Spyder Garage

Default To gurus and mentors.

Just finished three states (Arizona,Utah,Nevada) tours total of 1750 miles in 4days with my 2021 RTL.
    The 15 freeway from St George to cedar city speed posted 80 mph most vehicles drives well over 90~100 mph.
    In order to keep up traffic flow I too droves 90.
    This is my first Can Am from The Goldwing.
    How fast Can Am will go is it safe to drive over 100mph
    Advises will greatly appreciated.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am one that is a fan of speed but if you are towing a trailer like in your avatar I wouldn't be going over 80 much less 90.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

If you're comfortable, a well maintained Spyder will be safe at all speeds. I've had mine up to 109 mph just to test the maximum speed. By a co-incidence, at 109 mph, I ran out of both engine and courage, so I'm claiming 109 as max speed. Others may be higher.
    Good tires, properly aligned with a well maintained suspension and you should be fine at 90.
    Of course all the legal caveats, ie the road and road surface need to be in good shape as well as having good weather.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

What others have said. It's all about your comfort zone. Don't drive beyond that. For higher speed operation...your Spyder needs to be in tip top condition. Good tires and proper alignment are very important. And no towable trailers attached.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-25-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Supercrawler View Post
    Just finished three states (Arizona,Utah,Nevada) tours total of 1750 miles in 4days with my 2021 RTL.
    The 15 freeway from St George to cedar city speed posted 80 mph most vehicles drives well over 90~100 mph.
    You are from California- You should be used to the high speeds without turn signals. Ha Ha I do agree with the above recommendations. BTW, I've owned 2 goldwings. Goldwing and spyder are 2 different animals at high speeds.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I am one that is a fan of speed but if you are towing a trailer like in your avatar I wouldn't be going over 80 much less 90.
    Didn't towed trailer at this time.Only when we plan for camping.
    BTW, the Pedal Commander worked awesome on freeway but MPG are horrible.

Thanks all for advised.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I feel safer on my RT at 80 mph than I ever did on my Goldwing at 70!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Pocomo Speedway!

Had the pleasure to attend a fund raiser by going to Pocomo Speedway and doing 3 laps! Stopped at 107ish. Still felt solid, but WAS on a racetrack!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I feel safer on my RT at 80 mph than I ever did on my Goldwing at 70!
    I feel safer due to faster and stable braking. There is a lot more rubber on the road than 2 wheels have. A lot! I learned what that does for you when a deer flew (yes, flew) into my path. I was doing about 50mph and hit the brakes HARD. Stopped short and straight. No drama, except to say that was close. If I had been on my last 2 wheeler w/o ABS, the least that would have happened is I'd have gone down. The deer would not have fared well either.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm going to take a different tack from others on this topic...

First of all, 1750 miles in 4 days isn't touring. It's endurance riding.

Endurance riding is more about the driver's condition, not the machine's capability.

I've driven that stretch of I-15 MANY times and it is simply not true that most vehicles are exceeding the speed limit. In fact, just the opposite is true, because the great change in elevation forces most heavy trucks and RVs to crawl in the right lanes, impeding traffic. It is also HEAVILY patrolled.

A properly set up and maintained RT is capable of far higher sustained speeds than driver capability and road conditions typically allow.

Since you are soliciting advice, mine is to treat your bike as the serious touring machine it is, take the secondary roads in these beautiful western states of ours, stay within posted speed limits regardless of what other drivers are doing and plan for 250 mile days, not 400+
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Since you are soliciting advice, mine is to treat your bike as the serious touring machine it is, take the secondary roads in these beautiful western states of ours, stay within posted speed limits regardless of what other drivers are doing and plan for 250 mile days, not 400+
    STRONGLY agree. If the intent is to zip past the scenery so fast you can’t even see it the Spyder is the wrong machine. Take the time to enjoy the ryde....

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

I did a few 400 mile days with Harley riding buddies in my 40s and 50s, but was really worn out at the end of those days.(9am to 6pm)! Mostly did 250-300 in my 60's. Did 1 ride up from southern Cali in 2017 at age 71! Yikes!! 450+ miles!! I was not worth a darn for the next 3 days. Haven't taken any long rides on our 2014 RTL yet; just a few 100 milers.
    Really enjoy these shorter distance rides. Happy to still be riding at 75 years old. Stay safe is the best advice of all.

Spyder Garage

It is not the speed that hurts you. It is the sudden stop. High speed riding would be fine, if there were no deer, no dogs that suddenly run out from the side of the road, and no other vehicles that could pull out from a side road. Even on the Interstate Highways, there could be situations where a sudden stop is not only required, but forced on you. You can ride as fast as you want, but the faster you go, the longer it takes to stop.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Top Safe Speed

Not really sure about the question. Do you want to Ryde your Spyder + 100 mph? Are you going to see how fast your Spyder will go?

As others have posted about your safety, high speed = much longer stopping distance.

As for me I don't have any need for 'Speed'. I prefer the 'Smile Miles'.
    It's your Spyder and you can do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Stay Safe and Enjoy your Ryde Time. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Yep. Done that stretch many many times and I know what you mean. On the grades it slows considerably, but on the flats I've had my doors blown off by triples doing a 100 mph. I try to keep to the posted limit, but I don't like getting passed constantly so I will up my speeds to the mid 80mph range and then try to stay out of the way. The Spyder will do those speeds comfortably and without drama all day long for days on end. (I've done it crossing Utah, Wyoming, and Montana.) I don't like cruising over those speeds, but that's personal preference. The bike will do it.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I hate that stretch of road. It is crowded,I feel like I am driving in downtown traffic at 80 mph. The right lane is very rutted from the heavy truck traffic and the speed can change a lot as you go up then come down the hills. I actually don't like I 15 at all. It used to be that after Nephi the traffic thinned out but not any more. I am so glad that my vehicle now is the Spyder. It is very stable around those trucks and can travel all day at any speed the traffic wants to go at. I am fortunate that from my home in Spring City I can hop on US 89 and go in either direction to anywhere in Utah I need to go.
    If I were you I wouldn't worry about the speed or the capability of your spyder at speed. It will do pretty much what you want it to do in the way of Safe and comfortable travel. JMHO YMMV

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If you go by the under-posted speeds (especially in Oregon) then I drive/ride too fast. I like going fast, but within reason - taking all parameters into consideration. We have lot of curvy/twisty, lightly traveled back roads that I love flinging the bike around in the corners. It's my kind of fun and good exercise too!
    I am very fortunate to be riding and riding aggressively at 84. I was at my 2 wheel peak in my 60s and 70s, doing 600 mile days (riding across the country) and challenging super twisty roads. I even did the Three Flags Classic a few times. Not bragging, just sayin' I'm very lucky with what life has handed me.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome