Thread: Low Battery?

Spyder Garage

Default Low Battery?

I only have 3K miles on my 2015 F3. Last summer my Spyder started fine, I drove about 2 miles and noticed my gear number read E and I had several warning lights on the dash. Went to turn around to go home, engine died. Waited a few minutes and it started again with no errors. Called dealer, they said battery was low. Changed battery and all OK. At that point I bought a battery tender which was on all winter. I have ridden a few times this spring and now the same thing is happening. Gear reads E, numerous errors coming across dash...transmission problem, electronic error, DSS...engine choked out when it tried to shift down to stop. I got home finally and checked for fault codes, it said no active fault codes. Bought new battery (where I bought battery they said old one was still good) and seems fine. I thought the battery tender would keep it in good shape. I'm leary going very far from home with this coming out of no where. Any thoughts?

Spyder Garage

If the battery is load testing fine, then you may want to go over your terminal connections, both ends of your ground wire should be clean and shiny!! And put some star washers on the battery connections. Make sure when you take the ground to frame connection apart the frame side is clean and free of paint! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Mikey is right on the money, clean the battery cables/ connections, and you should be good to go, starwasher do the trick so they don't rattle loose...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If the battery is load testing fine, then you may want to go over your terminal connections, both ends of your ground wire should be clean and shiny!! And put some star washers on the battery connections. Make sure when you take the ground to frame connection apart the frame side is clean and free of paint! Good luck
    + 2 on the Star washers ..... " Gear Position Sensor " ( GPS ) should be OK with such a low mileage spyder .... " no active fault codes " .... doesn't mean they weren't logged into the computer when you checked .... Every error that occurs is logged into the computer, a good Tech can find them using " BUDS "..... I had an issue with my " Paddle shifter - SE 5 trans. " that the dealer Tech couldn't find .... At SpyderFest 2014 a BRP Tech found 240 error codes logged in !!! .. The Dealer Tech contacted the BRP Tech and all was solved ( under warranty )..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

and on your first post. To bad it is an issue post.

Advice above good. Get battery to a full charge. Make sure the connections are tight, and employ the use of star washers to keep them that way. That should do the job. If not, you may need to do a load test and check out the battery further.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Not all battery tenders are created equal. Some of the el cheapo battery tenders don't work well or even worse can drain the battery. That happened to me years ago. The battery tender worked for several years and then over the course of a winter didn't work and actually drained the battery. There was no outward sign the tender was malfunctioning, it just was, and it ruined a brand new battery.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice. I added star washers to my battery terminals and made sure they were clean. However, I have no idea where or how to get to the ground terminals. Rode yesterday and all went well but would like to take care of any possible problems.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PamT View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I added star washers to my battery terminals and made sure they were clean. However, I have no idea where or how to get to the ground terminals. Rode yesterday and all went well but would like to take care of any possible problems.
    I don't think you should be concerned about the frame to ground terminals. They are never touched during any routine maintenance or accessory install.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PamT View Post
    I only have 3K miles on my 2015 F3. Last summer my Spyder started fine, I drove about 2 miles and noticed my gear number read E and I had several warning lights on the dash. Went to turn around to go home, engine died. Waited a few minutes and it started again with no errors. Called dealer, they said battery was low. Changed battery and all OK. At that point I bought a battery tender which was on all winter. I have ridden a few times this spring and now the same thing is happening. Gear reads E, numerous errors coming across dash...transmission problem, electronic error, DSS...engine choked out when it tried to shift down to stop. I got home finally and checked for fault codes, it said no active fault codes. Bought new battery (where I bought battery they said old one was still good) and seems fine. I thought the battery tender would keep it in good shape. I'm leary going very far from home with this coming out of no where. Any thoughts?
    There is a wide range of quality and specs on battery tenders. Which one do you have?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I don't think you should be concerned about the frame to ground terminals. They are never touched during any routine maintenance or accessory install.
    But the 'earth/frame ends' can be moved/loosened simply by removing & replacing the battery; or by doing anything else in the area around wherever they are bolted!

A while back, after replacing the battery some time earlier, I had DPS issues develop over time on my Spyder - issues that were ultimately found to be caused by the loose earth bolt on the other end of the cable - but no one had been anywhere near it, it was only the movement of the cable required to replace the battery that was apparently enough to juuust loosen the bolt on the far end, and then the vibrations of ryding did the rest over the next 100 miles or so.... It seems that while BRP might use a heap of yellow locktite in some places that seemingly don't really need or warrant anywhere near that much, they then install NO 'anti-loosen' features in some places that REALLY DO warrant such protection!!

So PamT, I'd STRONGLY SUGGEST that you check & if necessary fit star washers to BOTH ENDS of your battery cables - the battery ends on the terminals, AND the frame/earth ends too! It's easy enough to find the earth points, simply follow the cable from the battery terminals until you find where they are bolted to the frame, then ensure the terminals are tight on the cable and they bolt securely with a suitable locking/contact washer onto the clean, bare metal of the frame.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-02-2021 at 07:10 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    But the 'earth/frame ends' can be moved/loosened simply by removing & replacing the battery; or by doing anything else in the area around wherever they are bolted!

A while back, after replacing the battery some time earlier, I had DPS issues develop over time on my Spyder - issues that were ultimately found to be caused by the loose earth bolt on the other end of the cable - but no one had been anywhere near it, it was only the movement of the cable required to replace the battery that was apparently enough to juuust loosen the bolt on the far end, and then the vibrations of ryding did the rest over the next 100 miles or so.... It seems that while BRP might use a heap of yellow locktite in some places that seemingly don't really need or warrant anywhere near that much, they then install NO 'anti-loosen' features in some places that REALLY DO warrant such protection!!

So PamT, I'd STRONGLY SUGGEST that you check & if necessary fit star washers to BOTH ENDS of your battery cables - the battery ends on the terminals, AND the frame/earth ends too! It's easy enough to find the earth points, simply follow the cable from the battery terminals until you find where they are bolted to the frame, then ensure the terminals are tight on the cable and they bolt securely with a suitable locking/contact washer onto the clean, bare metal of the frame.
    .... STAR washers are your friends ..... but BRP doesn't believe that so they don't use them ..... I would and do ..... Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Star Washers

+ 1 on the Star Washers. It's the only way to get good electrical connections for your Spyder. .....

Good Luck with your Mission.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue