Spyder Garage

Default Observations after first 300 miles

Hi all, I have been riding for a long time on BMW GSs, Triumphs, Hondas and a bunch of trail and dual sport bikes. A knee injury and 5 surgeries do not let me ride a regular 2-wheeler. So, last week, after test driving a Sea to Sky, I bought a 2021 RT Limited in Deep Marsala Metallic - Dark Edition. I liked the Sea to Sky, but prefer red. I opted for the comfort seat and a bunch of other goodies. So far, I really like it!
    My observations after the first 300 miles, half 2-up, half solo: First, it is the right bike for me. It is comfortable and stable. Until the knee injury, I have been riding for a long time on BMW GSs, Triumphs, Hondas and a bunch of trail and dual sport bikes.

Coming from a 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT, it does not have the luxury, fit or finish of the Goldwing. The Can Am seems well made and that is not a complaint, just an observation. In terms of driving it, I keep looking for a sport mode. I am still breaking it in, so I haven’t really forced any acceleration, but it does not have the oomph of the Honda or my BMW GS Adventure. It is probably more on par with my Triumph T100 Black. Again, not a complaint as I prefer to smell the roses than miss them flying by. Once broken in, I am curious about the Pedal Commander.

It is also really weird (but getting better) around the turns. Especially the off-camber ones. I find myself slowing to the recommended (sign posted) speed limit. The bike tracks great, it is just so different than what I am used to! Brakes are really good and nicely progressive. I am looking forward to the time when I don’t feel like the bike is trying to toss me off on a tight turn, lol.

My wife finds it very comfortable. I ordered the comfort seat and passenger armrests. I also ordered the adjustable handlebar riser and think it will make things a bit more comfortable for me. I am 6'2" and feel like I am riding a bit forward.

It has a quiet exhaust (nice) but quite a bit of engine noise – that was surprising (compared to both the Goldwing and Honda. I feel more hear on my feet that my previous bikes.

It has good wind protection and is very stable. Storage is good – but I wish it had keyless entry and keyless locking bags. I replaced the wimpy horn, and it now gets more attention.

I love the floorboards – and that is why I am back to riding!

The headlights are fair and I am adding lights. I wish I could find a light mount to add some Denalis, but so far I have only found kits.

I am happy to be here and happy to be part of an active forum! I am sure I will have a ton of questions!

I am in Western NY if anyone is around!

Safe riding everyone!
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Miles of Smiles & Spyder Ryding! Sounds like you've got yourself a nice machine and are doing OK. But it still might pay to check out this thread: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners - it is pretty long, and some of it is more aimed at the V-Twins, but most people still find it a worthwile read & helpful, particularly with that 'trying to toss me off on a tight turn' feeling!

Enjoy! And we need pics, too!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder -- RTL

I agree with you on your choice for the Spyder. As you get more time and miles on your Spyder you will find that comfort zone. Peter Aawen (Post #2) is a good starting point. For me it was about 1000 miles to get the 'Smile Miles' comfort zone.

Enjoyed reading your post and bring on your concerns about your Spyder.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I also came from a 18 Wing 6 spd manual. Like you many bikes b4 including Beemers . Yes the Spyder does push in corners leaning like a motorcycle helps and bracing your foot on the floorboard helps but it still isn’t perfect. Quality isn’t up to the Jap bikes for sure radio and navigation systems are POS. Switches aren’t the best either. Ride and comfort are great.
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome! I actually have an older spyder in the form of a 2016 F3T. It is quite a joy to ride, but by no means as smooth as the new 2020 & 2021 RT. I considered upgrading to a new RT, especially after my riding buddies made the switch from their 2014 and 2015 RT's to a 2020 RT. After seeing approx. what my difference would be with the trade in value, I took that approx. $16k and picked up another bike. Not a goldwing, but the next closest thing, a 2018 BMW K1600B. I must agree that the fit and finish of the BMW is well beyond the quality of the spyder. And the smoothness and power is also something to behold. But I do not like riding 2 up on 2 wheels. So I will always have a spyder in my stable. And when the time comes, I hope to pick up one of those 2020+ RT bikes. Especially since my wife is scheduled to get her 3 wheel endorsement in September.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are happy with your new ride.

I will address a couple things and let others jump in.

Break in. No special things required...brakes and tires should be easy the first 350 miles or so...to get set in. Your almost at that point. Vary the speeds to get those gears working a bit. The 1330's like to be shifted around 3500 rpms. Seamless upshifts are the result. I usually let the Spyder shift down on its own.

That "fall off the bike in turns" feeling can be solved quickly. Don't enter a turn to fast. Leaning slightly into the turn and planting you foot on the outside floorboard will reduce the g's. Once you get acclimated, 20 mph plus can be done from the posted speed of MOST curves. I like 10 to 15 plus.

Avoid the "death grip" when driving. Pretend that there are eggs between your hands and the grips. Don't break the eggs. A slight push/pull on the handlebars will take you through those turns.

Your bike will get better as it gets more miles on it. Over 4,000 miles will give you the best mpg if you are into that.

Happy Trails.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-27-2021 at 08:36 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red