Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default V-twin motor oil

Can you use Rotella T-6 in the V-twin ???? ... thanks .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"You can use Rotella T4 15W-40 engine oil or Rotella T6 5W-40 (synthetic, good for high and low temperatures). These two grades meet the JASO MA specifications and are safe for wet clutches. Mar 12, 2018

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    "You can use Rotella T4 15W-40 engine oil or Rotella T6 5W-40 (synthetic, good for high and low temperatures). These two grades meet the JASO MA specifications and are safe for wet clutches. Mar 12, 2018
    Thanks ... the label doesn't mention anything about " SL " or " SM " , but I was pretty sure it was OK because of the JASO rating .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Years ago I was told that any diesel-rated oil was ok to use in my Harley. Used Delo 400 in one Harley for a long time. It was free. Apparently, diesel oils do not contain the slickeners that are added to car oils which promote higher gas mileage. Harleys with open primaries did not use oil. If BRP had used an open clitch we wouldn't have all these oil threads. Ha. I had a VW with an automatic stick shift. It worked kind of like our spyders. It was a dry clutch. My father-in-law was a millwright on gold dredges and said they ran Chevron (Delo) in everything. I did some research on oils and found that oil is sold by the tank carload. It's sold to the highest bidder. Then the buyer rebrands it, adds additives, and markets it as whatever they want. I guess oils from various regions of the world have different bases. So you may never truly know just exactly what you're buying. BRP oil is rebranded oil. Thank goodness for the Magnuson-Moss Act and SAE.

Spyder Garage

Oil threads are always interesting. We get cranked about what to use. I look for the most economical synthetic oil that has no friction modifiers, and works well. I am using the same oil that I have been using in my Goldwings for the past 5 years - see attached. Bought 10 cases to get the price down, knew I'd use the oil - also use in my car. My '85 and '95 Honda Goldwings were made to an automotive standard and required a good detergent oil that had no friction modifiers - these bikes were also pre-JASO. Have used Rotella T6/T5 and others, but the one I am using now is the best bang for my dollar.

My new to me Spyder requires an oil meeting the API SM or better oil spec with no friction modifiers. There is no mention of JASO - came into being in 1999 - in the owner's manual or the service manual(s). I look for oils that have an API donut that has the oil spec in the upper half and the lower half blank - see attached. Indicates that there are no friction modifiers in the oil so good to go. If JASO is mentioned, it's an indication that there should be no friction modifiers in the oil.

2dogs is correct in that there are only so many plants that produce the oils we use. I was at a Petro-Can refinery years ago and saw the various manufacturers oils on the shelf - Shell/Texaco/Esso and so on. Same base stock, just different additives. Same goes for fuel, appliances, batteries, tires, and the list goes on.

If there is an API donut, make sure the lower half is blank, if no API donut, look for the JASO spec. After this it's cost and availability, and what feels good to you when you ride your bike, specifically when you shift. Some people swear by Rotella, some do not.

As long as you use the proper weight oil, give or take a few numbers, with no friction modifiers, you're good to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

The new wrench in the gears is the fact that the Ryker, having no wet clutch, still specs out a JASO rated oil. Is it 'Recommend what works best'? Or, 'Sell what you have'?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Can you use Rotella T-6 in the V-twin ???? ... thanks .... Mike
    I have been using this oil for 5 years in my VTwin with occasional forays into Valvoline and Royal Purple when they were on sale. As Valvoline doesn't seem to go on sale anymore I just use the Rotella T6. I bought a bunch the last time and now have enough to take me to over 100,000 miles at 2 changes /year.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Rotella oil On Sale at Advance Auto $22.99 gallon