Spyder Garage

Default What's possible for Heat management on an F3-S?

Warmest day this year, upper 80's, wife said she felt a bit of heat from up front. We don't do much traffic. This is a BRP F3s, so much less tupperware than some models. Was reading the other day about the older models, lawsuit, diverter flap. I got the cat out of my muffler on the HD, not sure if that's an option on the Can-am. Warranty or just getting to it. I've not heard the fan kick on yet, and she's not mentioned it.
    I typed "heat management " in the search and didn't find much. Since Memorial Day is almost here can we start the topic?

Spyder Garage

You can feel the heat up front when going at lower speeds. I've never found mine intolerable. Removing the cat is a piece of cake on the F3S, and multiple choices of cat delete pipes. It will reduce heat at slow/stopped situations, but movement will shed the heat away. A search of cat delete will bring a LOT of reading

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Don't be confused about the search results. Most of the old heat problem threads were related to the older versions of the bike using the old 998 motor and not the 1330 ACE used on all current Spyders. There are some minor complaints about the current editions, but not like before where they would spontaneously combust.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I'm finding the heated air coming off the engine in Phoenix is borderline scalding. . Need a way to divert heat as it's burning my calves. Maybe time to park it. F3T
    You all make this site awesome!!! RideThru

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ridethru View Post
    I'm finding the heated air coming off the engine in Phoenix is borderline scalding. . Need a way to divert heat as it's burning my calves. Maybe time to park it. F3T
    Gee 112F to 117F this week in Phoenix and your Spyder seems to run hot? You might try getting a vent kit https://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-Spyder.../dp/B079S6B78J
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Yes it's hot. That link is for a rt.
    You all make this site awesome!!! RideThru

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have mechanical skills I have used " computer fans " to remove heat from my V-twin Spyders and other things.... look on e-bay ..lots of different sizes .... quite inexpensive and they do move a lot of air..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Been riding F3-S for several years now and have not noticed any more heat coming off of it than there was on the previous bikes. The only time it is really noticeable at all is when stopped at lights or in traffic. You will feel heat from most any of them doing that. Moving at a reasonable speed, not any heat coming up to feel. It all goes off in the breeze. I do live in a fairly hot area where it can get over 100 F quite often. I was riding a converted Harley Sportster Trike before I bought the Spyder. The Spyder does not have any more heat coming off of it than the Sporty had.

Is it possible a windshield or something else that was added later, might be directing the heated air up on to the riders?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-13-2021 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Sporster ;-)
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

My F3T would burn my ankle on a longish ride. Cat delete fixed it.

Spyder Garage

You can try a quick fix that worked well on the 998 editions. That being try removing a couple of the plastic splash guards from underneath the bike. They are in several pieces, so removing a small segment should help.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6