harleys another two wheelers, I always dressed for the slide and not the ride, which included jeans and heavy boots. The spider seems like a different animal simply because I see people wearing more casual clothing. How do you dress when your ride? I still intend to go full bore on long highway rides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    This might seem like a weird question, but a lot of things are new to me when I started riding my Spyder. All years of riding Harleys another two wheelers, I always dressed for the slide and not the ride, which included jeans and heavy boots. The spider seems like a different animal simply because I see people wearing more casual clothing. How do you dress when your ride? I still intend to go full bore on long highway rides.
    Ever been hit by a rock doing 60mph? How about that deer ?
    Alot of riders have the thought process of” that will never happen to me”
    Dress the way you feel Safely Comfortable! Don’t let others sway your decisions as far as safety…..you’re the one that has to live with the Results!
    Personally, I ride with a helmet, Hi Vis jackets, over ankle boots…..and a big smile.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Locally (in warm weather), I wear armored mesh jacket, armored mesh gloves, modular helmet, boots, jeans. Touring add armored mesh overpants. Some ask "isn't that hot?" I reply "have you ever slid on asphalt?" On 2 wheels, always ATGATT.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    There are a lot of Spyder Ryders that are not really serious about ryding. That is why you see so many 3 year old spyders for sale with 1500 miles on them. We are ATGATT with gear that is comfortable and functional in all weather conditions.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

During years of riding two wheels, I developed the ATGATT habit and see no reason to change just because I am now riding a Spyder. Two piece jacket that can be either a full rain proof jacket or a mesh jacket but with armor in both cases, boots, either jeans and chaps or textile pants convertible to mesh with armor, modular helmet and leather riding gloves with armor. Even on a Spyder or conventional trike you are still exposed to flying rocks, becoming air borne in a wreck or hitting a deer, dog or other animals. Just makes sense to me. I cringe every time I see someone on a bike or trike in t-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes or even worse a rider with their significant other on the pillion not dressed to ride. That always makes me think, why don't they care about their passenger's safety!

Spyder Garage

Another vote for ATGATT!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Those of us who come from the world of two wheels know how hard the ground is, the dangers of invisible obstacles and the horribleness of scratches against the ground, so always helmet, modulate as a minimum, gloves, boots, cordura pants and jackets.
    With the Spyder I relax a bit in the summer and wear jeans on short trips. In general no changes from two.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    There are a lot of Spyder Ryders that are not really serious about ryding. That is why you see so many 3 year old spyders for sale with 1500 miles on them. We are ATGATT with gear that is comfortable and functional in all weather conditions.
    I guess I'm not considered a serious Ryder. Other than a helmet I dress for the weather conditions, not the extremely remote possibility of sliding down the asphalt.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I guess I'm not considered a serious Ryder. Other than a helmet I dress for the weather conditions, not the extremely remote possibility of sliding down the asphalt.
    Well darn, I guess I'm not either. I'm like you Pete. Are we in the minority or the majority, we may never know?

Spyder Garage

I wear tee-shirt and shorts typically for shorter rides or when cooler. But I do wear pants when hot out and for longer rides because the heat will burn my lower right leg otherwise. It happened with out trip to Colorado from Kansas. It was 100 out and I had shorts on. Ended up changing to pants because the heat was burning my leg\ankle.

But still typically just a tee shirt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I ride several thousands of miles each year. If that isn't a serious rider, not sure what it is called then.

Spyder Garage

My thoughts exactly! I dress for the ride, weather, and whether it be local or long distance. Always have my helmet on though.

Heck, just walking out your front door these days can get you shot, but I'm not about to start wearing a bullet proof vest either.

To each their own. Be safe, ride with Vigilance.......and just enjoy the breeze.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Atgatt

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Well darn, I guess I'm not either. I'm like you Pete. Are we in the minority or the majority, we may never know?
    but Never shorts, wear gloves, and carry raingear ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

You are going to be reading both sides of the story here.

Have always been a firm believer in ATGATT until moving to the South where 90+ is very common in the summer. l have ATGATT for all levels of weather. But...

We are now in a climate where we can ride most days of the year. Also retired so have a lot of time to kill, and live in a beautiful riding area. A lot of days, a hundred miles is no issue. Currently we are over 25K a year on the bikes.

Now for some of the differences. We always wear helmets, gloves, jeans, and boots. In 70's, we usually wear high viz long sleeve sweatshirts. In 90's, I am down to high viz t-shirt. For trips on the highway, at minimum, the high viz mesh jackets come out. At highway speeds they are tolerable, going through towns at low speeds, they are not. It is a calculated risk, we drive defensively, as if everyone is out to get us.

We are both in our 70's and love to ride the Spyders. My Vulcan 900 was recently sold...so now its all three wheels. I do think we are ahead of the game with three instead of two in many safety aspects.

That's my story, and I am sticking to it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

There are two kinds of motorcycle riders; Those that have been down and those who are going down! Been there, done that. ALWAYS dress to ride.

Life is not good or bad, it's just Life. Deal with it!

2018 F-3T, 2016 2500 Ram 4x4, 2020 VW Cross Sport, 2012 Travel trailer

Spyder Garage

I do not want to become a meat crayon in case of an accident. So I wear kevlar jeans, kevlar hoodie or leather jacket, back protection, kevlar gloves, motorbike boots with proper ankle protection and a full helmet.
    Even with proper gear, you are likely to be hurt in case of an accident. But the reduced risk is well worth the sacrifice in comfort, at least for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    There are two kinds of motorcycle riders; Those that have been down and those who are going down! Been there, done that. ALWAYS dress to ride.
    I've been down, but only on 2-wheeler. Spyder isn't going to dump you on the pavement.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Have always been a firm believer in ATGATT until moving to the South where 90+ is very common in the summer. l have ATGATT for all levels of weather. But...

We always wear helmets, gloves, jeans, and boots. In 70's, we usually wear high viz long sleeve sweatshirts. In 90's, I am down to high viz t-shirt. For trips on the highway, at minimum, the high viz mesh jackets come out. At highway speeds they are tolerable, going through towns at low speeds, they are not. It is a calculated risk, we drive defensively, as if everyone is out to get us. I do think we are ahead of the game with three instead of two in many safety aspects.
    Right on!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    but Never shorts, wear gloves, and carry raingear ..... Mike
    long pants, long sleeves and gloves for SUN protection.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I meet or see another rider, whether I'm in my cage or on my spyder, I don't focus on high-viz clothing. I just see a person on a motorcycle. I've never really understood high-viz clothing. If you can't recognize a motorcycle and its rider when you see one, then you have no business behind the wheel operating a vehicle. Maybe, you think it would be more noticeable and safer if we rode nacked? Uh,,,,I think not. LOL

Spyder Garage

...Spyder isn't going to dump you on the pavement.
    I guess then when a rider hits a deer at speed and the forcible ejection from the Spyder sends the him/her wearing no protective gear on an asphalt ride that can and has ended with serious or possibly fatal injuries we should just blame the deer and move on.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    I have been down. Just sayin.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been down, but only on 2-wheeler. Spyder isn't going to dump you on the pavement.
    Yea Pete, I believe I would rethink that one. Did you read the post where a couple went over on their spyder while turning and in reverse going too fast? Oops! If you're a young person and dump your ride people just laugh at you. If you're an old f**t and dump your ride people run to help you.

Spyder Garage

Very strong opinions. As a mod, I am requesting to keep the discussion civil. No need to pick at one another. We all do what we are going to do. At 75, my mind (what's left of it) is pretty well made up.

We have all heard the scary safety messages. No need for them here. The OP asked "how do you dress for a ride?" Lets address that and leave the lectures out.

2020 F3L , Magma Red