Spyder Garage

Default How many Spyder owners ride with no extended warranty?

I would like to know how many people trust their Spyders to ride them without a warranty! I have bought many two wheel motorcycles, and never had a warranty, including several Harley's. My Spyder dealer"s hourly rates are $128 dollars an hour for a Tech with ear rings in several places and tattoo's over most off his arms and neck. I never worried about the Harley dealers, they over charge, but not at this high rate, and they had the parts to fix it that day! I am getting at the age I need to quite riding anyway, but I have owned three Spyders and never let one get out of warranty!!! Your thoughts on riding your Spyder with no warranty would be appreciated!

Spyder Garage

I ride without a warranty and I always have including my Harleys and vehicles. Only because I am simply gambling on breaking even or making money by not doing so. On the other hand my biggest concern with the Spyder is not being able to get the damn parts. I never had trouble getting parts for any of my other bikes. I just pray that I don’t break down on the trip because I’ll be taking an airplane home.

Spyder Garage

Seven Spyders since 2008. Only one that had an extended warranty (the 2014) was a freebie from BRP. Never needed to use it. It was traded off in January of 2021. My current two F3's do not have an extended warranty. I have until November of this year to buy the extended one for the oldest of the two. The jury is out at this time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Currently riding a 2018 F3-S without a warranty. Pretty decent mechanically, so I'm not TOO worried.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    I would like to know how many people trust their Spyders to ride them without a warranty! I have bought many two wheel motorcycles, and never had a warranty, including several Harley's.
    My 2015 F3S didn't have warranty when I bought it in 2019. Didn't bat an eye. Deal was right and I do all my own work.

My Spyder dealer"s hourly rates are $128 dollars an hour for a Tech with ear rings in several places and tattoo's over most off his arms and neck.
    I fail to see how this description of the Tech has any relevance unless you are trying to imply he doesn't know what he's doing - and again - I don't see how the description of how he looks justifies that. Wow, just wow!

I never worried about the Harley dealers, they over charge, but not at this high rate, and they had the parts to fix it that day! I am getting at the age I need to quite riding anyway, but I have owned three Spyders and never let one get out of warranty!!!
    Curious where you live where Harley is cheaper Than the $100+ hourly rate. Also - what's your own experience tell you? If you've had 3 and never let one get out of warranty - how much did you use the warranty? Seems if you used it you would want to keep it - and if you didn't - well, what's that tell you?

Your thoughts on riding your Spyder with no warranty would be appreciated!
    If the Spyder runs well when I check it out to buy it - I wouldn't worry too much about a warranty - nice to have - but not a deal breaker for me.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Never had a warranty on my 2010 RT and have never felt the need. I do my own work and when the day comes that I cant, I guess the bikes will go. I've gone as far as replacing both plugs and wires on a 998 which means that a good portion of the tupperware comes off. Just put in the BR sway bar, have done brakes and tires. Wouldn't want to know what the dealer would have charged for any of that service, but it would not have been cheap.

As a matter of fact, the only warranty I have ever had on a bike comes with my last purchase, a 2019 BMW C650 that I got new. Not worried about it either, still do the routine maintenance since that is not covered under the warranty.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Overhere (the Netherlands), they don't offer extended warranty, we have laws in europe, that the product delivered, needs to function properly during it's lifetime, and they are hugely in favour of the owner, Bussiness to customer that is, not if you buy from the guy next door.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I purchased an extended warranty for my Spyder and it expired in Sept 2019 unused with 62.3K miles on the clock. I now have 72.5K on it (pandemic cost me about 7,500K+ in unaccrued miles), have had no problems and plan to ride it for 200K or until I can no longer ride. If I were to purchase a new RT, in which chances of that happening are between slim and none, I would also purchase another extended warranty but riding without one is just another of life's gambles that I willingly take.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I've disregarded warranty on several new purchases of cars boats bikes over the years and always done my own maintenance.Never had a need for a claim relating to any work I've performed.Had a couple of goes at getting an electrical glitch at the marine dealer sorted no questions asked similar story at Spyder dealer no problem connecting to Buds to check for codes free of charge.I'm that far in front with labour cost savings, warranty fees, transport to dealers etc if one of the things exploded tomorrow (which it wont) it wouldn't bother me.
    Forums produce the bad stuff that happens to the minority and it gets blown out of proportion.Last time I started a thread about how reliable my stuff was it turned into keyboard anarchy because it was so boring.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Never have paid for an extended warranty on anything including my 2015 RT which has been trouble free AND it gets ridden a lot.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2012 used with no warranty. I bought an extended one from a 3rd party,used it once wich did pay for the warranty. It expired after 2 years and I have no warranty now although I have one I could buy, but decided to pass. At 63,000 + miles the charging system quit. While it was expensive to fix, it was less then the cost of a warranty. Otherwise it have been very reliable. I do most of my own maintenance work. My opinion of extended warranties has become "you can pay me now or you can pay me later". I think this will be my last motorcycle and I intend to ride it until either it can't go any more or I can't. So far I think it will last a long time with just regular maintenance. I think my next major expense will be a belt or maybe a clutch.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was never offered one my 2020 F3 so I didn't buy it. But I have a feeling I will be needing it though. If the fasteners aren't overtightened on my spyder they are way too loose. Every time I wash my Spyder (only hose and nozzle) after a long ride I keep finding pushpins that have dropped out and stuck in the frame during my ride.

I'll let the dealership figure out where they are supposed to go back in.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I had my Spyder for just over 3 years. In that time it was in the shop 3 different times for 3 different problems, all covered by warranty. Each time the shop had the bike for at least a month while waiting in line for the mechanics time, parts, and repair. The last time was for a failed fuel pump which the dealership invoiced BRP for over $1,000.00. Each repair exceeded the cost of my extended warranty. My warranty ran out just after the fuel pump replacement and the bike was sold a week later. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

We have our first Spyder - 2021 RTL. I will most likely purchase the extended warranty. Our '06 GoldWing needed a new speed sensor which was buried in the motor, and a new seat both during the extended warranty period. Either would have cost well more than the warranty. The GoldWing had 123537 miles on it when we sold it last week. Those two warranty items were the only issues that it had in the 15 years we owned it. I expect similar reliability from the CanAm.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I tend to do things to my vehicles that void the warranty (exception, Ryker so far). So, an extended warranty is usually of little value to me. I'm always running into people who say they'd love to do this or that to their vehicle, but it would void the warranty (many times not true). But I don't want the restriction.

When the DPS went out on my 2008 Spyder (twice) it got replaced on warranty. They tried to tell me that modifications I'd made was the cause, and initially refused the warranty claim. But when I asked them how the sighted modification could effect a completely unrelated component. They fixed my dead DPS on the original factory warranty. They didn't say anything for the 2nd one. I just put a 3rd one on this last month (dead again). This one was on me. But I'm over 12 years out. So, this was going to be on my dime no matter what.

Insurance is always the same. They are betting you don't have an issue (and they have all the stats and data in an algorithm to support their bet). You are betting that you will have a problem. Like any gamble. The player group, as a whole, always loses. Otherwise, the insurance company would go bankrupt.

Not saying that insurance is necessary a bad thing. Just that though you might come out on top here or there, in the long run, the consumer rarely wins.

Update: Just wanted to say that I'm not telling anyone not to get an extended warranty. Or, that it is necessarily a bad idea. Sometimes piece of mind is worth the expense. Especially if you can't do the work yourself. This is just my take and rationale. Not a one-size-fits-all opinion.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-04-2021 at 02:27 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

A couple things about those extended warranties:

The statistical odds are that you will not need it. That is what the warranty providers count on. That is where some of the extra profits on the deal are made.

If a $1000 plus repair expense is going to put you out of commission because of lack of funds...maybe you should consider the extended warranty. A couple dealers offer the three year extended for around $700. That is a good deal, if you need major repairs. And then Murphy kicks in. If you got it, you probably won't need it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would like to know how many people trust their Spyders to ride them without a warranty! I have bought many two wheel motorcycles, and never had a warranty, including several Harley's. My Spyder dealer"s hourly rates are $128 dollars an hour for a Tech with ear rings in several places and tattoo's over most off his arms and neck. I never worried about the Harley dealers, they over charge, but not at this high rate, and they had the parts to fix it that day! I am getting at the age I need to quite riding anyway, but I have owned three Spyders and never let one get out of warranty!!! Your thoughts on riding your Spyder with no warranty would be appreciated!
    I never bought the extended warranty I feel it is a waste of money,
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 06-05-2021 at 04:17 PM.