Spyder Garage

Default Canada to Mexico ride

Picking up my Ryker 600 on Monday 24th. Orders are coming in everyday for modification. BajaRon's endlinks ,Comie trunk and F-4 windshield already here. GPS arrives Monday,stone guard on order. Can you guys think of anything else I need ? Rain gear, gloves Etc...all old stuff I have from 2 wheelers. Going To take a week breaking her in and then North from North Carolina to Canadian border, turn left and South to Mexican border. As little Interstate as possible.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What size F-4 windshield did you go with?Please let us know how you like that shield.I just bought a new Ryker and plan on getting the 16" F-4 shield.

Spyder Garage

Got a 16 inch. Also an air/water comfort seat cushion on order.

Spyder Garage

Consider an Airhawk or similar seat cushion and Atlas throttle lock.

Have a blast!!

Spyder Garage

looking at a throttle lock, used one b/4.

Spyder Garage

I too set mine up for long distance trips, and that sounds like a Ryker adventure of a lifetime. Haven't heard of any trips of that magnitude being made on the Ryker as of yet. Wish I had the time to do a ride like that, but the best I can do is from central FL to your area, Robbinsville & Bryson City NC, which I've done many times on my two wheelers and love it up there. I'll be making that trip again in October, except this time on the Ryker.

I use a EZ Cruise throttle lock Pic below on the Ryker (pretty standard two wheeler throttle lock). I took it off one of my other bikes. Since I couldnt find one long enough to reach the handguard, I just bolted a little tab on the bottom part of the handguard, extending it about a 1/2" to catch the throttle lock, works just like it did on the bike. Have fun and ride safe. Oh yeah, and keep us posted if you have the time & interweb access.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

I just bought the 16 inch clear and installed it yesterday and took it for a ride what a great windshield,no buffering and very clear,great customer service also.ordered it on Thursday and received it on Saturday,worth the price

Spyder Garage

Not sure if I have seen any one carrying spare gas bottles or tanks on Ryker yet, but have not heard of a trip quite this long (on fun) on a Ryker. You may want to see if one makes sense for you. (Funnel is already there!)

Spyder Garage

Tire plugs and pump
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Picked up the bike today. When I arrived home, max mount ,GPS. backrest. and a few tools had arrived. tomorrow I start putting it all together. Thanks for the suggestions.
    It was an interesting ride home. the return route was twistier than the Dragons Tail. I was doing 20 to 50 on the way home . I learned a lot about the Ryker and curves !
    It WAS SOOOO much FUN.

Spyder Garage

As all things...You know, "Best laid plans"... I have three medical procedures scheduled throughout June Trip will be later than planned.

Spyder Garage

Here is a photo of my extra 1 gallon fuel I carry on my ryker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2021 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Fixed img/attach display commands

Spyder Garage

I dont see how that gas can works in that location, do you not have suspension?

Spyder Garage

Hi RykerRick, My suspension is not effected. It sits high enough that normal travel does not cause a problem. I installed the sling mod 3 piece luggage as you can see. I installed the rotopax up underneath the support base to the top case.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Picking up my Ryker 600 on Monday 24th. Orders are coming in everyday for modification. BajaRon's endlinks ,Comie trunk and F-4 windshield already here. GPS arrives Monday,stone guard on order. Can you guys think of anything else I need ? Rain gear, gloves Etc...all old stuff I have from 2 wheelers. Going To take a week breaking her in and then North from North Carolina to Canadian border, turn left and South to Mexican border. As little Interstate as possible.
    My dream has now been CRUSHED !! This DSS failure has me afraid to ever trust this "thing" on a long solo ride . Can't start the bike because it fails to accept the keys signal! Come on! BRP now stands for "BEFORE RIDING PRAY" If I have this "thing" for the next 10 years and put 50,000 miles on it, I still will NEVER trust it. I've had many bikes and never had an issue , It has failed...And can never be trusted again. I don't have 1,000 miles on it yet . I am so disappointed

Spyder Garage

I would hope you are burning your dealers ears, and BRP? They should be able to fix the problem! We don't hear that much problem with the Ryker on this issue! Good luck with it, don't give up on the dream, keep pounding!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Man has yet to build the perfect machine that wont fail, it doesn't exist. If you go by that one failure, then you will never have a machine that will be 100% trustable to make a long distance journey. I too have owned over 40 bikes throughout my riding career. Everything from BMW, two Honda Goldwings, Moto Guzzi, several Triumps and a plethora of bikes from the Japanese big four. Some had issues right off the showroom floor, others had issues a year or two after purchase, but none of them were perfect. Even one of the most reliable two wheelers made, one of my Goldwing GL 1800's had a complete ECU failure within the first year, that was replaced under warranty. That was an $1800 repair. They are machines, they will break.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    Man has yet to build the perfect machine that wont fail, it doesn't exist. If you go by that one failure, then you will never have a machine that will be 100% trustable to make a long distance journey. I too have owned over 40 bikes throughout my riding career. Everything from BMW, two Honda Goldwings, Moto Guzzi, several Triumps and a plethora of bikes from the Japanese big four. Some had issues right off the showroom floor, others had issues a year or two after purchase, but none of them were perfect. Even one of the most reliable two wheelers made, one of my Goldwing GL 1800's had a complete ECU failure within the first year, that was replaced under warranty. That was an $1800 repair. They are machines, they will break.
    Agree 100%! All to often we let our tools/vehicles, whatever dictate our quality of life, and what we can do! If this were a car, you'd get it fixed, pack the trunk and go. Get the repair taken care of, pack the bike and go. Have a good roadside package and VISA. Worst case is bike stays where it fails, you fly home, get trailer and go pick it up.

Head to Alaska, Dawson City. Very few places to get anything up there. Our trip in 2019 to Dawson City from Victoria was uneventful, but there were lots of people who had RV, vehicle issues in the middle of nowhere. 7 days was not unheard of for a fix, sometimes a round trip of some 400 Kms just to pick up parts, and you did the work yourself. When we did the trip on my ex-1500, Sonya asked about a breakdown and what I was going to do about it. I mentioned that I had serviced the 1500 as much as I could and if it broke down, had a good roadside package and VISA. Took additional communications such as a Garmin Explorer, can always get in touch with someone.

In 2017 headed to Big Sur Park in California on my '85 Goldwing Limited Edition from Victoria BC for one night of camping to meet some of the fellows I corresponded with on a forum. Went over the '85 with a fine tooth comb, and it was mentioned by some on the forum that I did more maintenance/work to the '85 for this trip then some ever did on their Goldwing. Sonya was flying into LA and we were going to travel back up the coast for a nice tour. The issue here was the same, if the bike failed, roadside package and VISA, but I did everything necessary and within reason to ensure nothing would happen when Sonya and I headed north from LA. If the pillion is not happy, makes for a frosty Friday evening so to speak. Trouble free riding home.

Bought an '85 Goldwing Limited Edition in 2017 after it sat in the back forty of this fellows home in Ontario. The following June went back to northern Ontario to my brother's place, did 2 weeks work/maintenance, packed up and headed cross Canada to home in Victoria. Same deal again. Great trip, saw friends and family and had a great time.

People will travel 10,000 miles a year in their local area without a mishap, but mention to them to go for a trip with the same vehicle and the fear factor sets in. If your Spyder starts to act up, turn around and go home, at least you tried.

Great sounding trip, don't want to years from now say coulda, woulda, shoulda. At the end of the day, it's not those that have the most toys that win, but those who have the least regrets. Don't let this be one of your regrets.

Just a thought. Go on your trip, enjoy.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Get it fixed and get on your trip, you will regret it if you don’t. These things happen and likely never happen again. We all take trips with a contingency plan in place and likely never use it. Enjoy the trip! I want to do border to border myself, just completed a 2300 mi trip and no problems. Well, there was that deer but only minor damage. Took off right mirror.