Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner Belt Life

I am a new owner of a 2014 Spyder RT. I was inspecting the drive belt and noticed small bumps in the belt. Turns out there are small stones between the belt and sprocket. Removed a couple of them and one of them did put a very small hole through the belt. Do I need to replace the belt?

Spyder Garage

get the small stones out. make sure all out. if bumps don't go to THRU holes, you'll be OK for a while. keep an eye on it from time to time. for piece of mind later, change it when your budget can do it.

edit: might want to file / sand down any projections above cogs to prevent belt wear
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

If you mark those bumps with a white paint pen it makes them easier to find and keep track of.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

What they said.

I will add this: if the hole in the middle of the belt and its really small, you're okay. If the hole is on the edge, then you probably can keep an eye on it and start saving/thinking about a replacement down the road. I wouldn't worry about bumps caused by rocks that don't penetrate the belt. And, like Wood said, make sure the sprockets are smooth and don't have any damage caused by the rocks.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adolfo View Post
    I am a new owner of a 2014 Spyder RT. I was inspecting the drive belt and noticed small bumps in the belt. Turns out there are small stones between the belt and sprocket. Removed a couple of them and one of them did put a very small hole through the belt. Do I need to replace the belt?
    Re-place - I wouldn't .....Life - I think 250,000 mi. minimum .... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input, 22k on odometer, belt appears as new so I'll keep an eye on it. What's average miles for one of these belts?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adolfo View Post
    Thanks for the input, 22k on odometer, belt appears as new so I'll keep an eye on it. What's average miles for one of these belts?

No one really knows the answer to that yet! There are many out there with over 50,000 miles on them; some with over 100,000 miles; and I believe even a few pushing (if not already exceeding) 200,000 miles!

I think you've gotta be pretty unlucky (or get caught on new chip-seal or other reeeaaallly damaging surfaces ) to do any real damage to them, altho it does happen, as some here can well attest. . But for most, with a liitle bit of care & a touch of luck, even if they might get a small hole or two in them, I reckon their drive belts will likely outlast their Spyder's engines - and they tend to be pretty robust & long-lived too - for most, anyway!

Just Ride More, Worry Less! And maybe inspect your belt every oil change, while you're at it!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    .... I reckon their drive belts will likely outlast their Spyder's engines ....
    Maybe aye, maybe no....

Pic at 23k miles. At this point the belt would jump teeth under hard acceleration.

I agree though a small hole in the middle(ish) of the belt is of little concern.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    Maybe aye, maybe no....

Pic at 23k miles. At this point the belt would jump teeth under hard acceleration.

I agree though a small hole in the middle(ish) of the belt is of little concern.
    If you are using that pic as your reference on this, I have to dis-agree .... on the rear sprocket, which is 46 in. +/- in circumference ... a little more than half ( 23in.) is in contact with the belt. If the sprocket has 87 (?) teeth, that's about 45 teeth in contact with the drive belt. I don't believe its possible to for that belt to slip ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... I have to dis-agree ...:
    Yes, I thought you might. There is nothing to disagree with, it's fact.

The slipping was on the front sprocket and sounded pretty violent. The nylon lining is completely worn off the thrust side of the belt and the pattern on the teeth indicated they were bending when loaded.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.

Spyder Garage

The slipping was on the front sprocket and sounded pretty violent. The nylon lining is completely worn off the thrust side of the belt and the pattern on the teeth indicated they were bending when loaded.
    What dose the front sprocket look like, and what do you keep the belt tension on? I could see if you run a loose belt it could slip on the front end and take out the belt, seen a sled belt grenade that way and leave hand full's of little nubs in the belly pan, and they don't run a cogged sprocket! If I had a belt with some, or a hole in it, if it had any size to it I think I would change it out, yes there tough as nails, but the bike don't roll with out it!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

If the slipping was on the FRONT Sprocket .... Then why are you showing us the REAR Sprocket ????? .... actually never mind ..... Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe aye, maybe no....

So this picture is the front/drive sprocket?

I have seen several Motorcycles (not Spyders) that had this problem. Unfortunately the owner/rider has not been using do diligence about inspections with the belt and sprockets.

TIP: Do not Ryde on fresh tar, or chip and seal, or graded poorly roads, or gravel roads.........

You know the drill ......someone is going to have a large repair bill........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    So this picture is the front/drive sprocket?
    Erm, no, that's a rear sprocket. The picture was given to clearly show the wear which takes place on a drive belt. There is a very obvious space between the teeth of the belt relative to the sprocket. It seems drive belt wear is variable bike to bike likely dependent on road conditions where one rides.

TIP: Do not Ryde on fresh tar, or chip and seal, or graded poorly roads, or gravel roads.........
    I absolutely go along with that advice, the only time I've seen a holed belt is after riding in new chip and seal. However, the rider was aware of a different feel to the bike and that was what alerted the investigation. Just one small tarry chip trapped in the rear sprocket made a difference to the smooth running of the bike. I guess sometimes it's unavoidable because one ends up on a newly surfaced road but it's worth a roadside belt/sprocket check if there's any change of feel in the bike.

Spyder Garage

Just did 8 miles on gravel,dirt, and road base. I checked the belt --- it's fine. I do have the missing belt guard though and it was one of the first mods I did. NO CHIP SEAL !!!!!!!
    LEW L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow