Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2022 Route 66 Ride

In 2015 I rode solo Route 66. Really enjoyed the ride. I rode pretty hard logging 500 - 600 miles a day with one or two day stop overs at places like the Grand Canyon and L.A. I did this with my 2007 Honda VTX1300S. I am planning to ride Route 66 again in 2022 in a more leisurely fashion with my Spyder RT Limited. I plan to enjoy more of the Routes scenery, small towns, iconic spots, etc. I‘ll make the return via the highways for a faster return. All-in-all I expect to make this about a three week round trip. My starting point will be Rochester, NY and I will travel down to Kentucky for a stop at one of my daughter’s (and grandkids) home, before driving up to Chicago where Route 66 starts. Although weather will be a factor, in 2015 I made the trip the last few days of August and traveled into September. That worked out beautifully. If anyone is thinking about a Route 66 ride, feel free to tag along, or ask any questions about my 2015 experience.

Spyder Garage

ENJOY
    41BF16E2-EB7B-484C-8E0F-AFBFB5AC52EE.jpeg Also from 2015 thanks to Spyderfest. When will get to see the rest would like to get pic where the shield is painted on road. Apparently possibly in several places. Just got to ride & find

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CKelley View Post
    In 2015 I rode solo Route 66. Really enjoyed the ride. I rode pretty hard logging 500 - 600 miles a day with one or two day stop overs at places like the Grand Canyon and L.A. I did this with my 2007 Honda VTX1300S. I am planning to ride Route 66 again in 2022 in a more leisurely fashion with my Spyder RT Limited. I plan to enjoy more of the Routes scenery, small towns, iconic spots, etc. I‘ll make the return via the highways for a faster return. All-in-all I expect to make this about a three week round trip. My starting point will be Rochester, NY and I will travel down to Kentucky for a stop at one of my daughter’s (and grandkids) home, before driving up to Chicago where Route 66 starts. Although weather will be a factor, in 2015 I made the trip the last few days of August and traveled into September. That worked out beautifully. If anyone is thinking about a Route 66 ride, feel free to tag along, or ask any questions about my 2015 experience.
    Humm, interesting.

How much of the original Route 66 were you able to ride? Most of it is now I-40, isn't it?

I am (was) pretty familiar with the original route around Barstow into LA.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

I 40 is parallel to parts of Route 66. You just need to know where to get on. Some States mark it very well. Others you have to know where to go. I had turn-by- turn direction from a company that does tours and sells the navigation. There is a new version out by another company that is getting great reviews. I drove just about all the route free Missouri to The end.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Route 66 Trip

Just curious about when you were thinking about doing this trip. I have thought about doing a trip like this for 10+ years.
    It had been on my bucket list until my health issues.
    Still it is an adventure that seems like a good experience.

Do it and post updates for the rest of us. Kind of a 'Virtual Trip' for us. Thanks again for your time. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    Humm, interesting.

How much of the original Route 66 were you able to ride? Most of it is now I-40, isn't it?

I am (was) pretty familiar with the original route around Barstow into LA.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    I rode it three years ago on my heritage Softail. Most of it was well marked and many times I was the only vehicle on the road for miles. The only problem I had is after riding about 75 miles I came up to a barrier that said road closed and I didn’t really want to go back 75 miles. And then I looked up to my left and there was a path left my motorcycles going up to the interstate. I thought what the hell I’ll give it a try and off I went. Only problem I had the whole way. The food is certainly much better than on the interstate.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I attempted a coast to coast loop at the end of May into June 2019. Only got to within 4 hrs from Grand Canyon and was turned back east due to 2 snow storms - 1 in Grand Canyon and 1 coming in from Ca. AND tornado warnings all around us. We left Childress, Tx at 8am and by noon, they had 2.5in of hail.

I think the late August-Sept window is the right choice.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

When you get West of Amarillo there are long sections of the old Rte 66 pavement that run alongside I 40. They are usually in good repair,so ride them for a spell.There are several diners and museums along the road in Tucumcari that are fun to stop at. Be sure you stop at Cline's Cornors. Yes it is a Tourist Trap but it a fun place and good food. Albuquerque is very interesting. Go to the old town and look around. There is a restaurant in one of the original buildings,good Southwest food as I remember and very good decor. Good plan to take your time ,lots to see along 66. Enjoy your trip.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 11-30-2021 at 11:25 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

CKelly, I am here in NJ. As we get closer to 2022, I would like to ride with you. If the dates align, I can meet you in Chi Town. I would really like to do 66 from beginning to end, my only thing is I would want to be back for SpyderQuest....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-30-2021 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Caps & spaces, ,'s, .'s etc. ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mosess01 View Post
    CKelly, I am here in NJ. As we get closer to 2022, I would like to ride with you. If the dates align, I can meet you in Chi Town. I would really like to do 66 from beginning to end, my only thing is I would want to be back for SpyderQuest....
    Also in NJ and would be interested in this run. Meeting in Chicago sounds like a good spot. Keep us informed as the dates come closer.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a lot of fun. Rt 66 has been on my bucket list for quite a while.
    Perhaps I can join if the stars align. I'm retiring Dec 31 and need something
    to look forward to. I rode a lot of Rt 66 when I was commuting to college in 1970. Minnesota to New Mexico.
    Do you plan to camp or motel?
    How fast and long (hours) do you ride? I have been with too many groups where 2 or more riders becomes a race which is not for me.
    I'm not pokey but like to enjoy the sites and take photos too.
    Count me as a definite maybe. I can meet the group in Chi town.
    Cheers,
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

We just rode a lot of Route 66 the last week of October and 1st week of November. We had the 2019 Spyder RT and our new 2021 GoldWing. Went through Arkansas then over to Amarillo. Lots to see there, needed more time. From there went across to Albuquerque, rode there for 3 days and also went on one of the Hot Air Balloons (must do).
    Then Flagstaff, down to Sedona, Jerome AZ and Phoenix. East of Phoenix and up to Petrified Forest and Painted Desert Nat Park. Then Back across Route 66 all the way back up to Springfield MO. All kinds of Museums and places to stop and spend a lot of time. We did not have enough time put aside to see everything. Will definitely take more time next time.
    Here is a link to the Photo Album for the trip showing most of the places we stopped.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2957384&type=3

20211104_095153.jpg
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

I live in western KY and have been on a lot of 66 in the mid west.
    Are you planning to camp, motel it, or combination of the two? I
    am interest in the south west portion in particular all the way to
    California. I used to drive a truck and have seen all of the LA area
    that I want to. Please keep us posted as the time comes closer.

Spyder Garage

Ray your not far from me, hawthorne nj. I am also considering crazy horse monument if this does gather some steam. time line is the first week of august that will give us time to recover then head up to spyder quest on the second week of sept...

Spyder Garage

Sounds cool

Spyder Garage

If this shapes up into a real ride I might rendezvous to join somewhere along the way and ride part of the route too. I live only about a mile from Route 66 so I know a fair bit about it in this area.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Rt 66 has been on my bucket list for quite a while.
    Perhaps I can join if the stars align. I'm retiring Dec 31 and need something
    to look forward to. I rode a lot of Rt 66 when I was commuting to college in 1970. Minnesota to New Mexico.
    Do you plan to camp or motel?
    How fast and long (hours) do you ride? I have been with too many groups where 2 or more riders becomes a race which is not for me.
    I'm not pokey but like to enjoy the sites and take photos too.
    Count me as a definite maybe. I can meet the group in Chi town.
    Cheers,

David, I'm like you, I don't drive slow, but I ain't in no hurry either. This would be a very interesting ride. For me about 4k miles round trip. I drove in car in 1971 from Michigan to Long Beach. Probably traveled over most of 66. I would have to get in better shape to sit on a ride that long.
    How many other left coast riders out there that maybe looking at this ride to meet up? Didn't mean to take over the thread.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In Arizona, Route 66 runs separate from I40 from exit 139 (Crookton), about 5 miles west of Ash Fork, through Seligman, then all the way to Kingman.
    Seligman is very much a tourist stop. Westside Lilos has good food.
    Peach Springs (Radiator Springs in the movie "cars") has a restaurant, if the tribe has re-opened, fuel, market & hotel.
    For 20 years, until spring this year, we had a ranch in the mountains south of exit 139 and would take 66 for a more relaxing trip and/or to take grandkids to Keepers of the Wild in Valentine.

Oatman is a good ride, just be careful of the burros.

AZ Route 66.jpg

Late Aug through Sep should be good for Arizona, although Flagstaff can have snow any month (lived there mid nineties)
    July-August is monsoon season.
    Snow is typical in Flagstaff December-April.
    The attached March 2021 photo is of our last day at the ranch (5,400 feet elevation).

Sunrise 16 Mar 2021.jpg
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 12-07-2021 at 12:54 PM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

What is a burro....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mosess01 View Post
    What is a burro....
    A donkey.

They can be a real problem on the roads at night in some areas! . Here in Oz, we have some places where the feral donkeys are almost as thick as the kangaroos on the roads, especially at dawn and dusk; and in the numbers they reach fairly quickly in a good season, they can really devastate fences, crops, dams, water troughs & sources, the native vegetation, & cause a lot of erosion PDQ too!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

A photo to add to Peter's reply
    3-Lee Canyon burro 16 Oct 2017.jpg
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

After I sent this message I was like "dummy you know what a burro is!" Anyway, what's the next step in making this trip a reality? From the many posts there is enough interest.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-09-2021 at 04:45 PM. Reason: mnay = many ;-)

Spyder Garage

No harm. At least you didn't ask if it was a large burrito!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    No harm. At least you didn't ask if it was a large burrito!
    Yeah, back when you first put up post #19 Doc, I must admit that 'burrito' was what I 'saw' first!!

But in my defence, I have been to places where you really hadta watch out for the local burritos - they could make your life a miserable hell for weeks! Thankfully, that sorta burrito isn't really all that common, so I sincerely hope that any of you who make this Route 66 trip (colour me jealous btw!) don't find any of those. As for the burro's, seeing them is fine, just so long as you don't run into any!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!