Thread: Oil change fun

Spyder Garage

Default Oil change fun

At 63 years old I have changed a lot of oil in my day on countless vehicles. I’m wondering if Can-Am had a meeting to find ways to make it more difficult….maybe two filters in different spots nearly impossible to maneuver the filter out and in. Two oil plugs made of metal that strips out easy (the previous owner (or shop where he had it changed) over tightened the trans plug and it is stripped out). Surely they could have made it more user friendly.

Jerry
    2013 RTL

Spyder Garage

Wèll of course they could have but where would the fun have been in that? Go to Value Accessories(sponser on this website) and get two new plugs from them to replace your stock striped plugs. They should cost you under$20.00. I have had them for several years in my 2012. As I remember you need one of each.
    I tried using ball end Allen wrenches on the filter but even that was too fidely so I just drilled a hole thru the support and bought a loooong Allen wrench,problem solved. Oh and once I got the bottom plate off I never put it back.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Good to know about changing the oil plugs when it's time. I'm assuming they're the dreaded torx?
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KnurledNut View Post
    Good to know about changing the oil plugs when it's time. I'm assuming they're the dreaded torx?
    On the 998 one is torx and one is Allen. I don't know on the 1330.There seem to me to be 2 major problems. Too many people look at one and think they are both the same and too many people don't get the tool ALL the way into the hole. Either one will get you a striped out screw head. Couple that with them being FFFFFFAAAAAAARRRRR too tight and or heat sealed in place and it is a hassel.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KnurledNut View Post
    I believe they are different . one is Torx the other Hex .... good luck .... I always give the ratchet socket a good RAP , this will loosen the Varnish that has formed .... and I ALWAYS set the ratchet to LOOSEN before I put it on ..... jmho .... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yep, I will be getting new plugs for both and get them installed.

I wrote this post before I tried changing the air filter…what a job that is! I do know they made these to look great and had to stuff components wherever…I get it. Seems they could have tried to make the air cleaner more assessable.

Spyder Garage

Yes, one is a torx, one an Allen. The torx is on the left. Replace them. An extended Allen socket set helps on the trans filter. Just take your time. It gets easier!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Of course there's another option to change them over to gold plugs. But be carful not to over tighten ANY of them, and like Mike suggested, give them a small tap with a hammer before you start!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I Guys !

Several tool stores, Canadian T, Walm,so as not to make any publicity sell sets socket and in the same box there are allend sockets and torx sockets, with a good 3/8 '' ratchet its not a problem of device either one or the other.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Yea and if yours was like mine I think BRP my have added a weld to the right side one just for fun LOL. OMG what that thing way over torqued from the factory. In all seriousness that right one was really on there. Had to hammer on it a little to break the paint or something under the head of the plug.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

I Guys

I bought used, it had just had the first oil change made.

both oil plugs the engine is 260 pound inches, and the transmission 177 pound inches on mon 2014 RTL, I don't understand why its squeezing so tightly.

FlyBoy2121

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy2121 View Post
    I Guys

I bought used, it had just had the first oil change made.

both oil plugs the engine is 260 pound inches, and the transmission 177 pound inches on mon 2014 RTL, I don't understand why its squeezing so tightly.

FlyBoy2121
    If you insist on using a torque wrench on the drain plugs, consider that torque specs are for dry, clean threads. Lubricated with oil (like all drain plugs are) require a 20-30% reduction in the tightening force. If you use the full spec, you've got a chance of stripping the threads on the ENGINE CASE. Some folks have found this out the hard way. The specified force is screaming tight -- my arm says, "danger, danger, danger, don't do this!"
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

I Butter Smooth

Thank you I will follow your advice I will tighten them a lot less.

FlyBoy2121

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefburg View Post
    At 63 years old I have changed a lot of oil in my day on countless vehicles. I’m wondering if Can-Am had a meeting to find ways to make it more difficult….maybe two filters in different spots nearly impossible to maneuver the filter out and in. Two oil plugs made of metal that strips out easy (the previous owner (or shop where he had it changed) over tightened the trans plug and it is stripped out). Surely they could have made it more user friendly.

Jerry
    2013 RTL
    The Vtwin engine on 2013 RTL is a dry sump design so there are two places to drain oil, I know, it's a pain. Also the way they design the frame, it's really really hard to get to the transmission filter. But I've done it twice so far on my Spyder. Just to make it easier I put it up on three car ramps and the job is 40% better.
    I have a 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT and it has semi dry sump engine so I have to drain oil from two drain plugs too. It also has a filter for transmission as well, so two filters. Not as hard as the oil change job on Spyder though.
    Cheers!
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Yes, one is a torx, one an Allen. The torx is on the left. Replace them. An extended Allen socket set helps on the trans filter. Just take your time. It gets easier!
    Replace them?? The LH plug (Torx T45) on the 1330 engine is a very strange plug. It has cylindrical body with 2 O-rings (different colors no less, although they look to be the same size??). I'm thinking that a replacement plug with a standard allen hex might be hard to find?
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)