Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Thoughts on upgrading old Spyder vs purchasing new.

Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum for a while, but just recently joined. I have been the owner of a 2014 RT Limited for about a year now. The bike is in very good condition, and has relatively low miles (about 11,000). My wife and I have just recently been putting some miles on the bike. We did not ride much together last year due to her being in school, but we are planning on hitting it hard this year.

So to my question...
    I have been reading a lot about the improvements to the new RT Limited vs the previous model. I am trying to justify purchasing a new model vs upgrading my current bike. I have already had to put a fair amount of money into my 2014 due to a DESS error fix, rear tire replacement, and oil change. I know the last two are just maintenance, but nothing on the Spyder is cheap. I have heard that some big improvements can be made to 2 up riding with BR's swaybar and suspension upgrades. My wife and I are easily over 450 lbs combined, so we get a lot of body roll in corners, which makes her nervous. I know the new Limited has heated seats as well, which would be a big plus for my wife. I have seen a couple of options for putting heated seats on the older models, but none of them are cheap. Then there is the radio / speakers. I have yet to hear the speakers on the new RT, but mine leave a little to be desired. Once again, I know they can be upgraded, but that is not cheap either.

I guess to get to my point...if I upgrade to the newer model, am I just going to have to make all of the same upgrades to be happy with it, or is the new model that much better? I have read opinions that go in both directions. I mainly just want my wife to be comfortable and happy. I have other bikes to ride when I am solo. The only thing I can tell for sure is that I like the floorboards far better on the new model. I have always found the foot position of my Spyder to be odd and a bit cramped.

Just looking for opinions from those that might have had to make this same decision.

Spyder Garage

Sounds to me like you have pretty well talked yourself into the new model. Have you ridden it yet? Find a dealer that will let you ride one of the new ones and you will know if piecemeal upgrade or buy the whole hog is the way to go. BTW I have ridden the new one and it is better. Since I just bought a new truck the Spyder upgrade will have to wait

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

This is always a dilemma. The 2014 to 2019 RT LE are basically the same platform. With this in mind, 2020/2021 is where you should be going for an upgrade.

The mileage on your Spyder is low and you will have lots of miles of great riding on it as you go forward. Heated seats are expensive, but not as expensive as buying a newer model. If you have the 2014 Spyder personalized to your liking, I would keep it, if there are issues that you want to upgrade, but come as standard equipment on the newer models, upgrade. As pegasus1330 mentions, you need to ride the newer model(s).

Consider an F3 Limited as well. Lower centre of gravity, doesn't roll as much in the corners, less plastic to remove for work, don't have to start at the mirrors and work your way down through the various panels. Good rear trunk, can put two full face helmets in it. Set of arm rests for the Mrs makes her riding enjoyment that much better.

Regardless of the Spyder and year, I would upgrade the rear shock to suit your two up riding. Will make a huge difference for the Mrs.

I test rode a 2020 RT LE stock model. Liked the ride, took the Mrs for a ride on a 2018 F3 Limited, she liked the ride. Found a 2014 RT LE with low Kms - 9100 (approximately 5000 miles) and it was too good a deal to pass up, the Mrs liked the RT LE better so now it's in our garage. Can do a lot of upgrades for the difference in price, do my own maintenance and installs.

During the demo road test, found there to be a lot of roll in the corners so you may have some suspension changes such as a beefier sway bar, even upgrade the shocks to do - I'm upgrading the stock shocks on my 2014 - already have the beefier sway bar.

The rear trunk is more functional on the newer models. Securing helmets on my 2014 is an annoyance - not a show stopper, especially coming from the Goldwing world - still have an '85 Limited Edition Goldwing to satisfy my two wheel needs. Not into a radio, like the quiet of the ride.

I would treat this decision much like buying a house. Do a pros/cons list, put some dollar figures in, and then determine if an upgrade is the way to go.

Whichever decision you make will be the right one for you. The only caveat is that if you have a niggling feeling on which way to go - the what if, or the yes but feeling, go new. Nothing worse than the coulda, woulda, shoulda scenario.

Good luck.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wick76 View Post
    Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum for a while, but just recently joined. I have been the owner of a 2014 RT Limited for about a year now. The bike is in very good condition, and has relatively low miles (about 11,000). My wife and I have just recently been putting some miles on the bike. We did not ride much together last year due to her being in school, but we are planning on hitting it hard this year.

So to my question...
    I have been reading a lot about the improvements to the new RT Limited vs the previous model. I am trying to justify purchasing a new model vs upgrading my current bike. I have already had to put a fair amount of money into my 2014 due to a DESS error fix, rear tire replacement, and oil change. I know the last two are just maintenance, but nothing on the Spyder is cheap. I have heard that some big improvements can be made to 2 up riding with BR's swaybar and suspension upgrades. My wife and I are easily over 450 lbs combined, so we get a lot of body roll in corners, which makes her nervous. I know the new Limited has heated seats as well, which would be a big plus for my wife. I have seen a couple of options for putting heated seats on the older models, but none of them are cheap. Then there is the radio / speakers. I have yet to hear the speakers on the new RT, but mine leave a little to be desired. Once again, I know they can be upgraded, but that is not cheap either.

I guess to get to my point...if I upgrade to the newer model, am I just going to have to make all of the same upgrades to be happy with it, or is the new model that much better? I have read opinions that go in both directions. I mainly just want my wife to be comfortable and happy. I have other bikes to ride when I am solo. The only thing I can tell for sure is that I like the floorboards far better on the new model. I have always found the foot position of my Spyder to be odd and a bit cramped.

Just looking for opinions from those that might have had to make this same decision.
    ... I also have a 2014 RT and this is my last Spyder .... 58,000+ miles and very few issues ( most were fixed under warranty ). I also had the DESS issue ( warranty ). ... I then moved the DESS to a place under the right headlite ( ease of removal if necessary ) ( then had DESS canceled by " Joel the Biker ") some have changed the REAR spring to a stronger one.... The amp in the RT is NOT the problem, it's the crappy speakers and they arn't hard to change - but you must do all four or all you will notice is the crappy ones .... I'd keep it, the newer models have issues of their own ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post

The mileage on your Spyder is low and you will have lots of miles of great riding on it as you go forward. Heated seats are expensive, but not as expensive as buying a newer model. If you have the 2014 Spyder personalized to your liking, I would keep it, if there are issues that you want to upgrade, but come as standard equipment on the newer models, upgrade. As pegasus1330 mentions, you need to ride the newer model(s).
    My Spyder is bone stock, so I would be starting the modding essentially from scratch. I guess that is why I am pondering this decision. I know that I will most likely have a few thousand dollars in my upgrades to get the 2014 to my liking, which I don't mind doing if the end result is a better ride. My concern is that I end up buying a new model, and still feel like I need to do all of the same upgrades to be happy with it. I suppose everyone goes through this dilemma when making this decision. I have purchased things in the past just based on the fact that it is newer and shinier. I guess I am trying to be a little more of a grown up with my decision making. It is harder than it looks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... I also have a 2014 RT and this is my last Spyder .... 58,000+ miles and very few issues ( most were fixed under warranty ). I also had the DESS issue ( warranty ). ... I then moved the DESS to a place under the right headlite ( ease of removal if necessary ) ( then had DESS canceled by " Joel the Biker ") some have changed the REAR spring to a stronger one.... The amp in the RT is NOT the problem, it's the crappy speakers and they arn't hard to change - but you must do all four or all you will notice is the crappy ones .... I'd keep it, the newer models have issues of their own ..... good luck ... Mike
    Thanks for the reply. I love hearing that people still love their old rides! I have a couple of older Harley's that I just can't part with. They are worth more to me than whatever Blue Book says anyway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Spyder is bone stock, so I would be starting the modding essentially from scratch. I guess that is why I am pondering this decision. I know that I will most likely have a few thousand dollars in my upgrades to get the 2014 to my liking, which I don't mind doing if the end result is a better ride. My concern is that I end up buying a new model, and still feel like I need to do all of the same upgrades to be happy with it. I suppose everyone goes through this dilemma when making this decision. I have purchased things in the past just based on the fact that it is newer and shinier. I guess I am trying to be a little more of a grown up with my decision making. It is harder than it looks.
    Some of us enjoy modding. Others don't. If you're in the latter category and can afford to, buy the latest version and quit the dithering.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

In my opinion you have to be careful you're not putting lipstick on a pig.

The major difference between your old bike and the new is the change in design. No matter how much money you put in your old bike you can't change the design. A number of years ago, I was involved with a fleet upgrade vs new purchase of a customers vehicles. The customer was disappointed in the upgrade and after a few years decided to buy new after all. An expensive mistake. However. if you're mostly satisfied with your old bike then upgrade in a major way not just a few things here and there.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

I'm in the same boat as Mike. When I bought my Spyder at the end of MY '14 I added the major farkles I wanted as part of the OTD deal (Bajaron sway bar & laser alignment, Tri-Axis handlebars, Comfort Seat and Zumo 590) and a few others shortly after with the intention of it being my last motorcycle. Seventy-two thousand miles later my intention has not changed one iota. The parking brake motor was replaced under warranty and the bike has given me everything I've asked of it. Tomorrow I could go out and buy a brand new 2021 but my frugal (wife says world class cheap) mind repeatedly asks, "Why?"
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I waited until they made a significant design change but extensively test rode models 2014 and 2018 in-between.
    Yep... 2021 was the one after waiting for any new design bugs from 2020 to be corrected if there were any.
    So glad I waited... am impressed with what a nice vehicle it has morphed into..after coming off a 2008 Gold Wing trike which I loved.
    ...except for the paint...really thin paint on this model Spyder... my only concern at this time.

Go ride a 2021...guarantee you will like it.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Your 2014 RT LE is worth 50% of new, and has no upgrades to not increase sale price, but to enhance the salability. Looked on line, average retail sale price is approximately $15K, and you will be shelling out another $15K to buy new. Side by side, both Spyders - new and yours need the same upgrades to enhance the ride.

It has been mentioned that the major difference is the design, specifically how the Spyder looks. Under the plastic, not a lot has changed.

Beefier sway bar, shock upgrade, a belt tensioner to minimize any drive belt vibration (this does work). Heated seat option, picked one up from this forum, a comfort heated seat - plug and play for a reasonable price. Set of arm rests for the Mrs - can't go wrong with this upgrade. The radio speaker upgrade as Mike mentions. You are more than capable to install the belt tensioner, speakers, shocks, and arm rests. Don't need a lot of tools either. Sway bar and rear shock is probably more challenging, shop work or have a friend drop by.

PDF electronic service manuals are available and inexpensive.

The issue is that upgrades and the cost of these upgrades being equal regardless of the platform, ends up being in addition to the purchase price. If the mechanical attributes were starting to go, upgrade, if the engine was burning oil and such, upgrade. Can't do much about the electrical/electronic systems. A new electrical/electronic system can fail just as well as an older system. If you are going to do upgrades do sooner than later so you enjoy these and don't spend money down the road for someone else to enjoy. Haven't seen many on this or other motorcycle forums that have not added or upgraded their ride. This is all additional money.

If you want to ride, and do sell, you have to buy another. The used market is not that plentiful, seems these Spyders are in demand. Finding a new one to your liking without travelling may not be easy either.

Since your major issue(s) are radio speakers and cornering, approximately $2K in parts (sway bar, shocks and speakers), should fix your ride substantially. Ride it for another year or two, still want to upgrade to new, go for it. Most of the 2014 depreciation has been done, and the upgrades will enhance the salability.

Lots to think about.
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE

Ernest

Spyder Garage

I can agree with everyone's comments so far, even though there are a lot of differences. I previously owned a 2015 RTL and traded it for a 2020 RTL. I do all of my own upgrades and maintenance, so take that out of the equation. What pushed me to the 2020 was the changes to the footboards, and the rear storage. ( Two full face helmets fit!) The pleasant surprises were the improved suspension and steering assist. I have made many changes and upgrades since buying the 2020, though, and I'm still convinced I made the right decision to trade in. Perhaps you should take the above advice and test drive a new one, and also, get the dealer to give you a bona fide trade in value. That would allow you to further evaluate your own situation and make a decision. If you do not do your own maintenance, consider that a new one starts with a new warranty, and you can also negotiate a service contract with the dealer for non-warranty work and maintenance. After a test drive, your wife might make the decision for you! Just sayin"!!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

11000 and just started riding with wife? My opinion is keep it all summer and ride with your wife a lot. If you both love it then look to upgrade. You got to find your style first. The 14-19 RT is top of the line. 20-21 is premium. Get experience, find your riding style as in 2 up and then decide. Why upgrade if you haven’t experienced it yet? Hands down, my wife and I put 14000 miles on our 17RT last year and yes she likes the newer RT but why fix what isn’t broken. It’s way better than my old Harley. My vote ride it, gain experience and specific needs and wants and then upgrade. To expensive to guess right now in today’s economy.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Dupe post
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

The market is also pretty tight right now. Great for getting top dollar out of you old ride, but makes a new one harder to find and less opportunity to bargain.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

I think you have seen 1/2 of what’s coming with regards to the “next gen” Spyder. 20/21 models brought the appearance/convenience/comfort upgrades. Wait a year or two and get the other 1/2- engine/drivetrain upgrades.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

Wick76-one thing I don't see anyone pointing out is seating on the 2020 and up vs the older models. I bought my first Spyder RTL last year I had it in my mind to by used to see if I liked three wheels. All I needed was to sit on the older Spyder and the new one and there was no comparison. The new one is MUCH more comfortable and roomy. FWIW I'm 6" and my wife is 5"9" so we're both fairly tall and appreciate the seat and legroom. Obviously more money up front but no regrets here. Good luck with your decision.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
    Your 2014 RT LE is worth 50% of new, and has no upgrades to not increase sale price, but to enhance the salability. Looked on line, average retail sale price is approximately $15K, and you will be shelling out another $15K to buy new. Side by side, both Spyders - new and yours need the same upgrades to enhance the ride.

It has been mentioned that the major difference is the design, specifically how the Spyder looks. Under the plastic, not a lot has changed.

Beefier sway bar, shock upgrade, a belt tensioner to minimize any drive belt vibration (this does work). Heated seat option, picked one up from this forum, a comfort heated seat - plug and play for a reasonable price. Set of arm rests for the Mrs - can't go wrong with this upgrade. The radio speaker upgrade as Mike mentions. You are more than capable to install the belt tensioner, speakers, shocks, and arm rests. Don't need a lot of tools either. Sway bar and rear shock is probably more challenging, shop work or have a friend drop by.

PDF electronic service manuals are available and inexpensive.

The issue is that upgrades and the cost of these upgrades being equal regardless of the platform, ends up being in addition to the purchase price. If the mechanical attributes were starting to go, upgrade, if the engine was burning oil and such, upgrade. Can't do much about the electrical/electronic systems. A new electrical/electronic system can fail just as well as an older system. If you are going to do upgrades do sooner than later so you enjoy these and don't spend money down the road for someone else to enjoy. Haven't seen many on this or other motorcycle forums that have not added or upgraded their ride. This is all additional money.

If you want to ride, and do sell, you have to buy another. The used market is not that plentiful, seems these Spyders are in demand. Finding a new one to your liking without travelling may not be easy either.

Since your major issue(s) are radio speakers and cornering, approximately $2K in parts (sway bar, shocks and speakers), should fix your ride substantially. Ride it for another year or two, still want to upgrade to new, go for it. Most of the 2014 depreciation has been done, and the upgrades will enhance the salability.

Lots to think about.
    I am leaning towards this line of thought. $2 to $3k in upgrades is no drop in the pan, but it is far better than 15k. Also...I can't imagine that there will be much of a drop in resale value in the next few years. Around here anyway, it seems that people are asking for / getting over book value for post 2014 model Spyders. I was following a couple of them on FB Marketplace that sold for $1k over KBB value. They definitely seem to be in demand. I may just bite the bullet and go all in on the big suspensions upgrades and speakers all at once. Then in 2 or 3 years I can evaluate weather or not to buy a new model. Maybe they will have some new shiny colors by then.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    I think you have seen 1/2 of what’s coming with regards to the “next gen” Spyder. 20/21 models brought the appearance/convenience/comfort upgrades. Wait a year or two and get the other 1/2- engine/drivetrain upgrades.
    I agree with this as well. They seem to always be tweaking things as the years go on, which is a good thing. I like when companies continue to refine their products.

Also...looking at your pics, we must have very similar tastes in bikes AVBIZ. I have a 2020 Vespa SuperTech, and I rode an MP3 500 for years. I will pretty much ride anything with 2 or 3 wheels. I do not discriminate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
    Wick76-one thing I don't see anyone pointing out is seating on the 2020 and up vs the older models. I bought my first Spyder RTL last year I had it in my mind to by used to see if I liked three wheels. All I needed was to sit on the older Spyder and the new one and there was no comparison. The new one is MUCH more comfortable and roomy. FWIW I'm 6" and my wife is 5"9" so we're both fairly tall and appreciate the seat and legroom. Obviously more money up front but no regrets here. Good luck with your decision.
    Yes....this is one of the biggest differences I have seen between the two models. Mine seems a bit more cramped for sure vs the new models, and I have never loved the angle of the floorboards on the older models. I have considered the highway pegs to alleviate some rider fatigue on longer rides.

Spyder Garage

I have a '14 RT. Plain Vanilla. Upgraded the heck on it. No way I could even get any of that back. Most folks buying a Spy der say, 'well, the book says it's worth...." not even close to the money I put into my bike. It is perfect. And I don't want to give it away. My take is, if you love your bike, keep it. If you don't, go for the new bauble.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    This is what I am waiting for. I love the looks and seating position on the 2020+ RT, but the drivetrain needs to be upgraded before I make that next move. I have had 2 of the 1330 engines (2014 RT, 2016 F3T), and loved them both. But to make another change will take a drivetrain redo, and another year after that for the kinks to be worked out. Until then, I will continue to enjoy my F3T and my newly acquired BMW K1600B.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Also...looking at your pics, we must have very similar tastes in bikes AVBIZ. I have a 2020 Vespa SuperTech, and I rode an MP3 500 for years. I will pretty much ride anything with 2 or 3 wheels. I do not discriminate.
    Yea my wife wanted to learn to ride a scooter; recently passing her MSF motorcycle course and now has a license. She has a 150 Primavera with a max speed of 58 which is fine for her. My old Spyder gets too hot to ride at sub 50 mph speeds so I bought the MP3. I have been pleasantly surprised. Admittedly my Spyder now sits parked a lot more- didn’t realize how much I missed leaning. Ive owned everything from a Harley Road Glide Ultra to a KTM 690. Lately the scoots have my interest.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

I am leaning towards this line of thought. $2 to $3k in upgrades is no drop in the pan, but it is far better than 15k. Also...I can't imagine that there will be much of a drop in resale value in the next few years. Around here anyway, it seems that people are asking for / getting over book value for post 2014 model Spyders. I was following a couple of them on FB Marketplace that sold for $1k over KBB value. They definitely seem to be in demand. I may just bite the bullet and go all in on the big suspensions upgrades and speakers all at once. Then in 2 or 3 years I can evaluate weather or not to buy a new model. Maybe they will have some new shiny colors by then.
    $2K to $3K in solid, non-farkle upgrades is no drop in the pan; however, going out for a dinner once a month and dropping $100.00 for a good dinner is easy to do. Do this for the next three years and you have spent some $3600.00 for a great experience, and good memories. Take a once a month dinner and apply this to the ride upgrades for your Spyder and it doesn't seem to be that much, but you and the Mrs will have many great experiences, meet great people and have lots of good memories of your rides together. Upgrades, expensive, experiences - people - memories, priceless.

Cheers

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE

Ernest