Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Izumi i am hoping we can make this happen in mid june of 22, i am hoping we can get a meeting location in chi town....date will be announced with a full map of the route and also the return rroute as well...thank you

Spyder Garage

Mid-June start may mean higher temps across the deserts. Early June 2021 trip saw 102* across CO & KS (bearable). Not a fan of 105+ wearing ATGATT. May want to push into late August or early Sept start?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't try to predict the June weather in KS and CO too much. I traveled to Flagstaff and back third week of June last year from eastern KS in order to beat the 4th of July holiday traffic. There can be a hot streak, rain, etc. and then back to normal, hard to predict ahead of time more than a few days. Trip out was dry 80-90 temps, Navajo lands were dry and breezy.

Advantage of June is that you have maximum daylight in case you have to lay in for a few hours. On way back just prior to July 4th weekend there was a streak of cold weather and it snowed on Wolf Creek Pass near Pagosa Springs (highway 160) causing me to go south in NM for return route. Then, coming across SW KS it rained almost the entire route with periodic fog. That was unusual as most rains or thunderstorms are short term. Having grown up in CO and KS June is generally pretty nice but like anywhere there can be unseasonable changes. The desert SW would likely be dry with sometimes high winds and dry brief thunderstorms.

Spyder Garage

Hello, when would you like to start putting a plan together for this trip....

Spyder Garage

KS & CO seem like you guys do not know WHERE RT 66 is!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Route 66

Lots of things are happening to the 'Route 66' .
    Some are not very good. This Covid-19 issue is getting out of hand.
    Hopefully people will make the 'right choice'.
    Welcome to the USA.

Thank You for your Time. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Mid-June start may mean higher temps across the deserts. Early June 2021 trip saw 102* across CO & KS (bearable). Not a fan of 105+ wearing ATGATT. May want to push into late August or early Sept start?
    I rode rode 66 leaving Madison, Wisconsin on May 18. Good weather all the way to California except for dodging tornadoes in Oklahoma and high winds in Texas.
    Not really much to see folks………there are better places to ride.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

If I did this ride I would probably start from the Left coast and ride it east. I say that cus I live in Pahrump NV and could pick 66 up in Laughlin Nevada. That would put my first day thru Oatman, which I have been thru a few times in the past couple years in an RV and car. Just my thoughts.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Sweet looking wing. year?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-24-2022 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Space ....
    2019 F3 Limited Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Since your not doing this ride and a lot of the guys that want to ride are on the east coast. We also know there are plenty of really cool places to ride to, but this is on several guys bucket lists. I would not want to spoil that for any one.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-24-2022 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Sense = since ;-)

Spyder Garage

I'd like to do it also. But I have got to get mine put back together first. Meet up in Chi town and start from Navy pier. The starting point of Route 66. Any time after mid-June is good with me. The weather is a part of the ride. A toss of the dice.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

My plan if I am able to meet up with the group would be route 66 to the end and then up the coast of California and Oregon and then back to Wyoming camping most of the way pulling a Leisure Lite camper.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyo85 View Post
    My plan if I am able to meet up with the group would be route 66 to the end and then up the coast of California and Oregon and then back to Wyoming camping most of the way pulling a Leisure Lite camper.
    If you're not planning on slabbing your way back to Wy, I have a ~2500mi gpx route back to Yellowstone that I haven't taken yet. zig zags up thru Ca, Or, & Wa before going east thru Id. Trip got aborted in NM in 2019 due to multiple heavy snow storms coming from the west and Twister alerts. Had to turn back 4 hrs from GC where it was snowing.

I avoid slabs wherever possible and look for the twisty way to next stop.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 01-27-2022 at 11:59 AM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    If you're not planning on slabbing your way back to Wy, I have a ~2500mi gpx route back to Yellowstone that I haven't taken yet. zig zags up thru Ca, Or, & Wa before going east thru Id. Trip got aborted in NM in 2019 due to multiple heavy snow storms coming from the west and Twister alerts. Had to turn back 4 hrs from GC where it was snowing.

I avoid slabs wherever possible and look for the twisty way to next stop.
    I like the way you travel. My motto is, if I'm on the interstate something is not going according to plan
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

How about someone getting brave and posting dates for this ride to get some feed back. I know for me the middle of June is out , I will be in Iowa for a few days then.

Spyder Garage

I had posted dates and it was the 15 or the 20th of JUNE , with those dates and meeting in chi town i am hoping this gets off the ground.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mosess01 View Post
    Izumi i am hoping we can make this happen in mid june of 22, i am hoping we can get a meeting location in chi town....date will be announced with a full map of the route and also the return rroute as well...thank you
    Chi town? Where?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

From the east coast, it's an 800 mi run to Chicago (2 days).
    Chi to LA is ~2300 mi. Depending on the pace and number of 'photo ops' (7-9 days).
    Bee-line back to east coast is ~2800 mi (~6 days).

So figure 15 to 17 days out from the east coast. Work that block of time into the schedule.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Chi town? Where?
    Appears to be at Grant Park (Art Inst of Chicago?)

Spyder Garage

Ray BJ, i saw about 4 cool places to stay, i think the Palmer house is the best spot and it very close to the art institute. right now its 107 a night. ill check on if they have a parking indoors.
    Last edited by Mosess01; 02-01-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Since some of us are getting on in years, may I suggest those interested in this trip pipe in with vital info on general riding style, needs, endurance, etc?

I'm not committed yet but have done a lot of GPX mapping across the US, this trip included. Anyway,

Ray, 75, central NJ, long time biker, on Spyder 1 1/2 yrs 19k, spirited pace, love twisties, can go pokey for awhile, prefer limited photo stops, can ride 10-12 hrs / day if needed, usual day is ~8 saddle time, prefer American food, not a camper, more of a traveler than a tourist.

Spyder Garage

Hi all, i am committed to this trip, I am a long time biker of 42 years and 7 years on a spyder. Like ray i have ridden across country several times on 2 wheels and just once out to Utah on the spyder.

Carl, 63 northern nj , i am open to what ever type of riding is needed for that particular day. super slab to twisties . love sight seeing and eating good food open to most types. can do long days in the saddle at a spirted pace. I must have A good bed and a glass of wine with my meal.

Spyder Garage

Mosess01 , if you left Chicago on Monday June 20th where would your first night out be . I possibly could meet up with the group that night for the trip to California and motel it the whole trip. RayBJ I would be interested following your route back to Wyoming if you would want some company. I'm John 67 and any speed under the speed limit is OK with me and 6 to 10 hours a day in the seat is OK
    Last edited by wyo85; 03-06-2022 at 04:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

WyO thats a good question i have not looked at a map to determine that at this time, A very good friend of mine has come down with prostate cancer and he is very depressed and i may need to put this trip on hold due assist him...I will confirm what my plans are by may 6th.....

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Prayers for Him

Quote Originally Posted by Mosess01 View Post
    WyO thats a good question i have not looked at a map to determine that at this time, A very good friend of mine has come down with prostate cancer and he is very depressed and i may need to put this trip on hold due assist him...I will confirm what my plans are by may 6th.....
    Sending Prayers for your friend and for you. Times like this are Always very difficult for everyone. . Hopefully all will go well.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue