Spyder Garage

Default Handicap Placards - What is the actual benefit?

I didn't want to take away from the post that is now in the General Forum, which is why I placed it here.

Now, this is just a question from someone with no handicaps, except maybe my brain. Where I live in an apartment complex, there are 4 handicap parking spots. But, these spots do not place the person any closer to their apartment, but there is an easy access spot next to where the vehicle parks for ease of w/c and walker access, which I very seldom see used in that manner. But, let's say when you go to a Target, Walmart, Home Dept etc, these spots will put you a little closer to the store entrance. But, once in the store you have to still walk around the store, and depending how long you are shopping you may do a lot of walking. What is the actual benefit to you? Yes, I know you'll save the actual walking distance to the front door, and at that point you may find an electric cart. I ask b/c not everyone who uses a handicap spot gets on an electric cart while in the store. I guess I'm just curious b/c there are a few people who ride their m/c's to the gym, and are amputees, and they park anywhere; I know, they are probably a lot younger. Then, there are one or two who had strokes, and they have to be assisted with their walking, and that is easy to understand; one of them I adjusted his cane b/c he was having a hard time, even walking with the assist of one, and I could see the cane wasn't adjusted correctly for his height.

Remember, this is just a question.

Spyder Garage

Here in Oz, you can qualify for a Handicap Placard if your Doctor certifies that you have mobility or other difficulties that make it impossible or significantly more difficult for you to negotiate 200 metres than it would be for an 'able bodied' person. In my case, there are days when I'm hard pressed to 'walk upright' for 10 metres let alone 200! And very few places here in Oz provide any form of 'wheeled assistance' or otherwise for mobility impared cutomers &/or visitors - a few, like Museums & Art Galleries might have loan chairs, but anywhere else - nup!

On my better days, I can usually 'walk' a total of about 200 metres all up, which effectively means that unless there is a vacant Handicap Parking spot that is within range such that I can park, get into the venue, do all I need to, and then get back to my vehicle within that 200 metre range, I just can't go - or I hafta arrange to go with an assistant and to take my own wheelchair....

So those Handicap Parking spots that are close to venue doors &/or facilities mean that I can still go some places; while those Handicap Parking spaces that are much more than 50 metres away from the particular shop/venue/facility are of no benefit to me - ever!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-01-2021 at 08:28 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

There are some stores I will not shop in because of the difficulty in getting around. WalMart is an example. If there is no electric cart available, I will leave the store. Same with Publix, Kroger, Lowe’s, etc. I have a hard enough time getting from the sometimes inconveniently placed handicaps spots to the store’s interior without tackling the hardships therein.
    Then there are the hassles with drivers who believe that bikes should not park in handicap spaces even though they possess a handicap tag.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

My DW got a handy cap mirror hanger base of her ALS related health decline. We where only able to find a open handy cap parking spot about 1 out of 5 or 6 tries. Although the hanger and license plates have a wheelchair on them, only a small percentage appear he be at an actual wheelchair stage/need. My feeling is that maybe to many doctors sign off on the required paper work, which hurts those that really have a need. I do know that doing a wheelchair to vehicle transfer or the other way around requires a little extra space on that side of the vehicle. I did this with my mother 20 years ago and now my with DW.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Ditto what Peter Aawen said. Outwardly, I appear OK (not great) but I have a heart that isn't pumping like it should and my stamina is super low. Like Peter, walking any distance is an effort and in larger stores, I need an electric scooter/cart. So having a HC placard is a blessing from my doctor.
    Funny thing though....I can ride my F3L all day like a teen who stole it. I'm good with that. Gotta look at the bright side of life.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Interesting how WalMart comes up. Here in NW AR, it is the go to place for 90% of the population and more. Finding a HC spot to park in is a joke. Their twenty or so mobility carts are a joke to get. And sometimes, half of them are out of charge. Do they plug them in when finished......

When using our car, I have the backup wheelchair with me. The chair gets used more than mobility carts which at other stores are few and far between. Since the pandemic started, March/2020 I have not even been to WalMart. Amazon has become my friend.

My walking ability has deteriorated in the last year. The Vulcan 900 is no more. Still thankful I can get aboard the Spyder. Going to Hot Springs rally, cannot bring a wheelchair on the Spyder. Did manage to get a first floor room...now will see if I can park near it. Going to check in the next couple days if I can rent a wheelchair for use at the rally. If not, then the rally days are done for me also.

I have become very jaded over the subject. Never used my HC sticker as a matter of convenience. I would rather be able to walk the distance rather than "hope" I can park close and make it through the store.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Ditto what Peter Aawen said. Outwardly, I appear OK (not great) but I have a heart that isn't pumping like it should and my stamina is super low. Like Peter, walking any distance is an effort and in larger stores, I need an electric scooter/cart. So having a HC placard is a blessing from my doctor.
    Funny thing though....I can ride my F3L all day like a teen who stole it. I'm good with that. Gotta look at the bright side of life.
    and those are also some of my issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

Going to Hot Springs rally, cannot bring a wheelchair on the Spyder. Did manage to get a first floor room...now will see if I can park near it. Going to check in the next couple days if I can rent a wheelchair for use at the rally. If not, then the rally days are done for me also.
    Looks like you are about 3 hours north of the rally. If it will fit in a 19" high by 37" wide space I will gladly bring the trailer and pick it up and drop it off for you.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Looks like you are about 3 hours north of the rally. If it will fit in a 19" high by 37" wide space I will gladly bring the trailer and pick it up and drop it off for you.
    PM sent...and thanks so much.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To he!! with the HC parking. I just ride my spyder into the store and pick out what I want. It's the checkout process where they get real pi$$y about my powered wheelchair. I'm joking of course. However, I don't expect the world to change just for me because I've grown older have an HC issue. It's nice that there are exceptions for me and others like me, and I certainly appreciate that, but I don't believe I should burden the rest of the world with what overcomes me because of age. In the town near where I live and shop, two stupid HC (adam henrys) fought to the death over an HC parking spot. Yep, the loser died and the winner was charged with homicide. The older we get the more understand we should become, not the more demanding.

Spyder Garage

Although people say that I look in good shape, looks can be deceiving. I have two artificial knees and a pacemaker that keeps my heart beating, if stops so does my heart. I limp when I walk and it's painful walking. Lots of people don't understand why a person needs it.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The one and only benefit of the handicapped hanger or license plates is.....
    you can park almost any place, you can park in the close up handicapped parking spots,
    you DO NOT have to pay for parking at a parking spot with a parking meter, if you are parking
    in a spot with a time limit, you do not have to worry time limits do not apply to a vehicle with
    handicapped plates or handicapped hanger.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNBK View Post
    Although people say that I look in good shape, looks can be deceiving. I have two artificial knees and a pacemaker that keeps my heart beating,
    So you had had a suspension upgrade and an ignition reflash???
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Yeah but gotta be careful about the ignition cause the node in the ventricle doesn't fire and send the signal for the rest of the heart to keep beating.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNBK View Post
    Although people say that I look in good shape, looks can be deceiving. I have two artificial knees and a pacemaker that keeps my heart beating, if stops so does my heart. I limp when I walk and it's painful walking. Lots of people don't understand why a person needs it.
    After the knee replacements, are you saying you still had pain, and limping more than 6-8 weeks post surgery? You don't need to answer that. I worked in inpatient and outpatient physical therapy. I guess I'm just one of those people that don't understand. I, however, do understand the need for handicap parking.

Spyder Garage

Not all disabilities require the use of a wheelchair (Breathing issues etc). They really need to change the placard, to a more universal symbol and have one with a wheelchair for those that need the aid of a wheelchair so they can be the only ones that use the large/van accessible spots.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post

Where I live in an apartment complex, there are 4 handicap parking spots. But, these spots do not place the person any closer to their apartment, but there is an easy access spot next to where the vehicle parks for ease of w/c and walker access, which I very seldom see used in that manner.

But, once in the store you have to still walk around the store, and depending how long you are shopping you may do a lot of walking. What is the actual benefit to you?

I ask b/c not everyone who uses a handicap spot gets on an electric cart while in the store. I guess I'm just curious b/c there are a few people who ride their m/c's to the gym, and are amputees, and they park anywhere; I know, they are probably a lot younger.

Remember, this is just a question.
    Hopefully I can enlighten your curiosity a bit on this subject. I am a 62 year old left leg amputee, have been since 2001.

The extra spacing adjoined next to the HC spots at your Apt. Complex, even though possibly you may have never viewed being used with wheelchairs, walkers, etc, most people, and depending on their disability, just need the extra space for their vehicle door being fully open to manipulate themselves in or out of the vehicle. Myself being a Left Leg amputee this is my concern when parking between cars, and having enough room to open my door fully to get out, without having to remove my leg, which I have had to do on a few occasions when being blocked in on my drivers side.. As a passenger in a car, I have no problem. I get in and out with ease.

As for shopping, I will, at times, utilize a HC spot or I will walk the extra steps getting into the store, depending on my pain tolerance on that day, and at times park away from other vehicles, if I feel like walking the extra distance. Once inside though I grab a cart to push. It helps for stability and relieves a bit of the weight bearing while I walk. Makes shopping rather a pleasant trip. Everyone's pain tolerance is difference. Some days good, some not so. When you are used to living with some sort of daily pain, the pain becomes second nature. You live with, and, deal with it. Best way to put it.

Unless I am wearing shorts, people have no clue I have an artificial leg. I have mastered my walking to perfection over the years of wearing it. Although I still get called out, dirty looks, etc., if I park in a HC spot by someone who just doesn't see my leg, especially if I'm wearing long pants.

In conclusion, I feel having an HC Placard is beneficial and subjectional for many folks who truly need it. Just have to see the need through their eyes. Not all disabilities are visible.

That's my 2 cents worth. Thanks for listening.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Briorick,

Before I completely retired, I was a PT, and I can say that when a patient had the 'bring it on' attitude, like you appear to have, it made my day very, very rewarding. Thank you.

In fact, thank you all for responding.

Just in case someone was wondering if I watch people that park in handicap spots, I actually watch everybody walking whether from a handicap spot or not. Sometimes it is just a quick glance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like many other programs in our society created with the best of intentions, the ADA is not perfect and is designed to address a problem in the broadest way possible. Any given instance may not make much sense, but overall the program has benefitted many within a previously ignored or maligned community of people with physical disabilities I believe.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Briorick,

Before I completely retired, I was a PT, and I can say that when a patient had the 'bring it on' attitude, like you appear to have, it made my day very, very rewarding. Thank you.

Thanks for the kind words. Prior to my Amputation, over the years, I had visited countless PT's. I developed a great Camaraderie with them all. Shared many great laughs, and "Ouchie" moments with them. Especially Hydro-Therapy. The worst was "packing and debridement" , but the best laughs. It was either laugh or cry!
    I always felt my positivity, and bringing it on, was my best healer.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

"Just have to see the need through their eyes. Not all disabilities are visible."
    Briorick that ability is unfortunately becoming more and more rare in our society these days. Thank you for bringing it to mind.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm with you Briorick. Fortunately for me, I still have my left leg and I'm unwilling at this point to give it up. PT twice a week now for I don't know how long. As long as I can ride, walk, and work, I'm good for now. Yep, like you, I sometimes need the HC spots, and sometimes I don't. And the shopping carts often make the shopping a pleasant experience. Keep up the good attitude and pass it around, you're a good example of what some others need to adhere to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I'm with you Briorick. Fortunately for me, I still have my left leg and I'm unwilling at this point to give it up. PT twice a week now for I don't know how long. As long as I can ride, walk, and work, I'm good for now. Yep, like you, I sometimes need the HC spots, and sometimes I don't. And the shopping carts often make the shopping a pleasant experience. Keep up the good attitude and pass it around, you're a good example of what some others need to adhere to.
    Thanks 2dogs for your inspiring words.

My motto: I try and maintain a positive outlook regardless of the situation at hand. Most often when I approach another disabled person ( generally amputees more often than not ) I always make it a point to greet and acknowledge them. So many times they try their best to be low keyed in public, and not be noticed because of some peoples reactions to them, that it makes them uncomfortable wanting to approach anyone. Not all, but some.

Myself, being a people person, and being the outgoing type that I am, understand this feeling totally. Been there, done that, felt that way.....now over it, and enjoying life. Usually asking them if they want to race is a great conversation starter.

After engaging in conversation, and sometimes sharing our stories, it always seems we both end up feeling pretty darn good, enjoyed a few laughs and are on our separate ways thereafter.

Regarding your leg health situation, wishing you all the best with whatever your future holds for you.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White