Spyder Garage

Default 21 RT Limited GPS Plug

I searched the forum and didn't find what I was looking for. I just purchased a Garmin Zumo XT and plan on wiring it to the stock GPS Plug. Do I need to buy the "mating" plug (to plug into what Can Am gives us)? I'd rather plug in than "positap" into it.

Also, has anyone used the Robert Becker Design (https://robertbeckerdesign.com/) locking mount? How secure is it (for daytime parking)?

Thanks much,

David
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Drwerner View Post
    ...Also, has anyone used the Robert Becker Design (https://robertbeckerdesign.com/) locking mount? How secure is it (for daytime parking)?
    I have used a Kradellock since I first became aware of it in early 2016. IMO, it is so secure I leave my Zumo 590 on my Spyder all the time except for overnighting on tour. FWIW, I replaced the Phillips head longer screws Mr. Becker provides with the Kradellock with stainless 7 mm hex bolts because the bolts adjust the tension of the up/down angle of the GPS in its mount and I don't like Phillips head screws for that function.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I have used a Kradellock since I first became aware of it in early 2016. IMO, it is so secure I leave my Zumo 590 on my Spyder all the time except for overnighting on tour. FWIW, I replaced the Phillips head longer screws Mr. Becker provides with the Kradellock with stainless 7 mm hex bolts because the bolts adjust the tension of the up/down angle of the GPS in its mount and I don't like Phillips head screws for that function.
    Awesome, thank you!
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Drwerner View Post
    Do I need to buy the "mating" plug (to plug into what Can Am gives us)? I'd rather plug in than "positap" into it.
    Yes, you need the mating plug, although, I'm not sure where you can buy one. I found it was easier using a posi-lock to connect them. On my 2020 RT Limited, what you think was the hot wire, was the ground wire. Be sure to test for the hot wire.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I have a supply of various "bullet" connectors as used on vintage 70's Hondas and Yamahas. I just cut the plug off of my '21 RTL and put female double socket connectors on. One socket feeds my Garmin 396 GPS and the other supplies key-switched trigger to my Electrical Connection fused power plate that I mounted on the other side. Now, when needing switched power (individually fused), I only have to pull one panel to access it. The power plate has a 30 amp fuse feeding it, relay switched from the battery.

BTW, polarity on my '21 was correct.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I cut the GPS accessory plug end off and used a WAGO connector for my Zumo XT. I have also added Lamonster's fog lights and wired them to the same WAGO plug. I have a 2020 RTL.

Spyder Garage

I just installed my Tom Tom Rider using the GPS plug on my '21 RT Limited.

I cut the plug end off, then soldered and heat shrinked the connections.
    I did notice that there is power supplied all the time, regardless of the position of the ignition switch.

Could this be related to the Fuse 6/7 position?

Exco

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
    I just installed my Tom Tom Rider using the GPS plug on my '21 RT Limited.

I cut the plug end off, then soldered and heat shrinked the connections.
    I did notice that there is power supplied all the time, regardless of the position of the ignition switch.

Could this be related to the Fuse 6/7 position?

Exco
    Yes, I believe so. My '21 RTL has the fuse in the as-delivered position and the port is only powered with ignition ON.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Yes, I believe so. My '21 RTL has the fuse in the as-delivered position and the port is only powered with ignition ON.
    Thanks! I thought so.

I'm not worried about the cradle being powered all the time, it is how I had it installed on my HD.

Exco

Spyder Garage

When I installed my XT I found the factory wire, but chose to solder the wires. Won't ever have to worry about it. Did the same for my LED mirror vent turn signal combo.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .