Spyder Garage

Default Load testing a battery - how?

When the subject of failing batteries comes up, the question of load testing your battery comes up. How does a person load test their battery and what device or tool do you need to do so?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim

Spyder Garage

You can ether go to most auto repair stores and they will do it for you, for free in most cases, or if you want your own tester you can buy one at most of those stores also! I like the free part myself!! I am sure that some one will give you the voodoo science of it, but it tests your plates inside your battery under load, if there's a fast drop in voltage that's bad!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Testing amps not just static voltage. CCA ( Cold Cranking Amps) yet another diversity in battery size & functionality.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

As stated above, take it to just about any auto parts store and they will do it for free. Even most Wal-Marts do it if they do oil changes and tires.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Just make sure battery has been fully charged before testing.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

I think I saw a LOAD TESTER at Harbor Freight the other day for $19.95. I've had one for years and it works fine.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

If you don't have access to a load tester immediately, then you can still do a rudimentary 'load test' using just a multi-meter.

You should always do this to a 'rested battery', not something that's just come off a charger or tender, or you might get false 'high readings' from the cover charge the recent charging/tendering has put in there; so wait about a half an hour or so after disconnecting the battery from any external chargers/tenders &/or after running the engine. Then set your multi-meter to the 0-20 volts range, connect it across the battery terminals, and take a reading - write it down. Next, while you watch the multi-meter to see what the charge drops to, get someone to start the engine. You need to see (& write down) the LOWEST voltage you see; and then look for & write down the voltage that the multi-meter settles on once the engine is running smoothly at idle. Finally, rev the engine up to about 3500 rpm and write down the (hopefully higher ) voltage that those revs produce.

If you've done this properly, you'll end up with Four (4) readings:
    1. Resting Voltage;
    2. Starting Voltage (under load, as the starter is cranking & before the engine fires);
    3. Idling Voltage (alternator or magneto provided voltage @ idle); and
    4. Charging voltage (alternator or magneto charge output voltage).

Because Spyder batteries are (usually) AGM batteries AND some of the Spyder's systems are extremely power hungry, if you don't have AT LEAST the following readings for each of these, you may well be having 'low battery' problems:

1. Resting.... = 12.5v (or more!);
    2. Starting... = 12.0v (or more!);
    3. Idling....... = 12.75v (or more!);
    4. Charging. = 13.25v (or more, but not too much over 14.0v!)

Now some might feel the need to argue about the specific voltages I've put up there, but those I've provided above are derived from a reasonable amount of experience with SPYDERS and their power hungry systems, and while they may not be exactly what someone else considers right or what some internet chart provides, they are a good working guide where I've found that if you don't get AT LEAST those readings in this rudimentary multi-meter based 'load test', then you'll very likely be experiencing (or about to experience) 'low battery' issues (if voltages 1. or 2. are any lower) or charging system issues (if voltages 3. or 4. are any lower) with your Spyder. And please remember, this is a rudimentary test intended as a guide to help someone who doesn't have immediate access to a 'proper' load tester but who can access & use a basic multi-meter; and it's info provided in the hope that it might help some Spyder Ryders who may not be as fully up to speed on this sort of stuff as some others may be.

Over to you all. Good luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-03-2021 at 06:44 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you don't have access to a load tester immediately, then you can still do a rudimentary 'load test' using just a multi-meter.

You should always do this to a 'rested battery', not something that's just come off a charger or tender, or you might get false 'high readings' from the cover charge the recent charging/tendering has put in there; so wait about a half an hour or so after disconnecting the battery from any external chargers/tenders &/or after running the engine. Then set your multi-meter to the 0-20 volts range, connect it across the battery terminals, and take a reading - write it down. Next, while you watch the multi-meter to see what the charge drops to, get someone to start the engine. You need to see (& write down) the LOWEST voltage you see; and then look for & write down the voltage that the multi-meter settles on once the engine is running smoothly at idle. Finally, rev the engine up to about 3500 rpm and write down the (hopefully higher ) voltage that those revs produce.

1. Resting Voltage;
    2. Starting Voltage (under load, as the starter is cranking & before the engine fires);

Because Spyder batteries are (usually) AGM batteries AND some of the Spyder's systems are extremely power hungry, if you don't have AT LEAST the following readings for each of these, you may well be having 'low battery' problems:

Now some might feel the need to argue about the specific voltages I've put up there, but those I've provided above are derived from a reasonable amount of experience with SPYDERS and their power hungry systems, and while they may not be exactly what someone else considers right or what some internet chart provides, they are a good working guide where I've found that if you don't get AT LEAST those readings in this rudimentary multi-meter based 'load test', then you'll very likely be experiencing (or about to experience) 'low battery' issues (if voltages 1. or 2. are any lower) or charging system issues (if voltages 3. or 4. are any lower) with your Spyder. And please remember, this is a rudimentary test intended as a guide to help someone who doesn't have immediate access to a 'proper' load tester but who can access & use a basic multi-meter; and it's info provided in the hope that it might help some Spyder Ryders who may not be as fully up to speed on this sort of stuff as some others may be.

Such a nice, concise writeup that I clipped it out and added it to my Spyder maintenance note file. Here are the readings from my 2020RT that I took a while back, just in case there's trouble down the road:

Battery Voltage measurements:
    Off, no key in ignition 12.82v
    Off, ken in ignition 12.82v
    Battery Load Test (Innova 3320) 12.7v
    Cranking 11.28v
    Charging 14.73v
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    When the subject of failing batteries comes up, the question of load testing your battery comes up. How does a person load test their battery and what device or tool do you need to do so?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim
    Always make sure the battery is fully charged before load testing!

Spyder Garage

1. Resting Voltage;

I knew you'd come threw Peter!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

1. Resting Voltage;

Thanks for the details Pete - you'll make a motorhead out of me yet. . I appreciate the information.

Spyder Garage

These readings are with a Digital meter. Not an old darsinval (clock spring) meter.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim
    I took my ride to NAPA and they tested it for me, no charge. I think most any auto parts place will like Auto Zone or O'Reily.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A "poor man's way" to load test the battery is this. Connect a voltmeter to the battery. Hold the throttle wide open. This keeps the engine from starting. Push the starter button and hold it for several seconds. If the voltage drops quickly to near 10.5 then the battery is questionable. If the voltage drops slowly then the battery is good. Don't crank the engine for more than about 10 or 15 seconds without pausing or the starter may get hot.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)