Spyder Garage

Default 3M adhesive question

Can light strips that are adhered with 3M adhesive be removed and re-used? If so, could you tell me how you did it and what products you used? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I have not had much luck reusing the adhesive strip after it has been removed or come loose. It takes a little bit of work but I remove the tape and replace with new adhesive foam trim tape. Available from any auto parts store or Amazon.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DingerD View Post
    Can light strips that are adhered with 3M adhesive be removed and re-used? If so, could you tell me how you did it and what products you used? Thanks.
    The light strips can be reused as long as they weren't damaged during removal. Just hook them up to a 12v source to check them out. The remaining adhesive bits are a different issue; I haven't found a simple way to remove that on a flexible surface like the led strips.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I had lights from SpyderPops on my RT Limited and I had to replace the rear bumper. I contacted SpyderPops and since I already had all the connectors installed, they sold me the light strips for $20. They are a great bunch of guys to work with!!!!!
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have not had much luck reusing the adhesive strip after it has been removed or come loose. It takes a little bit of work but I remove the tape and replace with new adhesive foam trim tape. Available from any auto parts store or Amazon.
    .... they MAY stick back on .... but I wouldn't trust them to stay that way ..... it's not designed to be re-usable ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've repurposed lights and had to repair a few that lost adhesion. While there is no easy way to remove the adhesive, one method that can help (if it's genuine 3M VHB automotive gray or black tape vs the light colored VHB foam tape) is to get an end lose, long enough to pinch between your fingers, and then slowly pull parallel to, and away from, the remain adhesive surface. You'll notice a necking down, or thinning, of the tape as it releases from the surface. It will break after a certain strain and you'll need to restart the process. Pinch the tape between the fleshy part of one's finger tips works the best: using one's finger nails, or a pliers or tool, creates a stress riser, a notch, and the tape body will likely tear.

The tape has high performance in pluck and peel, but will not be as strong in the in-plane shear direction: think of 3M Command(r) adhesive wall attachment products. Any remaining adhesive film can be removed by using a stronger, rubber-based adhesive such as 3M Duct Tape or Filament (Strapping) tape: press a fresh piece of tape over the remnants, apply pressure over the remnants, and then bend the tape back 180 degrees over the target (creating a tight "U" shape) and pull slowly.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Tape itself is toast , can carefully remove from LEDs or whatever with razor scraper & reapply new tape, little tedious but can be done. Cut to fit (with red backing still in place)wipe down any surface with rubbing alcohol, (let evaporate dry) line up tape to stick on first try.
    It will stretch & change shape or wrinkle if go too fast When putting back on bike apply good even amount of pressure for few minutes or more. There is a adhesive primer may help, sorry haven’t used just alcohol prep has worked (knock on wood) FYI had one of Mohawks get loose/came off with the oem tape
    E533B6F5-DDA5-4804-93E8-CBA025DAF8E2.jpeg

retrieved cleaned reapply holding firm 10k+ Does have larger surfaces to stick to
    Last edited by Bfromla; 05-24-2021 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Pic

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you need to remove 3M VHB adhesive and the object it is holding, the easiest way is to use a piece of fishing line, monofilament or braided, to "slice" the tape. Hold the fishing line much line one would hold dental floss, getting the line to enter the middle of the tape, parallel to the tape mounting surfaces. Use a stead pull is the direction of the mounting surfaces, along with a side-to-side motion on the string, to "saw" down the length of the joint.

This works for LED lights, the BRP badging on the Spyders, etc. Then one can use the aforementioned method to remove the remaining tape halves from the mounting surfaces.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DingerD View Post
    YES they can be removed easily using a heat gun ( be careful ) and then replace the tape with new,
    you can buy it at any auto body supply along with the chemical to remove the left on glue from the paint

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    YES they can be removed easily using a heat gun ( be careful ) and then replace the tape with new,
    you can buy it at any auto body supply along with the chemical to remove the left on glue from the paint
    Have you done this with light strips, Dave? Just wondering how they tolerate the heat.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Have you done this with light strips, Dave? Just wondering how they tolerate the heat.
    Yes If you are worried about using a heat gun switch to a hair drier,all you are doing is softening up the glue on the tape
    so it will come off.