Spyder Garage

Default Windshield damage ??

My windshield has a weird rainbow line pattern on it as i look through it with the sun at my back.
    If you look through it from front of bike its not visible. It almost looks sand blasted. I have a pic but site says its to large. Has anyone seen this and is there anyway to repair it or is it food for the fishes
    Thanks,
    Chris

Spyder Garage

Sounds to me, you've been cleaning it a lot and got some scratches in it!! If it's more than you can stand, I say it toast!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Couple things to suggest. First, it might be a good time to chop the windscreen. That way you wouldn't have to look through it. Second, if you need a new/different windscreen, I have quite a few you could choose from. I seem to be collecting them.

Spyder Garage

Light refracting through or reflecting off of thin film coatings can produce a spectrum of light, just like a rainbow. I'm sure you've seen a similar effect with sunlight reflecting off of a puddle with an oil slick. Commonly seen after rain on the road.

Get some plexi-glass restorer and polish the shield then clean it with isopropyl alcohol to remove any film. That may improve the transparency.

Edit: Just as a note, coatings and waxes can cause this effect.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Light refracting through or reflecting off of thin film coatings can produce a spectrum of light, just like a rainbow. I'm sure you've seen a similar effect with sunlight reflecting off of a puddle with an oil slick. Commonly seen after rain on the road.

Get some plexi-glass restorer and polish the shield then clean it with isopropyl alcohol to remove any film. That may improve the transparency.

Edit: Just as a note, coatings and waxes can cause this effect.
    " isopropyl alcohol " .... ??? .... I wouldn't .....jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " isopropyl alcohol " .... ??? .... I wouldn't .....jmho .... Mike
    I just went out and cleaned one of my retired/spare windscreens with 50% isopropyl with no deleterious effects whatsoever. What do you suggest to remove chemical films? Very few things are milder then alcohol.

Edit: After some research, I found an industry flyer that included isopropyl alcohol in it's recommended cleaners/disinfector for acrylic and polycarbonate.

However: Acrylic that has been 'flame polished' will craze when exposed to isopropyl. Flame polishing degrades the acrylic.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just went out and cleaned one of my retired/spare windscreens with 50% isopropyl with no deleterious effects whatsoever. What do you suggest to remove chemical films? Very few things are milder then alcohol.
    Glad to hear you had no problems. Personally I like liquid detergents with or without water .... The problem with removing various chemicals, is when they are on/in a material that is Absorbent .... I suppose if Alcohol is on only BRIEFLY it may not do any harm ....however on hard surfaces I like detergent ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Transam87020 View Post
    My windshield has a weird rainbow line pattern on it as i look through it with the sun at my back.
    If you look through it from front of bike its not visible. It almost looks sand blasted. I have a pic but site says its to large. Has anyone seen this and is there anyway to repair it or is it food for the fishes
    Thanks,
    Chris
    I just noticed that on mine. Fortunately, it is at the bottom, well below my normal line of sight.

Spyder Garage

Polaroid sunglasses, can also make the windscreen look like a rainbow, same as you drive behind a cager, with a tempered backwindow, you see the marks where the heat was applied to harden the glass.
    the sun increases this effect, I think cleaning doesn't do the trick, but I don't have a solution either...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The windshields are either acrylic or polycarbonate...plastic. I've not heard of a motorcycle windshield maker recommending anything but soapy water and a soft cloth to clean it. Then, something like All-Clear to polish it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you look through it from front of bike its not visible. It almost looks sand blasted. I have a pic but site says its to large. Has anyone seen this and is there anyway to repair it or is it food for the fishes. Thanks, Chris
    How old is it and how have you been cleaning it? You're not giving us much to go on.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I’ve had this happen twice, once with a pair of glasses and once with a windshield. Both are made from composite material.It was due to faulty forming of both during the manufacturing process, thus the rainbow affect.

Spyder Garage

If you find you would like to replace the windshield I recommend an F4Custom.
    I had one on my Gold Wing and loved it. This is right off of their website and I personally vouch for every claim listed.
    Often it only took water and paper towels to clean the shield. Yes... paper towels...will not scratch the shield.
    When it comes time to replace the shield on my ‘21 RTL I will definitely buy another F4. Pricey but worth it.

https://f4customs.com/

UPGRADE YOUR MOTORCYCLE'S WINDSHIELD
    High Optics Polycarbonate
    Fantastic Scratch Resistance
    Great Rain Shedding
    Impact Resistance.
    Chemically Sealed. Cleans with any Glass Cleaner
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    If you find you would like to replace the windshield I recommend an F4Custom.
    I had one on my Gold Wing and loved it. This is right off of their website and I personally vouch for every claim listed.
    Often it only took water and paper towels to clean the shield. Yes... paper towels...will not scratch the shield.
    When it comes time to replace the shield on my ‘21 RTL I will definitely buy another F4. Pricey but worth it.

https://f4customs.com/

UPGRADE YOUR MOTORCYCLE'S WINDSHIELD
    High Optics Polycarbonate
    Fantastic Scratch Resistance
    Great Rain Shedding
    Impact Resistance.
    Chemically Sealed. Cleans with any Glass Cleaner
    The F4 is made from the scratch-resistant polycarbonate material, unlike most others, which are made from acrylic.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Sorry haven't been able to get on here for a while. For the most part I have just used water. I did clean it once with Slipstream motorcycle windshield cleaner, I have used it on my old Goldwing windshield ( a Slipstream ) with no ill effect. This is not the original shield as it had a goldwing vent installed and is clear. My understanding is my 2015 RTS came originally with a shorter than stock shield with a light tint but I could be mistaken. I hadn't noticed it to this extent last year but it only shows at certain angles. If the sun is at your back its pretty distracting through most of the shield. The po may have used something harsh when cleaning it. I did notice it slightly when I purchased it last August but not this bad. Its not just the rainbow it seems kinda like bunches of pinholes but you don't feel anything when u rub your hand over surface. I hate to drop $400 for a shield if I don't have to as I was going to install a hitch and harness. But push comes to shove the shield would be the obvious choice.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Couple things to suggest. First, it might be a good time to chop the windscreen. That way you wouldn't have to look through it. Second, if you need a new/different windscreen, I have quite a few you could choose from. I seem to be collecting them.
    I might end up hitting you up. "If its not one thing its another thing" Roseanna Roseanna dana

Spyder Garage

Has anyone heard of these guys https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/SpyderRTprod.html they seem to have a lot of science behind their shields. Has anyone looked into or bought one of their shields ?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Has anyone heard of these guys https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/SpyderRTprod.html they seem to have a lot of science behind their shields. Has anyone looked into or bought one of their shields ?
    Thanks
    Anyone heard of them?!? Anyone looked into or bought one of their shields?!? I'd say so!!

There's a LOT of info here on the Forum about them/their windshields at al, well worth a search & doing some reading if you want to know more. Even just typing 'calsci' into the search bar & clicking on the 'Search titles only' box before hitting the 'submit' button will bring back maybe 3 pages of threads.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-07-2021 at 05:51 PM. Reason: orbought??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default windshield damage

Here is the windshield. resized a couple of times so hope its visible.
    looking at calsci and f4 as possible replacements.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I did some measurements and this shield is a giant, 28 inches tall 29 inches wide at widest point. only thing I've found so far this large was the f4 . How can u tell its their shield ? is their a logo or mark somewhere on it ?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

I did some measurements and this shield is a giant, 28 inches tall 29 inches wide at widest point. only thing I've found so far this large was the f4 . How can u tell its their shield ? is their a logo or mark somewhere on it ?
    Thanks
    My f4 shield has name and dot number hot pressed into lower left corner.
    2014 RT Limted, platinum, with matching 622 trailer.

Ultimate tall boy seat w/adjustable back rest, Corbin armrests, Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard, BRP side air vents, Lamonster lidlox, cargo nets, Stebel air horn, Wrap my spyder accents......and more

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks
    See my thread https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ds-on-2014-RTL

Here's another recent thread https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ile-test-drive
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks, still debating which shield to get. I'll call Don at f4 and the fella at Calsci this week.
    Thanks again

Spyder Garage

When I called Don he had a "blemished" shield that he sold for a great price, I've had it for 3 yrs. and haven't found the "blem" yet. I clean mine with dollar store glass cleaner and
    those blue shop paper towels, no scratches yet.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Monk....What windshields do you have ?? I have a 2014 RTL and want a shorter shield......Height of the stock shield is right in my line of vision....Would like a vent in it too if they make such a thing.....e mail me.....don't know how messaging here works....thanks....joy yippeee.joy@gmail.com