Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Spyder Garage

Now get on it and ride it!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Well, yes SIR............
    Actually , We already have --- out to breakfast and some Lottery tickets. Had to fix the things the dealer wrench screwed up, Light connection and horn wires both hooked to the positive terminal of the battery. All fixed and tested this afternoon.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I didn't read the question as his bike is over heating, it said the fan runs a lot. Why wouldn't the fan run when needed after it reached max temp to have the fan turn on. And why would it running scare me. So I went out and had a test trip on Our 2012 RTL, 40 miles one way from the house. First some basic info to hope to follow along. I will watching the movement of the temp gauge needle and at what point does the fan comes on. The temp gauge is in 4 parts 1/4 with those parts in half 1/8 1/16...

about 85 deg out, start 3 miles from Interstate, running on cruise of 70mph, 15 miles than take right hand loop onto another 15 mile interstate once again set cruise at 70, exit speed 35 for about 3 miles. STOP
    Ok the fan I would have guessed never came on at hiwy speed. The needle was resting at a little more than say 7/16 !. Than pulling into drink stop it was already at 1/2 or maybe 9/16 no fan, yet. By the time I got helmet off and got off the fan was running. I walked into 7-11 got drink and returned maybe three minutes Fan running. maybe three minutes to drink my coke and headed back home. When I pulled out the gauge was still resting at @ 9/16. driving the three three miles back to interstate all lights green so I pulled over and NO FAN but in about 30 sec it started, my return trip was about 30 miles set at 70 and those last 3 miles until home.
    On the exit of the 30 miles the needle stated at about 7/16 until I exited the interstate, the temp jumped up to 1/2 and just a 1/4 mile away another light had the gauge at near 9/16 no fan. I pulled into drive way and didn't have my helmet off and fan was running....
    I do have my own question about temp gauge that Ive always had, I do some cold weather rides to also and I have seen my gauge after some 30 miles at 70mph read about 2/16 or 3/16.
    2012 , java

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerrydonna View Post
    I didn't read the question as his bike is over heating, it said the fan runs a lot. Why wouldn't the fan run when needed after it reached max temp to have the fan turn on. And why would it running scare me. So I went out and had a test trip on Our 2012 RTL, 40 miles one way from the house. First some basic info to hope to follow along. I will watching the movement of the temp gauge needle and at what point does the fan comes on. The temp gauge is in 4 parts 1/4 with those parts in half 1/8 1/16...

about 85 deg out, start 3 miles from Interstate, running on cruise of 70mph, 15 miles than take right hand loop onto another 15 mile interstate once again set cruise at 70, exit speed 35 for about 3 miles. STOP
    Ok the fan I would have guessed never came on at hiwy speed. The needle was resting at a little more than say 7/16 !. Than pulling into drink stop it was already at 1/2 or maybe 9/16 no fan, yet. By the time I got helmet off and got off the fan was running. I walked into 7-11 got drink and returned maybe three minutes Fan running. maybe three minutes to drink my coke and headed back home. When I pulled out the gauge was still resting at @ 9/16. driving the three three miles back to interstate all lights green so I pulled over and NO FAN but in about 30 sec it started, my return trip was about 30 miles set at 70 and those last 3 miles until home.
    On the exit of the 30 miles the needle stated at about 7/16 until I exited the interstate, the temp jumped up to 1/2 and just a 1/4 mile away another light had the gauge at near 9/16 no fan. I pulled into drive way and didn't have my helmet off and fan was running....
    I do have my own question about temp gauge that Ive always had, I do some cold weather rides to also and I have seen my gauge after some 30 miles at 70mph read about 2/16 or 3/16.
    If I was you I would start your own thread and see what the group may suggest! By coming into the end of this post you may not get the help you are looking for!!! Good Luck!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-03-2021 at 07:31 PM. Reason: . .
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    . Had to fix the things the dealer wrench screwed up, Light connection and horn wires both hooked to the positive terminal of the battery. All fixed and tested this afternoon. Lew L
    Now you're back from your Oregon trip without experiencing any issues, what do you conclude about the cause of the original concern of the bike running hot causing the fans to run excessively?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Now you're back from your Oregon trip without experiencing any issues, what do you conclude about the cause of the original concern of the bike running hot causing the fans to run excessively?
    Hi Pete,
    There was absolutely no overheating problems on the 1400 miles we traveled. An air bag problem though, which I'm working on now. As stated much, much earlier in this thread, I believe the original overheating was caused by a coolant pump failure where a spring guide ( originally located behind the thermostat) somehow came loose. It fell out as I removed the coolant pump. I believe it partially blocked a passage way in the pump causing the fans to run a lot.

The replacement pump I purchased had an internal/external flaw as delivered and was replaced by the dealer, but I still paid labor of course.
    Now I just need to get the air bag sussed out and then it will be ready for a new rear tire. Does it ever end?????

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since replacing my shocks I don't need the air suspension. The rear shock does all the work. Compressor never turns on anymore. Don't have to worry about leaks or bag issues. Well good luck �� and good to hear the pump solved your original problem.

Spyder Garage

Also, can't remember if you have a Monster ECU flash? If so, they likely dropped the fan temp down 10*. That would make the fan cycle more often. Just a thought..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue