Spyder Garage

Default DPS, Limp home mode

Ok i have a 2012 Spyder Rt Limited with 33,625 miles on it. I was on a long ride yesterday and on the way back down to the valley of the sun the DPS came on check engine light to plus it went in to Limp home mode and the handle bar picture came on too. I pulled off the interstate on the shoulder and shut it off. After about 5 minutes i started it back up and there was no warning lights were on and the bike ran great all the way back home. I know the DPS is Dynamic Power Steering and on the way back home the steering felt ok. So i'm going to pull the codes from it when i get off work. Any advice or opinions on this problem. Or is time to go to the dealer and have the Bud plugged in..

Thank you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dealer time…..
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Sampi. Actually it’s Dynamic Power Steering, and it draws a lot of electrical power. So, historically, the most often reported reason for this was an aging battery and/or loose or dirty battery terminal connections. The 998 charging system isn’t that robust. So, if you’re running at lower RPMs and using the steering heavily, you can get into this situation with an older battery. You can check all of that yourself if so inclined. The dealer can use BUDS to check the zero on the torque and steering angle sensors. The DPS system sensors do sometimes fail, and it’s pricey to replace, but you can check this other stuff first.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

As Snowbelt Spyder has mentioned check the battery first. Take into a battery shop and have it load tested and checked to determine if any of the cells are getting weak, the battery will rob from the electrical system. When this happens, electric gremlins start showing up, just my observation with my Spyder. These are power hungry machines.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your reply's. I will check all the battery connections for tightness.

Spyder Garage

I did not know about the weak charging system on these year of spyders. I was drawing some power to run my Sena HM10 so it would draw alot from a weak battery if that is what is the problem. When i pulled over to the side of the road the first thing i did was turn off the Sena HM10 to eliminate the electrical draw. The spyder fired right up and all was good running back from Payson the to the valley and home. Battery time maybe.
    I just checked for codes and there is none. Volt meter reads 14.2 volts but it was on the charger too.

Thank you

Spyder Garage

Don't think the early Spyders have a weak charging system, but one that is adequate for the Spyder as it was when it left the factory. Then we put us on the machine, and we do mods, and all bets are off.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
    Don't think the early Spyders have a weak charging system, but one that is adequate for the Spyder as it was when it left the factory. Then we put us on the machine, and we do mods, and all bets are off.
    yes i do agree. Im going to replace the battery just for peace of mind.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
    Before 2014 , Spyders had Magneto charging systems and IMHO they were marginal at best. ... I think you had to keep the revs about 4000 rpms or it wouldn't re-charge the Battery ...... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sampi1099 View Post
    yes i do agree. Im going to replace the battery just for peace of mind.
    Folks who add STAR washers to the terminals have less Battery issues ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

+1 on the star washers. Also short rides at lower speeds will not recharge your battery. Keep it on a maintainer at least some of the time. DPS is a power hog.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze