Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I meant Spyders with belt drives, not any machines with belt drives. Sorry.

Do we yet know which model years are afflicted and why? Or, is it just one of those random quality control issues with parts or assembly?
    I am not of the opinion it is a quality issue. Simply, something not expected but learned with actual miles on Spyders. While everyone always hopes they bought a perfect vehicle, history in many industries demonstrates that as the vehicles, under many owners, see actual miles of use, concerns can arise.

Still my best suggestion is accomplish the actions needed for better longevity, vs avoiding and contending with the possibility of worse issues later.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    pmk where is that in the service manual SIR

The same page that states you are not allowed to select and manually downshift on account of drive pulley failure.

Consider what you are suggesting. Do nothing, but do not downshift. Lets compare this to an airliner. Would you suggest the aircraft you fly on the mechanics should ignore concerns because they are not published in a manual but are staring them in the face?

Spyder Garage

UtahPete,
    I have a 2014 RT-S with manual shift. I take a look at least once a month at my front sprocket by driving the front wheel on the left side up on a 2 x 6 and peeping underneath and up by the left footpeg using a flashlight. I am able to see the sprocket just fine and have yet to see any "red dust". I DO sometimes downshift before braking, but not drastically. So far, so good! Good luck with both of yours!
    2014 RT-S SM6 , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSpyder View Post
    UtahPete,
    I have a 2014 RT-S with manual shift. I take a look at least once a month at my front sprocket by driving the front wheel on the left side up on a 2 x 6 and peeping underneath and up by the left footpeg using a flashlight. I am able to see the sprocket just fine and have yet to see any "red dust". I DO sometimes downshift before braking, but not drastically. So far, so good! Good luck with both of yours!
    Thanks! I appreciate that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default No Red Dust

Just checked mine after 8000 miles and no red dust.
    Will check it in a year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 F3 Spyder Limited SE6
    2005 Honda ST1300 ABS

Spyder Garage

While on the topic of front sprockets...I did a rear tire change and with the belt off the rear sprocket I could rotate with the belt the front sprocket like 45 degrees before it stopped....I don't remember for sure but I believe it was in first gear...is that normal? Parking brake was off (not that that matters)..bike in the air...I couldn't access the front sprocket for wobble but have no real concerns for that and did not see any red dust
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    While on the topic of front sprockets...I did a rear tire change and with the belt off the rear sprocket I could rotate with the belt the front sprocket like 45 degrees before it stopped....I don't remember for sure but I believe it was in first gear...is that normal? Parking brake was off (not that that matters)..bike in the air...I couldn't access the front sprocket for wobble but have no real concerns for that and did not see any red dust
    Is this on the 2012 RTL, with an SE5 gearbox? Or on the 2014 RTS, probably with an SE6 gearbox??

In either case, if it's an SE gearbox then Yes, since your clutch is NOT engaged with the engine off/no revs for the SE5's (or engine off/no oil pressure for the SE6's) then you will be able to rotate the front sprocket freely until you get some resistance from the constant mesh gearbox internals. . And even then, you should still be able to rotate the front sprocket, only there'll probably be a little extra resistance because you're also turning at least the output side of the gears as well as just the sprocket & output shaft!

So what you're describing is fine. Just get out there & Ryde More, Worry Less!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Excellent-just the nudge I needed
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White