Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RTS ACS Re-calibration without BUDS?

Lost the calibration of the ACS during a tire change. Is it possible to reset the ACS without a Buds computer?

Spyder Garage

My apology, I don't understand your statement of the problem or your question about how to reset the ACS. In the various tire changes my Spyder has undergone the technician has not had once to connect the machine to B.U.D.S. to do anything after replacing the tire. All he has ever done is verify the belt tension with a Gates meter. What has happened that the Spyder "lost" the calibration of the ACS. After the tire was changed and the wheel replaced, did you start the engine, release the parking brake, put the Spyder in gear and press the ACS switch, either soft or hard to see what the digital gauge read? If so what did it read? Did you change the setting and give the compressor/system the time to react to the change?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Did you do the tire change yourself? Did you undo the linkage on the ride height sensor?
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

If the Height Control Arm wasn't disconnected during the tire removal, and the swing arm was let hang without any shock or other 'droop restraint', it is possible that the Height Sensor Bracket was bent during that process, and that'll certainly mess with your ACS Calibration! (Do you really need to ask me how I know this is possible?? )

But you shouldn't need BUDS to 'reset' it, simply bending the Height Sensor Bracket back into its correct position and ensuring the Height Control Arm and the Sector Arm on the Sensor move smoothly thru their correct range of motion in alignment to each other should resolve any height control problems you may be having as a result of the mis-aligned bracketry &/or arms.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Chuck. It is typical for the sensor to be disconnected during a tire change. It allows the swing arm to drop all the way down without damaging the sensor. Did many of these. You do not simply lose calibration of the sensor on a tire change. That’s an incorrect diagnosis. You can, however, damage it internally if you don’t disconnect it. A calibration won’t fix that. You can also put the linkage back together backwards. The sensor arm should be pointing to the rear.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

The sensor was disconnected during the tire change. When reconnected after the tire change the display on the dash came up saying manual and the system will not hold air. From what I've read I assumed the sensor was moved during the tire change and lost calibration. I've read that once calibration is lost the only way to reset it is with a buds computer. Hoping I'm wrong and there is another way to reset it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuck15 View Post
    .... When reconnected after the tire change the display on the dash came up saying manual and the system will not hold air. .....
    If the sensor has moved or cycled at all while the height rod wasn't connected, that's the message you get. So I'd just connect it all back up; maybe check the air-bag pressure (& if it's any lower than about 10 psi or so I'd use a manual inflator add a touch of air to bring it up to saay 40 psi or so); then go for a gentle ryde. Once the sensor is reconnected and cycled a few times, there's a good chance your 'Manual' warning will disappear - it's really only telling you the computer doesn't know what's going on so manually check it out &/or add some air manually until the pressurising system has enough pressure to work out whatever it is it needs to do to bring it all back on-line properly. It could even just be that there's not enough bag pressure in there to hold the 'Non-Return Valve closed (or is that open?! ) so all you need is enough air pressure in there to let the system know if it has to Add some air, or if it should Bleed some air.

Regardless, make sure you've connected the height sensor & it's in the correct orientation, add some air to the air bag manually, then go for a ryde & see what happens. Most times, that'll fix what ails your ACS when you get that 'Manual' warning.... Well, unless the compressor was running continuously beforehand, &/or one of the ACS fuses is blown; or you've pulled the air lines out of the air bag or valve; or .....

However, from what you've told us, I really can't see how the 'computer record' OR the actual calibration of the ACS could have been lost, so I really doubt you need BUDS - it's waaayyy more likely that your ACS is just a tad confused & needs a little kick (probably just by manually adding some air! ) to work out what's going on! Sure, it could be something more significant, but I really dounpbt it! I can't tell you how many times I've seen that 'Manual' warning, it's been so many (I do a LOT of miles & the standard ACS is quite problematic... ) and apart from the minor panic the very first time I saw it &/or the very few instances of actual physical failure in some component, EVERY SINGLE TIME SINCE it has been resolved either by simply ignoring it & ryding on, when it fixes itself within a few hundred metres; or failing that, it's sorted just by adding a few psi of air manually!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-30-2021 at 07:40 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!